Achieving my goal weighy

Options
Hello!
I’m 5’2 and at the heights weight I’ve been since the freshmen 15 of 127lbs. I’m really down and want to get back to a comfortable weight which is between 115 and 120 ish. I’ve always weight that and unsure what is going on.
Can anyone give me advice? What are healthy ways to see results?
On a side note I seem to gain weighy when I exercise/run a lot. I just want to get back down to a normal weight for my height (which I don’t think is too low) thoughts and suggestions please!

Replies

• StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As you get older, your metabolism slows. So, you can expect that your net calories will increase slowly over time if you keep the same eating habits over a long period of time. In the shorter term, small changes to diet and exercise can add up. For example, if you find yourself stuck to a desk for a longer period of time during the day than previously (my problem), you'll tend to walk around less and burn fewer calories.

If you want to figure out why you're gaining weight, start tracking all of your calories eaten and burned. You are probably taking in more calories than you realize or burning fewer calories than you realize.

As for gaining weight when you exercise a lot, do you eat more when you exercise? It's possible that exercising is making you hungry, and that you are overcompensating by eating more calories than you burned by exercising. Once again, this can be solved by tracking all of your calories eaten and burned.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Put your stats and goals into MFP to get a calorie goal. Since you're already really close to your goal, choose a reasonable weekly goal like .5 pounds per week. Log consistently and accurately (look at the stickied posts for tips) to hit your calorie goal.

If you're truly gaining weight when you exercise, it's probably because you're eating more. It's pretty common for exercise to trigger hunger, so if you're planning to run a lot it may be even more important for you to pay attention how many calories you're eating.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I don't think disclosing your location is necessary. Also, you're much to young to experience a slowing down of metabolism, so what it comes down to is inputting your information and stats on this site / app and see what daily calorie goal it gives you. Get a food scale (inexpensive; can be found for $15 - $20) and start learning how to weigh, measure, and log your food accurately.

Sometimes when we exercise more we tend to be hungrier or think we need to eat more but if you're exercising regularly and vigorously and gaining weight then you're eating too many calories.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The fitness apps / tools I've used generally overestimate caloric burn by a wide margin, in my experience. Treadmills, fitness watches, etc. When I want my numbers to be accurate I wear a good heart rate monitor that links to my watch. It reduces the burn numbers by a good 30-35% from what the default algorithm estimates.

So I'm not sure if you're relying on any calorie burn figures from technology, but if you are, bear that in mind.