weighing vs measuring

Options
I don't have a scale but i bought a measuring tape and recorded my measurements today, but my question is how long does it take for me to see a change in inches vs me seeing a change in weight? If that makes any sense?

Replies

• ScorpioDiva81
    ScorpioDiva81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I saw changes in my weight first. I've been doing this since the beginning of June and I've lost 3 inches in my waist so far.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It is about the same. Sizes however don't fluctuate as much as weight does I think. I weigh myself every day (I know most experts advise against this, but its what works for me), and weight fluctuates sometimes over 2lbs a day for no aparent reason.
    Whatever you use though you should not pay too much attention to sudden variations, these are more likely associated with other factors rather then fat or increase in body mass. Make sure you follow a good nutritional and exercise plan that works for you and keep to it despite what you see on the scale or tape, if you do, I'm sure you'll see results.
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    I do both weight and measurements and I honestly see a lot more inches falling off than I do the scale moving. I've only lost 2 lbs last I checked, but in that same amount of time I've been losing close to a 1/2 an in every few days (slowing down since my free gym trial ended). I think you'll see more from the measuring tape than from the scale in my experience. Keep in mind I've only been at this about 10 days.
  • sche1amy
    sche1amy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I mesured before doing the 30 Day Shred. After I completed I measured again and saw a loss :0) Don't know if it helps but it's a start. I wish I had measured from the begining of my journey. After over 85 pds lost I know many inchs were :0) Best of luck to you!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that people who weigh themselves daily are more likely to reach their goals and keep it off by like 70% or something. i weigh in everyday :) i see a change in measurements every 2-3 weeks..
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    i think its different for everyone, i never really measured myself... I should have but I never quite figured out how to do it correctly)... But it took months before I would drop sizes in pants. I believe that it took me a little more than 7 months to get to size 8 pants from size 12. (I don't remember how long it took me to get to size 10 and I didnt take pictures of me between march 2009 to may 2009 (may i took pics and i was in size 8 shorts at the time but the pants were still tight on me), October of the same year I was in size 8 jeans for good. By November 2009 I was in size 6 jeans!!! :). May 2011 (this year) I finally got into size 4 shorts and I do fit in size 4 pants, but I don't have enough to wear all the time, and they were still a little snug the last time I tried them on, so I'll see how they feel soon! :) CAN'T WAIT!

I check my weight everyday also (or I try to... some days I am unable to check weight)... The poster above me is right... I lost motivation in 2010 to lose more weight, and I ended up gaining 2 lbs back, but because I occassionally checked weight, I was able to keep off the 22.3 lbs that I had lost the year before (total 24.3 lbs but i gained 2 lbs back). It really does help to check weight everyday!!!!!!!
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    I noticed that I lost inches more rapidly than the lbs! I have been at it since June and have lost a total of 24.5 inches and 14.5 lbs. I check my measurements twice an week and weight once a week. HTH!
  • TabbyDunn
    Options
    I use a tape measure bimonthly. Since March I have been stuck at 140 but I dropped 3 inches from my waist and 2 inch from hips and another inch in the thighs. It's a good record to keep but if you are easily discouraged by not seeing a physical number change I would skip it or only do it monthly.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've been vigorously at this for over a month now and my scale hasn't moved much so I JUST bought a measuring tape so I can start using that. I plan on only using it once a month though.
  • wolfey24
    wolfey24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    okay thank you everyone!