Help it’s not working

Options
So I’ve been on a 1200-1500 calorie diet for a month now. I’m eating incredibly healthy, walking much more and generally exercising more and iv put 2lbs on ! Feel like I’m loosing my mind. Anyone have any tips or suggestions of what I could be doing wrong ?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Also, what's your height, current weight, and goal weight?
  • bossmanbing2102
    bossmanbing2102 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im 5.2 and nearly 10 stone. My goal is 8.5. That’s when I’m normally at my most comfortable but was about 4 years ago. I log everything I eat and whilst 1200 calories is not a lot I’m not particularly struggling cuz I eat lots of healthy slow energy realising foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    For anything to work properly, it has to be used correctly. Are you weighting everything you eat (and drink that has calories)? Do you log the exact amount you take in? Do you check all database entries before you log? Do you log everything you take in? Do you have cheat meals? Do you use the recipe builder?

You also have to measure your results properly. Do you weigh yourself regularly? How often? Do you use the same scale every time? Same spot, same time of day, same clothes? Have you started a new exercise? Are you constipated?

There is no such thing as an incredibly healthy diet - a healthy diet is balanced and varied and flexible. You can eay anything you want as long as you eat less. Exercise is good for you, but you don't really burn that many calories from exercise.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Im 5.2 and nearly 10 stone. My goal is 8.5. That’s when I’m normally at my most comfortable but was about 4 years ago. I log everything I eat and whilst 1200 calories is not a lot I’m not particularly struggling cuz I eat lots of healthy slow energy realising foods.

you are logging, but are you weighing your food???
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options

More useful to us than seeing your stats is seeing your diary :)

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • bossmanbing2102
    Options
    I have an office job where I am desk based for 3 days which doesn’t help because I feel like I hardly move. I only reach about 6500 steps but on my 4 days off I’m going over the 10,000 steps.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In addition to the diary, a useful bit of information would be how often you weigh yourself, how often you had weighed yourself before starting, and what kinds of exercise you've added and how recently. For me, weighing every day or two is better than going long periods in-between, because fluctuations can make any particular time on the scale an aberration. Time of the month can make a difference (what time of the month specifically varies by woman, I tend to be high the week before and low the week of); being dehydrated can make a scale weight low (you may have been unusually low when you started, masking progress); and new exercise especially something like hard cardio or weight training can lead to some water retention, and usually a weigh-in when sore will be a high one, IME. You also need to have been using the same scale under the same conditions -- if one is later in the day, it will likely read high. Stuff like this is why you don't really know results without a trend.
  • bossmanbing2102
    Options
    That’s really helpful. Now I think about it when I got weighed last I had just done a 16 hour fast for blood tests
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately logging and being honest with yourself I would consider speaking to a registered dietitian. Also, consider having your hormones checked. I battled for about two years trying to lose weight and no matter what I did, I was slowly gaining. It took me going to a registered dietitian who urged me to talk to my doctor, who then sent me to an endocrinologist. But I learned a lot about my body (thyroid and PCOS) and with some tweaks, some slight changes in foods I was eating that are normally considered healthy, but not processed as well in my own body, and I'm finally seeing the weight coming off.

So, be honest with yourself, and if you are truly logging accurately and honestly, you may want to speak to a professional.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Generally I tend to lose a few pounds, then my weight shoots up about 3 pounds and stays there for about a week before going to back down. It's frustrating but I know it's going to happen so I just keep plugging along. Not saying this is your issue, but it could be
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating almost anything regardless of whether or not it's considered healthy what matters is the deficit.
    While it's true that it's dangerous to have too low net calories you would still lose weight, it just wouldn't be safe, sustainable or healthy for your body in the long haul.
    If you don't mind me asking what are your stats? Height? Weight? Do you exercise? Do you weigh your food with a scale? Digital is typically more accurate.
    Are you checking to make sure that the options you're logging from the MFP database are correct?
    Lots of the entries are entered by users and therefore can be incorrect, I've found entries that grossly understated the calories for the food I was eating. I'd recommend googling the calories per ounce or gram for the food prior to logging just to make sure you're finding the right cal/per serving entry.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Your diary isn't open.

Yeah, if we can look at it, we may be able to spot issues.

@bossmanbing2102 - click here: (FOOD/Settings) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

scroll to the bottom and click "Public."
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    So I’ve been on a 1200-1500 calorie diet for a month now. I’m eating incredibly healthy, walking much more and generally exercising more and iv put 2lbs on ! Feel like I’m loosing my mind. Anyone have any tips or suggestions of what I could be doing wrong ?

How are your clothes fitting? Any looser? Did you take measurements before starting? If not, start now.

Scales lie! Just joking...but they are just machines and can be defective. Don't give up! If you still have not lost any weight and your measurements haven't changed, or you've gained inches also, then you need to take another look at the foods you are consuming. You might be eating more than you think.