New Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I started running July 2010. For about 3 weeks, haha! I started again July 1, 2011! And I haven't stopped yet. I still don't like it, but I know it's important! I only run 3x a week, and I'm working on time... not distance. But I note my distance, so I know how fast I ran. I'm on a program called WorkoutBOX.com that is a 26week program. The trainer has me running steady pace intensity 5-7, 2x a week, and intervals 1x a week. It started out 20 min and is slowly increasing each week. I started out only being able to run 14min (.8 mi, sad, I know!) and I am now able to run..err... trot... haha... for 32 min and make it 2.4mi. Still slow, but I'm getting it done. :) I'll be glad to visit with you about it and help you out, since I'm new to it too!
    Friend request me if you'd like!
  • vicki915
    vicki915 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I want to run, I really do, but as of right now I'm still more of a walker. I will say that 4 weeks ago, at 210lbs, I started MFP and started walking 1 mile a day. That almost killed me! Today, I walked 3 miles with running 45sec every so often. So I'm working my way up (slowly, lol) to were I can be a "Runner". I feel good about myself when I push it just a little farther each day, even if it is just by 5 or 10 sec's. :)
  • audradanielle
    Options
    For some reason I cant stand C25k I think its because i cant stand programs because I get bored after awhile lol.....I ran 1.25 miles today and only stopped two times for less than 15 seconds each....

But my question is since I am training for my first 5k should I work up to a 5k with no incline and then do it after I can run a 5k or do an incline while working up to a 5k ( I run on the treadmill) Im not sure if its best to be able to be "fit" to be able to run a 5k with no incline first then add it in or struggle for much of it and then add the incline to begin with

thanks

It's best to have at least an incline of 1 on the treadmill. That simulates the road, versus an incline of 0, which is a slight downhill on a treadmill.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last week... thus far loving it! Love to join this thread, friend me if you'd like support - I need advice etc likewise. First 6k is 1st Dec so I'm confident I can make it to that :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new addiction! I run for fun and for myself...I've only done one 5k race so far and I might be doing another later this month. My main goal is to do an ultra before I turn 30...I have a lot of practice ahead of me. Just keep up the good work. I suggest you start reading Runners World and visit a local running store to get properly fitted shoes and socks...and look into the team training that they offer.
  • MandyCanDo
    MandyCanDo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to running myself. I completed my first 5k on July 9th at 41 minutes. Had to walk and run, but I finished and it was awesome. I now have a goal of 35 minutes for my next one. The only "advice" I can offer is that once I got off the treadmill and ran outdoors on a trail or just the road, it took on a whole new feeling. I look forward to meeting other new runners too and getting the always needed words of wisdom and encouragement!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started running in mid-June. Working up to my first 5k which is scheduled at the end of this month. Doing something very similar to the C25k.
    Good luck. Would love to have more like minded friends.
    Ang
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Thought I would share one of my previous posts... hope this is a good help for some of you...

Hey Welcome to Running! its an awesome sport and great cardio workout. If you take the time and do it right, it can provide some awesome benefits (Ok... I admit, I am biased) Let me give you a few tips... I was over 320 when I started and now run 40-50 Km per week.

1. Listen to your body and be careful not to overdo it. Pain is an early warning system that shouldn't be ignored.
    2. C25K is an excellent start, but why not look into a Learn to Run Clinic put on by a local running store. Easier to run in a group, its scheduled, you have a trained coach to gleam knowledge from and the peer support is usually fantastic.
    3. Never exceed your previous weeks run by more than 10%. If you run 10 miles this week, you should limit yourself to 11 miles next week. It helps prevent injuries.
    4. Baby steps... remember that people who run and complete full marathons have been doing this for a very long time. Don't get frustrated by slow progress. Instead marvel at your successes.
    5. Enjoy the ride and make some friends. It is easier to keep going when you have someone helping to motivate you.
    6. Hydrate... constantly. Your body will thank you. Running can be an intensive activity. The average runner loses between 500 and 1500 ml of sweat per hour.
    7. Avoid cotton. Cotton acts as a sponge and can be hard on the skin. It can lead to chafing and blisters. Look for clothes made of "Tech Materials" . Common names include Coolmotion, Dry Fit, etc. These are breathable materials that dry quickly and wick moisture from the body. You don't want blistered nipples... trust me. You just don't.
    8. Replace your shoes every 300 miles. Shoes break down quickly and are easier to replace than shins/ankles/feet etc. When you run, you are applying several times your body weight per square inch in impact to your shoes. This happens up to a couple thousand times a mile. Don't cheap out on shoes, your feet will thank you.
    9. For safety's sake, Carry a minimum of three things with you... Identification, Cell phone and Cab Fare. Because you just never know... Also ensure that someone knows where you will be running and approximately when you will be back.
    10. Running is like building a house... it has a foundation, walls and a roof. Speed is the roof and the last thing you'll tack on. Endurance if the foundation. Work on the foundation first.

As for those of you running on a treadmill... yes set your incline to 1 degree to account for normal road surface changes. Also keep in mind that a treadmill is not the same as running outside. Yes it can be boring and you will have the disadvantage of a BELT driving you and maintaining your pace. Running outside is much more difficult but also much more rewarding as you get the fresh air, the constantly changing scenery and the opportunity to play (run) with others.

I usually recommend beginning runners also take a clinic at a place like the Running Room (ok... I'm biased... I coach there) or similar running clubs. The advantages are clear... you get coached by an experienced runner, you have an easy source for knowledge and information and the the comaradery of fellow beginners. It is also introduces a functional and practical schedule and following that schedule helps keep people running healthy and happy.

Please feel free to ask... I am here to help!
  • MandyCanDo
    MandyCanDo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jeff-that is some awesome advice!
  • rat70
    rat70 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I started running (again) in May. Am now a C25K graduate and am running 5km (the two don't necessarily go together!) Recently I posted some tips for getting through the C25K but also relevant to beginning running in general. I am running three times a week - never thought I'd say that!
  • kimberlyawagner
    Options
    Would love to get to that point!
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just started running....yesterday. Made it a whole 0.15 of a mile before I gave in. Today I managed 0.40 before I wanted to vomit! I have a long way to go, but I'm going to stick in there. Not that it feels good while I'm doing it, but I love the way I feel afterwards (plus, I had a really REALLY bad day at work today and my first thought was, "can't wait to get on the treadmill!" Seriously, someone call a doctor.)

I was looking back at my log and realized that on June 21st (2011) I could only run for 7 minutes! 7 blasted minutes.... and I was proud of that at the time. But today I realized that Wow I am so much more proud that I have run for 45 minutes everyday this week!

You keep at it... you'll soon find that you miss the great feeling and energy it gives you when you dont' get to run. Keep up the good work!!!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Beware-it gets addicting! Then you get bored with running and start doing triathlons : )

It sure does...I'm up to 1.5 miles straight. Can't wait to be able to get to that marathon length!