Anybody following a low carb way of eating?

Options

Replies

• jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    How 'bout NO-carb?

Reccommended for me because fatness led to diabetes, which we wanted to prevent by going no-carb as much as possible, but failed. Now going no-carb to lose it frantically. It's working ok, except for the occasional plateau moment.:grumble:.

Not sure how one could go "no carb". Meat only I suppose?

NO-CARB! I would get really bored with that.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    How 'bout NO-carb?

Reccommended for me because fatness led to diabetes, which we wanted to prevent by going no-carb as much as possible, but failed. Now going no-carb to lose it frantically. It's working ok, except for the occasional plateau moment.:grumble:.

meat, eggs, fats, cheeses with less than 1g of carbs, seeds that are all fiber (chia, hemp, flax). i've seen people do well on a short-term fat or meat & egg fast to break a stall, but i've never tried it personally.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How 'bout NO-carb?

meat, eggs, fats, cheeses with less than 1g of carbs, seeds that are all fiber (chia, hemp, flax). i've seen people do well on a short-term fat or meat & egg fast to break a stall, but i've never tried it personally.

Yea, those have carbs so they wouldn't be "No Carb".
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I was also recommended a low-carb diet from my doctor due to autoimmune issues. If I tell people about it, they assume I'm going to start eating bacon double cheeseburgers without a bun or a dozen eggs a day. In reality, I was told to stay away from red meat other than the leanest cuts of beef and to keep even that to a minimum, get over my undying love of cheese, swap regular pasta for whole wheat, white rice for quinoa, white potatoes for small sweet potatoes and eat vegetables with every meal I have. I've started to make desserts with fruits (fresh or frozen) instead of chocolate... which hasn't been an easy transition for me, even though I do love fruit. This is all a recent development, so I'm still learning my way around eating healthier. In theory, it makes a lot of sense. In reality, I live in Brooklyn and pass 5 pizza places just on my way home from the bus... :sad:

I was considering following the 21 Day Sugar Detox. I follow the author on instagram and the photos/recipes she shares look amazing... anyone ever give that a shot?
    Wanted to, but noticed that it involved more cooking and product knowledge than I can take.
  • mom2kgirls
    mom2kgirls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are so right - there is so much misinformation out there about carbs and working with a doctor is the best way to figure out what you need to do. I discovered I am gluten intolerant, allergic to nitrites and certain dairy substances amongh other things. I am still learning about my body and what I need to do to be healthy. Everyone else in my family is diabetic and I am determined not to have that happen to me, which means I need to be proactive! When I first started eating gluten free, there was not an abundance of products in the stores labeled GF, so I didn't eat pasta and bread-type stuff. Then I started discovering all the processed GF alternatives - not a good thing- and I started gaining weight and feeling sluggish! Processed food is still processed and 45 carb grams will do the same thing to my body whether it is from rice or wheat flour. I know there are people that think I am "weird" or follow a strange diet, but that is their problem. My goal is to lose weight in a healthy way that supports my body's needs. I hope everyone can do that without attacking each other's personal choices.
    Good luck in your weight loss journey!
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't do "low" carb per se but have lowered the amount of carb a bit and switched to better quality carbs for the ones we do eat: removed white and processed and replaced with whole grains and high fiber. Will eat quinoa instead of rice for instance or a combination of brown rice and lentils. When we eat pasta we have reduced the quantity of pasta, which is either whole wheat or rice pasta now, and add more vegetables and protein to compensate (lentils in the sauce for instance instead of meat).

Base our decision of the G.I. diet (as in glycemic index).

My daughter doesn't know any different than whole wheat pasta and whole grain bread.
  • sallyadando1
    sallyadando1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's been a week since I switched to low-carb, and lost 3lb.I also watch the calories, But I have'nt been hungry at all, drunk plenty of water too around 2,000mls per day maybe even more, I was stuck for quite a few weeks, and lost only a 1lb in about 4 weeks. So I am happy, it seems to have have kick-started the weight loss again, so I feel even more motivated to continue with this way of dieting.
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets really aren't that healthy. Your body actually needs carbs for fuel and having carbs in your body helps you with your workouts. For losing weight you should be around 50% protein/30% carbs/20% fats. I wouldn't ever go lower than 30% on carbs. I hope this helps!

