Weights-friend or foe?

Options
Just wondering if someone more knowledgeable could advise me... I have heard such mixed reviews about women, weights and weight loss and was hoping someone could clarify...

Basically, I want to be lean and toned but not to look like I'm entering Miss Muscle UK... I have been predisposed to upper arms that resemble a silver back gorrilla... those damn, pesky genetics at work again not helped by my fear of hitting the weights...

Are weights the only thing to banish these bingo wings of mine or is it just going to make them worse by making them even thicker? Are there any exercises you lovely people could suggest to help me feel confident in a strappy top again? (I'm tired of wearing sleeves in the sunshine!)

Thanks Kate x

Replies

• glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    FRIEND! Seriously...I'm of a genetic disposition to be larger than your average woman (I'm also 5'9", but I'll never ever resemble a Willow Tree). That said, I find that the more I lift, the leaner and smaller I get. It WILL take time, and you may go through a phase where you think you look bulky. DON'T STOP LIFTING and don't think you can't lift heavy. I'm slinging anywhere between 12 pound (tricep stuff) to 35 pound (chest press, overhead press, squats, lunges) dumbbells and find that every 3 months, I'm leaner, tighter, and smaller.
  • manitou1913
    manitou1913 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The beauty is if you DO get big and bulky (unlikely - it takes a LOT of work and dedication to get big and bulky!), you can back off, lift less weight, lift less often.

It's so good for you, just do it, and it is fun to see results which happen rather quickly. Fun to move up to a new weight on whatever exercise. Etc.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    this is the biggest misconception that women have. Weights are your friend, you are not a man and you will never look like a man. The women who train for those shows go into a very rigorous diet plan and they do it just before their competitions, any other day they look better then what most people consider to be "fit" they are super toned and look great!
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    Kate,

Weights are your friend! They help you burn fat, build muscle (which burns more calories then fat!!) and tone up! You won't get bulky unless you become like a body builder. I don't have any specific exercises to recommend but maybe see if there are any in home strength training DVD's you can pick up and some weights so you can get comfortable. Don't start out with 10 pound weights right away, work up to it every week or every other week. You don't want to get injured!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights! If you don't you lose lean muscle tissue while your weight goes down and the "wings" will be even more pronounced.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ditto everything everyone above said about the benefits of weightlifting. Just do it! You will get hooked, get healthy, lean and strong and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it in the past.
  • BethGorton
    Options
    Not sure how accurate this is, but my Personal Trainer told me the other day that a lot of women are scared of lifting weights for this exact reason, because they don't want to bulk up. But he said that in reality it is incredibly difficult for women to actually bulk up.... So if you're just doing normal weights, it's gonna tone your muscles, not make them huge.
  • esachs
    esachs Posts: 2
    Options
    FRIEND! You will not get too bulky. That takes a lot of work, dedication, dieting and training. As my powerlifter dad always told me "if you golfed three times a week, would you be Tiger Woods?"
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thank God for all the smart people on this post. They know what they're talking about!
  • aquabunny101
    Options
    Thanks Guys! Fantastic answers... I will banish my weight demons and start hitting the gym! Goodluck all... keep motivated x
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    FRIEND! You will not get too bulky. That takes a lot of work, dedication, dieting and training. As my powerlifter dad always told me "if you golfed three times a week, would you be Tiger Woods?"

LOL, I like that quote! It also makes you think about what you are doing so you can stay motivated to reach your goals. If you step back and look at your workouts and they don't seem to lead to your ultimate goal, then change it up and do what challenges you!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I always figured that it takes testosterone injections and a LOT of protein shakes to look like a body builder.

Anyway, I lift weights, and it is awesome. The only time I feel like my arms are the slightest bit bigger is RIGHT after the workout. They go through a little bit of swelling as they heal up. Then, the next day, they feel slim and pretty. My arms have always seemed on the larger side, but honestly, the harder I workout, the slimmer they get.
  • ashton_leigh464
    Options
    I had hit a plateau in my weight loss until last week when I started lifting. Do it! Muscles on girls will generally be leaner. We have to take quite a few supplements to start getting the big manly looking muscles. Ours just aren't meant to build that way. You should check out bodybuilding.com. There's a section for women and you can find a workout routine based on if your goals are to lose weight or gain muscle (and not manly muscle). http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/intro That's the program I'm following right now, and Jamie Eason lifts heavy and definitely is not bulky! Message me if you have questions :D