Good sources of energy but low in calories

Options
mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
Hi all! I'm working on losing weight. My iron is low due to a medical condition and I'm currently taking 360 mg of iron tablets prescribed by my doctor. I've a (benign) cyst but it's painful and can't really exercise until it's gone. Also, the pain killers are making me sleepy and don't have energy at all. I'm struggling to set a meal plan (1200-1400 cal. since I barely move at all) with food high in energy but low in calories.

I usually have coffee with almond/rice milk and a slice of bread with peanut butter or muesli. At work I have rice, quinoa, couscous or pasta with legumes and veggies and fruit. Then at night I have a salad or soup and fish (tuna, salmon or cod) or veggie sausages with veggies, potatoes and gravy, except on Friday night that I have some pizza. For snacks, I usually have a cereal bar, more fruit, yogurt or nuts. I don't eat diary or meat, I don't like it.

I'm not sure if I should have a protein as a snack or for breakfast. I've kale, nuts, spinach or legumes everyday, as I've read they are rich in iron. Any tips, books and blog recommendations, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Calories literally are energy, so there's no such thing as a high energy, low calorie food. Complex carbohydrates will provide more sustained energy than refined carbohydrates, but that's about it. Switch from white pasta to whole grain pasta. Swap white bread for whole grain. Make sure your cereal bar is made with whole grains, etc.

Pair your iron rich foods with vitamin C, as vitamin C aids iron absorption. Avoid taking caffeine with/around the time that you are eating iron rich foods since it impedes absorption. Source: I'm low in iron.

Thank you.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can eat protein, or any other nutrient, any time of the day you like. Many people do find that they feel satisfied longer if they eat protein for breakfast, and there are some studies to support that, (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3718776/). However, in terms of getting all of your nutrients, you can eat your protein when you want it. I generally do eat a high-protein and high-fiber breakfast, both of which help me feel full.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you really eat what you describe, then your diet is perfectly fine... Don't worry about it, not at all. I guess you might be stressing out over having the cyst removed. That's fair enough. Addressing that worry is likely more productive than anything else. But, of course, this is just a hunch (my wife has a cyst to remove as well).
  • zephyre7
    zephyre7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love kale chips. They replaced my old favorite potato chips. Remove stems, break into bite-size pieces on a flat baking pan. Spray them with some Cooking Spray, season lightly, then sprinkle with Braggs nutritional yeast (<-- High in B-Vitamins and Vegan!)

Bake in a 350-degree oven for 8 -15 minutes. (Until crisp.)

If you decide to try them, be sure to check your teeth before going out in public because the little pieces get stuck in your teeth and look bad. (A Waterpic comes in handy.)

Good luck!