There is nothing at all unhealthy about eating low carb, or doctors would prescribe low-carb diets to diabetics. There is also nothing unhealthy about eating more fats than carbs.

If you can't be bothered to read the science behind eating, you can only do harm by offering your uninformed opinion and pretending it's fact.

I think there is a big difference between low-carb and low glycemic index (GI). Your body needs some level of carbs but some are better than others. Low GI foods does not mean they have no carbs it means they don't convert into sugar as quickly which would cause a spike in blood sugar. I started going to low GI foods when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was able to control my blood sugar that way.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanx, Everybody for all the responses. Sorry I haven't posted on this thread but I thought it was lost somewhere down the line on the list of threads. Just found the "My Discussions" tab and realized there were so many responses here......lol. Have to get ready for work but will send out friend request this evening when I get home...... :)
  • ptrcmcc6
    Options
    LOL..........just reading the dates on this post (was wondering why it said I was 52 years old....lol) and realizing I'm 3 years late....... :/
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am! :) You can add me. I am a little extreme on my carbs right now (trying KETO as I was stuck with quite a bit to lose still and hoping I can break a stall)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ptrcmcc6 wrote: »
    Thanx, Everybody for all the responses. Sorry I haven't posted on this thread but I thought it was lost somewhere down the line on the list of threads. Just found the "My Discussions" tab and realized there were so many responses here......lol. Have to get ready for work but will send out friend request this evening when I get home...... :)

So, are you still low-carb, @ptrcmcc6?
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I go low carb some days. Honestly it just depends on my mood that day. I love my carbs, but since I was diagnosed diabetic in August, I actively look for better carbs than the junk carbs I was eating before. Currently, I'm following the MFP guidelines of 50/30/20 percentages. But, don't always use all that 50%. Your body needs carbs to function so cutting them out or too drastically is not a good thing.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    macro = how you split your protein / fat / carbs+sugar

typical macros are 45% protein; 40% fat and 15% carbs+sugar
  • CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer recommended that I keep my carbs to no more than 100 g a day and increase my protein. This has been successful for me. I haven't given anything up. We just don't eat potatoes or starchy veggies with dinner every single night.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb but there's certainly nothing fundamentally wrong with it. One drawback though is that if you stop the weight tends to come back on. Of course that's the case with all diets.

It sounds like last time low carbine helped take the weight off for a while. Maybe this time think a bit more about what you need to do to keep it off.
  • ptrcmcc6
    Options
    ptrcmcc6 wrote: »

So, are you still low-carb, @ptrcmcc6?

Yes, I am back to low carb, again. For awhile I fell off the low carb wagon (to the tune of 30 lbs. added out of the almost 50 lbs. I had lost when I started this lifestyle back in 2006) but I've always been semi-conscientious of what I would eat. I fell into the "one pastry won't hurt" or "one handful of chips won't hurt" mind-set and before I knew it, I was back up to the lower 190 lbs. Now, I am trying to diligently keep my net carb intake to no more that 60g per day.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is old, but I'll add my comment anyway :)
    I tell people I do low carb because I get weird looks when I pass on the rice, bread, or noodles (I live in Japan), but really, I just limit my carbs. I still get carbs from veggies and such (I'm a vegetarian) but I try to make smart choices, definitely doing my best to pass on simple carbs. Following a low/limited-carb vegetarian diet isn't easy here, but since coming here 2.5 months ago I'm down 19 lbs. All the walking + zero driving certainly helps, too. Feel free to add me...I'll do my best to be supportive!
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm not intentionally low carb, but I often end up that way somewhat accidentally, bc I feel more satisfied with higher protein and fat than I do with higher carbs. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I keep my diary open and I'm trying to share recipes more regularly.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yup! Keto!