oatmeal

Options
So i recently figured out that the Quaker oats instant oatmeal has a lot of sugar so its healthier to eat the oats without it(well no duh) but what do you put on that plain boring tasting oatmeal to make it taste, well, good?

Replies

• KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    splenda, cinnamon, nuts, dried fruit, fresh fruit, flavored yogurt, canned pumpkin, etc
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    bananas :)
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I LOOOOOVE oatmeal... and was a former instant packet person myself. My standards:

oatmeal, chopped steamed apples, cinnamon
    oatmeal, nut butter, sliced banana
    oatmeal, blueberries, sliced almonds
    oatmeal, dried cherries
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat Quaker Oatmeal without anything in it.

It took awhile to train myself to like it, but I got there.

IF I need to add something, I find chopping up a banana and adding a bit of cinnamon works well.

;)
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    Honey
    Fruit
    Protein Powder
    Cinnamon
    Nuts
    eggs
    raisin bran
    ham

Just a few things I have added in mine over the years
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Try slicing up some fresh or dried fruit and/or adding nuts or seeds. I add a dried date, part of a fresh apple, walnuts, and 1/2-1 tablespoon pure maple syrup. Of course there's sugar from the fruit and syrup, but the fruit sugar isn't processed.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I put a few dried cranberries or just sprinkle in some Splenda. I like oatmeal better when it is not sweet. Its 150 calories for half a cup with Splenda.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    A little bit of Agave Nectar or maple syrup (REAL maple syrup, none of that pancake crap.)
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I LOVE making oatmeal from scratch in cold weather. I usually add soymilk, apple sauce or some type of fruit sauce, some nuts of some sort, and a little brown sugar or maple syrup.
  • bexd
    bexd Posts: 1
    Options
    i have become obsessed with oatmeal within the past year.

i used to always put some cottage cheese, almond butter, frozen raspberries, half a banana and a sprinkle of cereal/granola. lately, i have been making an overnight version where i mix oats, greek yogurt, protein powder, and almond milk overnight and then add half a banana, almond butter, and a sprinkle of cereal in the morning. sooo good!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I eat mine plain every morning and I love it. I tried it with splenda or cinnamon and was really turned off by it. I'm not into lots of flavory stuff.

My mom adds fresh fruit to hers sometimes
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    my favorite breakfast is equal parts skim milk pineapple yogurt and dry oatmeal, mix and let sit over night eat cold in the morning, sooo good
  • 4himalone
    Options
    Ok...I know this might sound *gross* but I make steel cut oats and add a banana, splenda, lots of cinnamon, occasionally nutmeg, some almond milk and......1/2 cottage cheese. When I first read that someone added cottage cheese to their oatmeal, I was grossed out....but I tried it and I really like it....Gives me protein!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Almond butter and frozen blueberries....Throw the blueberries in before cooking in the micro and then stir in a Tbsp of almond butter before eating. Yummmm!
  • dimond1610
    Options
    lol none of that pancake crap made my day(:
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    1/2 Tbsp Peanut Butter

1 Tbsp F/F French Vanilla Creamer

1 Tbsp Brown Sugar and/or Cinnamon

Bananas

Sliced Strawberries

Handful of Blueberries
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I like mine with a dash of cinnamon, a tbs of honey and some raisins. I made it once like that and haven't turned back since. I also put milk in it instead of water cuz I feel it tastes better.
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    peanut butter and raisins.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oats a lot... just toss the oats, milk etc. in the fridge and its ready in the morning...
    I also use quinoa instead of oats sometimes, or a mixture of steelcut oats and quinoa.
    I like to add some greek yogurt, agave, flax seed, blueberries and walnuts. Sweet & crunchy.yum!

I make a big batch in the crockpot sometimes too..and put it in individual servings ready to grab and take to work.
    I'm always in a rush to get out the door :)
  • vulrich93
    Options
    Cinnamon, strawberries, soy nuts, + all brun buds. yumm.