Which one should I follow?

Options
maitham09
maitham09 Posts: 26 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi
I set my goals in MFP and it shows that my calories limit to lose weight is 1500. However, I did the same thing in IIFM which is a macros calculator site it says that my calories limit has to be 1309 . Which one should I trust?

Replies

• maitham09
    Options
    Any help!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Is the 1500 and the 1309 both using the same rate of loss per week? Because that seems off. I would think it would be the other way around with MFP giving the lower calories; because MFP expects you to eat more on days you exercise and IIFYM goes by TDEE, I'm pretty sure. IIFYM doesn't have you eat more on exercise days because they figure that into your weekly goals and you are eating an average of your TDEE minus a percentage and spread out across seven days. The numbers work out to about the same if you look at it that way.

I would set MFP to, "Lose 1 pound per week." Eat the amount it gives you. If you exercise, enter that into the Exercise tab. Eat a few hundred calories more on those exercise days, like it will tell you to do.

Keep good records for a couple months and see if you are losing as expected. If not, adjust.
  • maitham09
    Options
    I am going to eat more on the exercise days when I decided to go with IIFYM calories along with MFP. My concern is the calories limit and which one is accurate without starving myself.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    IIFYM should include your exercise calories. MFP does not until you log what you did.

As for what's accurate, you shouldn't be eating less than 1500 anyway.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How are we supposed to answer this with absolutely no info about your height, weight, sex, or activity level? Be reasonable.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you did IIFYM correctly? That seems awful low - especially for a male. Usually as others have pointed out MFP is lower because it doesn't include exercise and IIFYM does. In this instance I would 100% go with MFP - and eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    MFP won't set a limit below what they think is the minimum healthy calories. It doesn't change what you entered as a goal to say it figured you can only safely do 1.5 (or whatever) per week instead of 2, It just shows you 1500 like that is the answer.