Weight fluctuation before/during/after menstrual period

Options
Could someone please explain that how and when weight varies of female body before/during/after menstrual period? When is the right time to get an accurate weight?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1

Your weight is whatever you weigh at the moment you are on a properly functioning scale. Everybody's weight fluctuates. Some have fluctuations that show on the scale and some don't but there's no such thing as "I'm having my period so this isn't my real weight." Weighing yourself daily under the same conditions is a good way to learn how your body's weight fluctuates. (For example, get up in the morning, go to the bathroom, take your clothes off, and weigh yourself. Do that each day to be as consistent as possible.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is one universal answer that will apply to everyone who is menstruating.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't lose weight the week of ovulation, sometimes gain a pound or two. Then it comes off and my usual weight loss continues. A few days to a week before my period the same cycle starts again. And drops off a day or later. I only have about two weeks out of the month that I consistently lose.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Its crazy! Lost 4lb the day before TOM and gained 2lb back within 5 days without going over calories! Last month had no change at all in TOM week, arrrh.
    Overall losing weight ok so I'm just focusing on month to month readings.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    This is one of the many reasons trending weight apps are useful. Look at long term trends, not single data points.