When to log

Options
Do you find it easier to log everything you’ll eat at the beginning of the day, as you go, or at the end of the day?

I bring my lunch every day, so at least five days out of the week I pre-log all my snacks and lunch food. Water is as I go, and so is dinner. I'm pretty sure I would forget something if I tried to add everything after the fact lol

Replies

• sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For me it's best to plan out what I am eating and thus I pre-log my meals. Normally I work in my snacks during the day, since I don't always plan those out.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Prelogging and adjusting amounts and details as needed, worked great for me.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I really like pre-logging everything that I can, so that way I can see if I'm close to my macro goals and also if I can fit in a second helping at dinner or maybe even extra ice cream later :smiley:
  • capwever
    capwever Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    naculp wrote: »
    I really like pre-logging everything that I can, so that way I can see if I'm close to my macro goals and also if I can fit in a second helping at dinner or maybe even extra ice cream later :smiley:

hahaha I feel you on second helpings and dinner!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Prelogging and adjusting amounts and details as needed, worked great for me.

This is my way as well Pre-log is for me the way to go
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I do 'as you go' or sometimes pre-logging if I have meal-prepped dinners waiting for me at home. Most days I don't know what I'm eating for dinner until I'm at the grocery store after work picking out ingredients.
  • dexjanelle
    dexjanelle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I prefer to log as I go. But I have labeled 6 eating times, breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, & evening snack. I also include in the labels cals to eat/accumulated day cals/net cals left. by the time I get to evening snack my goal is eat 150 at that time/1,500 accumulated for day/and 0 left. What I like about this is that I can eat what I want and just control portions. Because I have a family, I can eat whatever they eat. I do measure it and log prior to eating it. It's a pain. But we don't plan all our daily meals so this keeps me with them instead of doing my own thing without them.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I log as I go through my day. I rarely know what I'm going to have for dinner in the morning.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging does not work for me. I don't work so don't have to pack a lunch, and rarely know exactly what I'll eat on any given day. I log as I prepare my dish or as I'm eating it.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    As I go generally.
    Sometimes after the fact if it was a bad weekend and I need to do some estimation!
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I honestly sit down on Sunday and pre-plan my entire week. Then throughout the week I'll make small adjustments to amounts. Or maybe change my snack from yogurt to cottage cheese or change the flavor of the yogurt or something but that way I at least know I'm in my goal and it also takes away decision fatigue. I just look at what I logged and I eat that. I hate making decisions.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I log as I go, I don't like feeling restricted.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I prelog since that gives me an overview of how much wiggle room I have based on the meals I have during the day. I can't prelog lunch, since that's provided at work and we don't know what we're getting before we go to the buffet to eat.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything in the morning while I'm having my first cup of coffee, but I eat the same thing again and again so it's much easier for me.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I stay on track better during the week, when i pre-log my morning coffee and lunch. On the weekends I sleep in and then have coffee so I dont eat until much later and actually dont over eat that often on the weekend.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I pre-log as much as possible; failing to plan is planning to fail, in my book. I'm very much a creature of habit and probably eat the same thing for 50-60% of my intake everyday, dinner varying the most. I also try and plan that with my wife as much as possible too. If I'm eating out I try to know the restaurant ahead of time, look at the menu and make a selection that fits my calories ahead of time if possible and pre-log that as well, allowing for a buffer for ancillary intake if I know the restaurant brings out bread for the table, etc.
  • missperfectpitch
    missperfectpitch Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I like to pre-log at least one day in advance, as that gives me a better sense of how many calories I'll have available for snacks the following day or for one of the higher calorie dinners I've made, etc. Also, if I know I'll be eating out for dinner one day, I like to pre-log so that I can budget 1000 or more calories for dinner. When I do eat out though, I typically just write down what I ate in the Food notes section with a guess on portion size, and then log after the fact.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yep, pre-log so I know where I have some give if I want treats! And it helps me balance out my days so I can eat more of what I'm missing nutrient-wise.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat the same things everyday... just with the addition of a few things.. so I pre log everything so I know what I have left for the day
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I pre-log breakfast/lunch/snack since I prep it for the week. Dinners I plan, but log as I go in case I need to make recipe adjustments while I'm cooking, and cuts of meat are usually slightly different weights, etc.