Advice for a busy women in need of some gainz

Options
Hi everyone! I’ve recently gone through a big life style change. I have an intolerance to gluten & I’ve removed it from my diet as well as dairy & refined sugar. I lost my ideal amount of weight, 10 lb (mostly gained from eating processed food and my love of craft beer) I’m currently 5’9” 131 lbs & 21 years old. My goal now is to gain some lean muscle mass but I have a super busy schedule, I’m a full time student and work 20+ hours a week, so I find it difficult to work out as much as I should in order to gain lean muscle. I was wondering if I could have some tips on what busy people do to gain & maintain muscle mass. I have roughly 30-40 minutes a day when I can work out and I usually do 25 minutes of yoga on top of that. Any help & advice would be great! Thanks

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! Besides having your nutrition dialed in (sounds like you are well on your way there) consider the Strong Curves program by Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis. There are several sides to that program, one of which is a home workout program. That might work for you. And, yes - if you know anything about Bret Contreras (The Glute God) then you know the focus of this program (da Booty!).

I have several female friends here in Winston-Salem that do this and they love it.
  • BotanyNerd
    BotanyNerd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I’ll check it out, is it affordable to a broke college student?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    als1121 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!! I’ll check it out, is it affordable to a broke college student?

The book is pretty reasonable...and while I would recommend buying it since the info in it is so valuable, you can also find the templates online for free.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

There is the URL for the .pdf file. I attempted to attach the .pdf for you but was told by the app that this file is not allowed. So, doing the next best thing - giving you the URL.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    I am also following Strong Lifts 5x5 right now. I like the program, generally speaking. And, there is a really cool app for your smart phone (both Android and iPhone). That does require a gym membership, though. It is very squat dominant and incorporates all five big lifts (squats, dead lifts, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press). Lots and lots of options out there - but do not let that confuse you. Sometimes too much available info is worse that no info at all! Enjoy! I am headed to the gym now. :smiley:
  • BotanyNerd
    Options
    I am also following Strong Lifts 5x5 right now. I like the program, generally speaking. And, there is a really cool app for your smart phone (both Android and iPhone). That does require a gym membership, though. It is very squat dominant and incorporates all five big lifts (squats, dead lifts, bench press, barbell rows, overhead press). Lots and lots of options out there - but do not let that confuse you. Sometimes too much available info is worse that no info at all! Enjoy! I am headed to the gym now. :smiley:

You are awesome! I have access to a gym so I’ll check it out too. Have a great workout!
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I do strong lifts 5x5 too - at home, but just with Dumbbells (doesn't progress the same but can still see results). Super easy to stick to can fit in 20- 30 mins. Love it cause can do it around anything else. Don't get super sweaty and need a full shower after- huge time saver... I'm very busy too.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Thanks, girl! I did have a super duper workout. And in 42 minutes. Still in the beginning so the weights are really light (for me, anyway) so only resting the 90 seconds between sets. That will change in one month or so.

Anyway, find something that speaks to you. If you are on the fence between this or that program, then simply ask. Lots and lots of people in here with lots of experience (and those making experiences) who can maybe help you pull the trigger on one program vs. another.

You will get there. :smiley:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've been doing SL5x5 too. Each session (3x/week) takes me about 30 mins. But I have a home gym and don't have to wait for equipment.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    One word: priorities.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    +1
  • BotanyNerd
    Options
    One word: priorities.
    It is a priority to me but unfortunately my classes and work take up roughly 11 + hours of my day. So I’m working with what I got lol

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    That still leaves 13 hours a day! LOL! Just messing with you, @als1121. But, funny story there....

So, I was working with this dude who was a little bit older than I am. He was all gung-ho on getting rid of his beer gut. He was down about 25 miles South of me and we would alternate between the gym where I go and where he goes. Anyway, he kept on telling me how hard it was to make time for the gym. He was truly - or so it seemed - gung-ho about this journey.

Anyway, we looked at his day hour by hour and I bet that y'all know where this is going....six hours of TV at night once he got home. And all of it ESPN. Go figure. Ironic part there was that he had absolutely no flexibility or mobility....he could not do squats, deadlifts, bench press, OHP, nothing. Anyway, thinking that the 'priority' was not really getting in shape. Pretty sure that it was ESPN.......to each their own. I do not judge.

But, you got this, girl! If you can, stick with the big compound lifts as much as possible and stay away from cardio as much as possible. Yes - very general advice. But, generally speaking, good advice. Just take it with a grain a salt according to your plans and goals.

This new life style can actually be a blessing....all depends on how you frame it.

I missed the gym for three months! At first I thought that I might as well just shoot myself in the head three times (you know, to make sure, right?) but then decided that I would make the best of the time away from the gym. I started playing with nutrition and experimented a ton (let me tell you all about the week that I ate +3200 calories everyday.....I died and went to heaven every day!). I now know a lot more about how my body responds to certain stimulus. Carbs are not so good for me. DAB GUM IT! But, moving in the right direction.

If your mind set is correct, then this will be an amazing time in your life. Sounds like you are def on the right track.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Sl5x5 starts out easy and takes less time but now my sessions are around 1hr30min (2.5months into the programme)
  • joeyy888
    joeyy888 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Its not always about how long you spend doing the excercises/going the gym etc. But about how intensively you work your muscles.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    joeyy888 wrote: »
    Its not always about how long you spend doing the excercises/going the gym etc. But about how intensively you work your muscles.

This.

Proper stimulas to the muscles can be accomplished many many different ways.

The newer you are to lifting, the less it takes to create the stress to accomplish stimulas.

Find time.
  • BotanyNerd
    Options
    I’ll keep that in mind. So high intensity, lower reps, roughly 5 sets and more weight is the gist of it? How long should I rest between sets? Also what should my macro ratio be looking like daily? Should my protein intake be over 100g a day?
  • BotanyNerd
    Options
    Any advice is helpful (:
  • BotanyNerd
    Options
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    This busy full time working mom wakes up at 4.30am for her gainzzzzz.