Is there a way to lose weight but maintain the booty?

Options
Do squats really help that much with it? Like I’ve seen pics of fit people who say that do squats to maintain it but like I just don’t understand how it could get larger if you’re trying to lose weight and eating less and stuff?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Some of it (probably alot) depends on your genetics. My coworker has lost quite a bit of weight and maintains a shapely rear.
    Squats and stair stepper don't hurt though.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts especially will help you retain/gain some muscle in your booty to keep it looking full. Obviously eating at maintenance or higher would result in more gains, but even while you're at a deficit it should help a bit.

I believe there's even a program called "Gluteal Goddess" that focuses on booty-building workouts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Some people starting out with lifting may gain muscle in a deficit, but for the most part when people lose weight and maintain their muscle (especially the booty) it will pop as the rest of the surrounding areas lose fat. I was able to maintain what I built by following a weight training program focused on the glutes, eating at a small deficit and getting adequate protein.

Squats are a great lower body compound lift, but it is best to do a well rounded program such as Strong Curves which includes hip thrusts, glute bridges, squats, deadlifts, and many other accessories for the glutes.
  • phillyeagles9358
    phillyeagles9358 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say as it does rely greatly on genetic factors. However, if you have a "booty" already it is likely those genetics already favor you in that regard. Squats do work wonders for shape as well as firmness but they must be done properly in order to maintain. Judging from you photo you look to be in pretty good shape as is and you may just want to begin a weight training regiment. Many women think if they lift weights they will get all bulky like a man but that is very very difficult to achieve. Lifting weights will not only maintain the booty but it will also help you to burn off excess fat as the body expends quite a bit of energy to maintain muscle mass. So in short, somewhat heavy squats and deadlifts would work wonders for you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting (not body weight squats) helps preserve muscle while you are losing weight. Some people who are new to lifting might gain a tiny amount of muscle while losing. The butt is a muscle. Weight lifting might also help shape, tighten and lift your butt even while losing. If you keep your muscle in your butt but lose the fat surrounding it, it might look bigger and rounder.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd go to You Tube and search on Booty workouts. There are some great ones out there and you can do them at home for free. You may need light weights for some.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Seconding the recommendation for Strong Curves, there's a version you can do at home if you're not a gym person. The templates are available free online, but it is well worth getting the book, as it explains the programmes, has a ton of other exercises so you can adapt the programme, and a ton of other info. It's available as an e-book for under $10.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Even fat I have a flat booty so hopefully by the time I'm not fat I'll have a shapely booty. I'm working on it.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No. You can't spot train
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Some days i have a big butt....Otherdays it disappears entirely..

Not helpful....Just a weird occurrence and thinking in public
  • sardelsa
    edited November 2017
    Options
    merzback wrote: »
    No. You can't spot train

You can't spot reduce or maintain fat, but you can definitely spot maintain and (under optimal circumstances) build muscle in certain areas
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I am going to ask why your worried about keeping it? Eating healthy and becoming fit is more important. I am sure that if you have a shapely one now it is not going anywhere. Maybe just toned up.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I am going to ask why your worried about keeping it? Eating healthy and becoming fit is more important. I am sure that if you have a shapely one now it is not going anywhere. Maybe just toned up.

For some people, aesthetics are just as important. Also it is possible to lose it, unfortunately. The glutes can be very lazy muscles, so they are not easily activated with regular exercise. And because they are large, they are an expensive commodity for the body to maintain in a deficit, so it will give them up.
  • CHAOSrstNpeace
    CHAOSrstNpeace Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    pogiguy05 wrote: »

For some people, aesthetics are just as important. Also it is possible to lose it, unfortunately. The glutes can be very lazy muscles, so they are not easily activated with regular exercise. And because they are large, they are an expensive commodity for the body to maintain in a deficit, so it will give them up.

Bootyology at its finest. Awsome.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I third the Strong Curves recommendation. I started the bodyweight program yesterday and found it relatively easy - I thought "huh, this isn't going to help". But, this morning, my butt, thighs and chest hurt!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Do squats really help that much with it? Like I’ve seen pics of fit people who say that do squats to maintain it but like I just don’t understand how it could get larger if you’re trying to lose weight and eating less and stuff?

It's more genetics than anything, unfortunately.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Well ultimately it's a muscle, so if you work it it will get bigger and stronger.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    sksk1026 wrote: »
    I third the Strong Curves recommendation. I started the bodyweight program yesterday and found it relatively easy - I thought "huh, this isn't going to help". But, this morning, my butt, thighs and chest hurt!

Brett Contreras wrote the book on glutes (and thus Strong Curves). He does tons of research into it. He's basically the guy who championed the hip thrust into popularity since it is scientifically proven to activate the glutes better than squats or deadlifts.

https://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

Read his stuff. You can maintain a booty (and possibly even grow it a bit) in a deficit, depending on your diet. Check out his client success stories. https://bretcontreras.com/testimonials/