40 inch waist really that bad for a male?

Shorelivin42
Shorelivin42 Posts: 22 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all,
Recently put on some weight and was reading up about waist size. I was a little shocked to find out that my waist size is unhealthy and apparently puts me at risk. I am 24 yo, 5'10", 181 lbs with a 42 inch waist. I've gained about 15 lbs in the last 8 months or so and probably 5 inches on my waist. I'm okay with it but I know I've got a little beer belly now :o and I'm definitely a bit softer in the middle than I was LOL but I was shocked to see that a waist over 40 inches is considered very unhealthy. Should I consider losing weight for health reasons? Is anybody else surprised?! LOL slwu8hcqf450.jpg

Replies

• Shorelivin42
    5'11" 181 lb 42in
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yes, a waist size over 40" greatly increases the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, etc...

Also, are you sure you're 181?

<<< I'm 5'10" and 182
  • Shorelivin42
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yes, a waist size over 40" greatly increases the risk of chronic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, etc...

<<< I'm 5'10" and 182

Okay thanks. Was just surprising I guess LOL yeah we are about the same height and weight. What is your waist size, if you don't mind?
  • Shorelivin42

<<< I'm 5'10" and 182

Okay thanks. Was just surprising I guess LOL yeah we are about the same height and weight. What is your waist size, if you don't mind?

35"

Ahh, okay. I was a 37" in January when I weighed about 165. Felt like I was in decent shape then. I would say most of the weight I gained went to my stomach. I'm not talking pants size though. I mean like actual waist circumference
  • Shorelivin42
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry to spring the news but you are definitely overweight and in a category that is long-term not going to be good for your health. You would benefit from losing some weight. I don't mean that if you don't lose 2 inches off your waist you are going to for sure die young or anything like that, but if you are asking if it could cause you potential health problems then the answer is yes.

At my most overweight I was 200 pounds at 6' tall and I probably was close to what you look like now and I think I had a 38'' waist. I dropped to 155 pounds and a 30'' waist and definitely felt a lot better.

Thanks for your honesty! I guess it's possible to not feel like you're overweight but still be at risk of some health issues. I had always been in good shape until recently. I was shocked to see that all of these online calculators said I was overweight!

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member

<<< I'm 5'10" and 182

35"

Ahh, okay. I was a 37" in January when I weighed about 165. Felt like I was in decent shape then. I would say most of the weight I gained went to my stomach. I'm not talking pants size though. I mean like actual waist circumference

Some of this is just bad genetic luck. Someone your height and weight who carries their weight more evenly might not have the same health risks. I've got quite the beer belly myself (about the same circumference as you, only I'm female and 8 inches shorter), which is a drag, but there's not much to be done about it other than try and keep the weight down.
  • Shorelivin42
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Your gut looks much bigger than 5' 10" 181, no offense. It's definitely not healthy. You need to lose weight, so stop making excuses! For reference, I currently have a 44" waist and I am 23 pounds into the "obese" category. At my current rate, I will be out of obese in about 6 weeks.

You want a <36" waist as a male. That doesn't mean get 36" and stop either, 36" is the upper limit of healthy. You want to be about 150-160 at your height, if you do no lifting.

None taken! Thanks for being honest. For reference, this was me in January at about 165 and with a 37 inch waist. Never thought I was anywhere near overweight then. I was lifting then and hitting the gym but my diet wasn't great. I'll probably renew my gym membership. That should really kickstart me and help get back to where I was. abqfhitj4znn.jpg

• Shorelivin42

<<< I'm 5'10" and 182

35"

Some of this is just bad genetic luck. Someone your height and weight who carries their weight more evenly might not have the same health risks. I've got quite the beer belly myself (about the same circumference as you, only I'm female and 8 inches shorter), which is a drag, but there's not much to be done about it other than try and keep the weight down.

Never thought of it that way. I guess that's true. Cause weight wise I never felt overweight. 180 isn't terrible for 5'10" so the waist thing threw me off. Thanks!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry to spring the news but you are definitely overweight and in a category that is long-term not going to be good for your health. You would benefit from losing some weight. I don't mean that if you don't lose 2 inches off your waist you are going to for sure die young or anything like that, but if you are asking if it could cause you potential health problems then the answer is yes.

At my most overweight I was 200 pounds at 6' tall and I probably was close to what you look like now and I think I had a 38'' waist. I dropped to 155 pounds and a 30'' waist and definitely felt a lot better.

Thanks for your honesty! I guess it's possible to not feel like you're overweight but still be at risk of some health issues. I had always been in good shape until recently. I was shocked to see that all of these online calculators said I was overweight!

I spent most of my adult life at around 185 pounds thinking I was right where I should be because I was 6' tall. Took some introspection and learning about my body to realize I actually have a very small frame so 185 on me is actually overweight even though on most 6' tall men 185 probably isn't. I have pictures public on my profile. The "before" picture of me in February 2014 was at 180 pounds and I had a good amount of gut. The "after" in July I think was around 160 pounds. I got down to 155 and was looking pretty lean then.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited November 2017
    The rule of thumb is that your waist needs to be < 2x your height to be "healthy." So, if you're 80" (6'8") tall or taller, you should be fine w/a waist of 40".

Otherwise, you probably are at risk for health problems commonly associated w/obesity, including but not limited to diabetes and heart disease.

BTW, I'm 5'8" (68") tall and when I weighed 196 my waist was 40". Now that I weigh 158, my waist is 33" within the <2x height standard.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited November 2017

<<< I'm 5'10" and 182

35"

Never thought of it that way. I guess that's true. Cause weight wise I never felt overweight. 180 isn't terrible for 5'10" so the waist thing threw me off. Thanks!

The circumference of the waist (beer belly) is a greater indicator of risk than the scale number. The visceral fat around the abdomen/internal organs causes serious health complications down the road.

ETA: As an example, my husband is 6' tall and 200 pounds, which could be borderline overweight on some frames. But he does not have a belly and he is muscular, with a 34-35" waist, so his doctor considers his weight to be acceptable, since he is listed as "fit and athletic" in the doctor's notes. (Lean mass/fat mass ratios matter more than scale weight.)