Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are abs made in the kitchen?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    FAAB_too wrote: »
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.

except for those who can't exercise...

but in reality abs are revealed in the kitchen if you have the genetics for a six pack.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its a two pronged attack. You have to uncover the abs to see them (deficit) but you should also be building something to show (ab work)
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I got to 7.5% body fat (measured by Bod Pod) before I included strength training in my routine, and only had the earliest beginnings of abs.

So yes, in my experience you have to build muscle and maintain low body fat.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Nutrition/calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness/physique improvements. It's much easier to create a caloric deficit with nutrition than to try to do it with exercise. However, depending on one's goals and if you really want what most perceive to be a "fit" physique you'll need to do some exercise. Beyond that, the exercise needs to match the goal physique; training for and running marathons likely isn't going to produce the desired physique if the goal is to look like a gymnast or bodybuilder.
  • srodgers16
    srodgers16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    article in this week's Health magazine, study shows that doing ab exercises does not burn ab fat. Probably something most have already known, but interesting study validated it. Ab exercise can build ab muscle and calorie deficit eliminates fat (and muscle, arggg) evenly across your body.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Abs are made through progressive resistance training...they are revealed in the kitchen.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I believe you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. I think it takes both nutrition and exercise.

What about a mediocre diet, can you exercise your way out of that? A decent one? Where's the line?
  • WR50
    WR50 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Genetics, diet, strength training... in that order.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

What about a mediocre diet, can you exercise your way out of that? A decent one? Where's the line?

The better question is how bad is bad.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can exercise your way out of a bad or mediocre diet, so long as you control calories or do sufficient exercise that even with a bad diet you don't overeat.

Of course, if by a bad diet one means "more calories than one is burning," then it's a tautology.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You can exercise your way out of a bad or mediocre diet, so long as you control calories or do sufficient exercise that even with a bad diet you don't overeat.

Of course, if by a bad diet one means "more calories than one is burning," then it's a tautology.

You can certainly outrun a twinkie or a Bacon cheeseburger.

It's unlikely that you can outrun a box of twinkies and 4 bacon cheeseburgers

So thhhaaaaaaat's what I've been doing wrong...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I'm not a runner, do you think it's possible to out-kickbox a cheeseburger? I do have a pretty mean uppercut.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    More seriously, I mean bad diet as in eats whatever one wants, including lots of so-called fast food or junk food, doesn't really pay attention to portions, doesn't think about nutrition at all, rarely eats vegetables. I've known several people in those categories who are also extremely active, and who remained thin.

You could be in these categories and not end up eating huge amounts of calories, as it just depends on personal preferences.

I even ate a pretty mediocre diet in college (I never was that into fast food and I ate vegetables, but I would eat lots of fries at the college snack bar and certainly drank to excess) and never paid attention to what I ate at all beyond what seemed tastiest of my available options, and yet didn't gain weight because I was active (and young).

Lots of the people I've known in this category WERE young, in fact, often young men.

The problem with outrunning ANY diet is that people whose diets are not controlled in some way are likely to just eat more. If you have a poor diet but are at maintenance and take measures to not add more food and are in shape enough to start running and biking the equivalent of 500 calories per day (unlikely, but who knows) from nothing, you will lose weight.

I am not recommending this, of course.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I'm not a runner, do you think it's possible to out-kickbox a cheeseburger? I do have a pretty mean uppercut.

I'd recommend BJJand trying to get it to Tap-Out
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted!
  • stanmann571
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Challenge accepted!

OK... This guy might be able to.