Do squats reduce height?

NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
In Chit Chat cuz got to response in other forum. I used to be 6 foot tall when I started doing squats about 6 months ago. My PR is 135. Today I measured my height and I was at an astonishing 5 feet 6 inches.....this is atrocious

Replies

• AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    You were too tall for me at 6', stop squatting now so you'll still be taller than me...
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    You're squatting too heavy. Drop the weight now if you don't want to turn into a midget.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,456 Member
    Nahh my guess it's not the squats but the cold..cold things shrink don't they?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Are getting even shorter since your thread in May? Maybe you should stop the squatting :laugh:
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    um...
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    If this were the case there would be a lot of short powerlifters.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    giphy.gif
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Sure they do.

The closer you come to the ground the stronger the gravitational pull.
    Lately (probably due to global warming) even spontaneous brain-drainage while squatting has been reported ...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    If you really have lost that much height so fast get to your doctor not the chit chat forum.
    http://blog.aarp.org/2011/09/21/are-you-getting-shorter-what-height-loss-says-about-your-health/
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I kind of wonder if the opposite is true...like, does inversion increase height (if only a little).

I don't do that because I don't have space for one of those things...and if I hooked up gravity boots on my rack I'd probably never get down :D

I do stretch out my back on ab straps after squatting though...and oh man...I will get a POP like as if you are cracking your knuckle. Feels amazing.

I should measure my height right after doing that sometime and see if I can say I'm 6 feet tall again...and I'll just put (only for 15 minutes after stretching) in small print.

Barring actual physiological issues, generally yes.