Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are abs made in the kitchen?

Options
theyoginurse
theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
I’ve read countless articles that say diet is 80% and exercise is 20% of the weight loss factor. There are even articles that say exercise is only 10%. How true is this? Have you lost weight without exercise? Are abs really made in the kitchen?

Replies

• jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    Mine were
  • Lpaige89
    Lpaige89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with the above poster. Abs are a result of being lean, not really exercise, unless of course you have amazing genetics. No matter how much you exercise, your physique really depends on what your eating and how much.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    And some women will struggle to get abs, no matter how hard they work.
    There are genetics at play with how "bulgy" the muscles can get, even with reasonable amounts of training.

I've hit a point where I have maybe 1 and a half slightly visible ab muscles, and to get more would require WAY more specific ab pumping than I'm willing to do, and even lower body fat which I'm also not willing to countenance. I was a bit below 16% earlier this year, and still no particularly visible abs.

I've revised my current goal from having visible abs to squeezing out my 4th pull up! :p

If you have any muscle on your core they would show at 16% ( I'm assuming you are a woman). That has more to do with training than genetics.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, but it bears repeating. Losing weight will reveal your abs, but if you don't have them they won't show.

For evidence, look at the flat stomachs found on those rescued from concentration camps. No observable muscle tone/definition.

If you have a lot of muscle... or a lot of visceral fat, your abs will be visible at higher body fat percentages. Mine start peeking through when I get below 235.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can not even train abs directly and get a six-pack.

They are activated by many exercises.

If you want abs you have to reduce your gut which translates to losing bodyfat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Any effort to put a percentage on it is silly, but the fact is, of course, that you need to be very lean to have visible abs, and that you get more lean by having a calorie deficit. Some (many or most) may also need to also improve training to have visible abs. (Disclaimer: I do not have visible abs, I am not lean enough for that.)

For me, yes, I could lose without exercise, but even apart from the ab question I look much better when I include exercise, including strength building, at least for my personal aesthetic.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I’ve read countless articles that say diet is 80% and exercise is 20% of the weight loss factor. There are even articles that say exercise is only 10%. How true is this? Have you lost weight without exercise? Are abs really made in the kitchen?

You can lose weight without exercise
    Abs are shown in the kitchen
    you do not have to do any direct ab work
    core is worked in many ways
    sometimes it is all about genetics as well...some may never get a 6 pack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

You lose weight when you take in fewer calories than you expend...IMO, it's a lot easier to lose with exercise because you increase your energy expenditure and thus can eat more and still achieve the same end result...but you don't have to workout to lose weight. I lost a good 20 Lbs before I really started doing any kind of deliberate exercise.

For visible abs, you need to have abs...and you need to be at a pretty low BF% and have good genetics...you get to a low BF% by eating less...thus "abs made in the kitchen" thing...

Without exercise, I would have to eat around 1800 calories per day to lose 1 Lb per week...with my exercise, I can lose about 1 Lb per week eating around 2300-2500 calories depending.
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My abs appeared from a calorie deficit and my workout five days a week. Note that my workout disnt have a specific abs routine in it - I sort of got them for free.

Now that I see them I incorporate an abs routine.

However, diet played the role as I was on a caloric deficit for about three months prior.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of days that go like this: get up, eat a light breakfast quickly (usually just a coffee), drive an hour, spend the day hiking or cycling or skiing, drive back. I burn a lot more calories than usual, and skip a meal or two. Exercise helps by keeping me away from the kitchen where the food is.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Ironandwine69 this was 16% day. I wasn't doing *huge* amounts of specific core training, although there's plenty of muscle there from 5 years of Pilates and a year of decent lifting.
    Just for me, the extra work I'd have to put in to get ripped abs wasn't worth the sacrifices I'd need to make.

(And yes, there's always the possibility that the 7-site calliper measurement came out a bit wrong and I was a bit higher than 16%...)
  • FAAB_too
    FAAB_too Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.