The holiday season

Options

Replies

• Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I admit - this is my first holiday season on this lifestyle and so far I've lost 7 pounds (out of 35 total I'm trying to lose). So, while it's a nice victory, it's not *so* much that I feel like I can't undo it. Like if I gain back 3-4 pounds I'll be devastated.

I'll be spending 10 days with my BFs family out of town and will need to be careful. I'm very nervous for the holidays this year. Definitely going to fit in some exercise and exercise portion control, but besides that I feel pretty powerless.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it because I have learned that I don't need to stuff myself at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I have felt sick enough times after eating too much that I just don't massively overeat anymore. It also helps that I don't like gravy, rolls, stuffing (unless it is my aunt's oyster dressing), so I eat some turkey, a reasonable amount of potatoes with butter (I can have potatoes any time, so I don't gorge on those either). A couple of sides and I'm good.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to be really good until the week of Christmas and then it will all go to *kitten*, but that's okay because it's the holidays and I like to eat. We are going on vacation to the beach the week between Christmas and NYE and I plan on eating and being buzzed the entire week. Then I'll get back on board after Jan 1. Okay, maybe Jan 2.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    I look forward to a single day of holiday eating. The harder part for me is to stay at "home" (where I grew up) with my mother for up to a week. When I come home my mom wants to have waffles and cinnamon rolls for breakfast every morning. Or if I ask for eggs, she'll make me 4 eggs scrambled with cheese and butter plus huge pieces of toast slathered with butter. It has been this way forever. I am not overweight, and if I make any sort of whisper about not wanting to overeat I hear a big fuss about it. Last time I was home I caught my mom sneaking a look at the size of my jeans. *facepalm*

I am perfectly capable of making my own breakfast, but any only children out there will know my struggle. I'm just going to try not to worry about it all too much. Enjoy the season!
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely worried, since this is my first holiday season since I started to count calories and exercise. (These are really early days...started exercising in Sept. and logging calories here since 11/4) I love stuffing more than life itself. I love dark meat turkey. My sister-in-law the pastry chef is making pie, so I'm definitely eating that. I'll probably have a very small breakfast and lunch that day and take advantage of the gym at the hotel we're staying at. I really need to not blow it, because I've lost so little and struggled so much with my weight for the past 4 years.

We're visiting my husband's family, and their way of showing love involves stuffing you with food until you can't move. Somehow, I have to politely decline.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I usually start counting calories around the holidays because I don't want to start the new year 5-10 pounds heavier. It's the rest of the year that challenges me because I'm not as focused.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    One way I deal with anticipated larger meals is I don't eat prior to the meal. I won't eat breakfast or lunch, and eat a reasonable amount at dinner, which for us is usually around 1 pm anyway. So I can eat my daily calorie allotment at that one meal and still be good.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I dread January 1st the most, with the deluge of "new year, new me" threads. :|

Someone in my RL indicated this to me...back in October. I was like, why wait?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This will be my 3rd holiday season on MFP and I’m feeling much more in control now than in the past. Will I overindulge? Probably. Can I make a quick recovery and get back on track? Most definitely.

The hardest part for me is the office treats. Vendors send piles of decadent treats that stockpile in the kitchen. Some of it is crap, but some are really special.
  • CHAOSrstNpeace
    CHAOSrstNpeace Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Anyone else nervous about all the food-centric holidays quickly approaching? Im relatively confident that I’ll stick to a caloric deficit, but I’m definitely worried about all the temptation that will be out there and balancing diet and splurges.

To me is just another day lol
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Christmas Day and Boxing Day - aiming for maintenance, accepting will prob be well over!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...it's a handful of celebratory days...they're not particularly material to the big picture. I also don't treat the whole two months as some reason to go completely off the rails...it's pretty much business as usual outside of Thanksgiving day, Christmas eve, Christmas day, and New Years eve...that's 4 days out of 365...
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Nope, I am looking forward to it! This year, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas day are going to be *free* days for me. No logging, no worrying, just enjoying the days and eating what I want. I may workout a little extra that week or skip breakfast those days, but I am not holding myself to any specific "rules" those days.

The only parameter I have given myself is that those three days are it. No extending it out for a week, or the whole month, etc. Outside of those three days, I am sticking with my plan and logging everything.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy it. I remember seeing on here a good piece of advice. It not what you eat on the holidays but the days in between them
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone would give this a "whoo". Was it the word spluges?
    Anyone else nervous about all the food-centric holidays quickly approaching? Im relatively confident that I’ll stick to a caloric deficit, but I’m definitely worried about all the temptation that will be out there and balancing diet and splurges.

I'm guessing they mean like "who-hoo" or "yippee." I'm confused as to what that icon means. It has a smiley face, so I sort of think it means "yay." But... given how much the word Woo is used on this site with reference to "weight loss crap/myth," I don't know.

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    I'm definitely worried, since this is my first holiday season since I started to count calories and exercise. (These are really early days...started exercising in Sept. and logging calories here since 11/4) I love stuffing more than life itself. I love dark meat turkey. My sister-in-law the pastry chef is making pie, so I'm definitely eating that. I'll probably have a very small breakfast and lunch that day and take advantage of the gym at the hotel we're staying at. I really need to not blow it, because I've lost so little and struggled so much with my weight for the past 4 years.

We're visiting my husband's family, and their way of showing love involves stuffing you with food until you can't move. Somehow, I have to politely decline.

Please don't let the worry of food ruin your Holiday. Eat and be merry, it's ONE day. Just don't make it into more that that.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ill be travelling to the outlaws
    I plan to take my food scale and eat at maintenance plus exercise cals

They eat alot and are food pushers ( both very large people ) so ill be doing what i need to try and keep my weight steady
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    How’s everyone going to weigh and measure, particularly with guests at the table? Eyeball and hope for the best?