Gallbladder removed!!

Options
2»

Replies

• casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    Had mine out a few years ago, and I suffer from "dumping" as well (lol never heard it referred to as that) but only when I eat really greasy fatty food. So basically, any fast food. But I don't really consider this a bad thing lol it's a good deterrent from eating that stuff.
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thank you all, this is very helpful!!
  • Tamelaine
    Tamelaine Posts: 37
    Options
    I had mine out and on occasion I suffer from "dumping" as well, too. If it is a spicy of fatty meal or if I go to long without eating. Other than that, no problems. I think I have a harder time losing weight without it as well.
    I never had a problem with it at all, and we always ate very healthy, but what caused mine is...wait for it..pregnancy!! I was super young too-23 and pregnant with our first child and all of a sudden started having attacks. Apparently a lot of pregnant women have gall bladder problems! Anyways, we weren't going to have the surgery but a stone got lodged in one of the ducts/tube that leads to the liver and my liver got blocked! I turned a lovely shade of yellow and they had to do the surgery (not laproscopic because I was pregnant). I actually recovered pretty quickly. It seems I can eat anything I want (the dumping problem is getting rarer and rarer). On occasion I do get these weird pains where the gall bladder used to be and I ended up with a gross looking scar since my stomach kept growing of course after the surgery and it got all stretched out and icky looking.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Too much fat for sure can effect me (or used to), and before I started this diet EVERYTHING bothered me! I had mine out in 2002 and my dr said I had one of the most serious side effects after having it out that hes seen, including simple water at times. Since changing my diet, I can pretty much eat anything :) Good luck!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Had mine out in 95. I ate mild foods for about a week after, then back to normal. The only problem I had was while in the recovery room and had phantom pains in my back, they gave me a shot of demerol and I brought every ounce of liquid in my digestive system up on the floor....I could have brought up my shoes if I had been wearing any. No problems of any kind since.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im getting mines tooken out next month, how quickly were you all able to go back to regular activity??

Did you really just type "mines tooken out"?
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 22 years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble with any kind of food.
  • MommaMind
    MommaMind Posts: 28
    Options
    had mine taken out right after having my daughter in 2008. No complications as far as that went, but everyone is different. Good luck!
  • gardea
    gardea Posts: 75
    Options
    I only had one attack. I did not have gallstones. I had a collaped gallbladder. I eat anything I want without any problems. If I go too long without eating, I get pretty bad hunger pains, but that's it. Now they attempted to do the easy laproscopy on me and then had to open me up all the way because they were having trouble reaching the gallbladder. So of course my recovery time was longer. I have a high pain tolerance and did well though. I was on complete bedrest for about a week and then was able to move around a little more easily. After two full weeks I was able to go back to work 1/2 days for two weeks, then full time again after that. This runs in my family. Out of six of us, my mom and brother are the only two who still have their gallbladders. However, my sisters didn't have theirs out until they were 28 and 30 respectively. I had mine out 4 years ago, so I was 31. My dad had his out two weeks after me and was in his fifties. Everyone except me had gallstones. And eventhough my mom still has her gallbladder, she had several problems with it when she was in her late 20s. So we tell my brother, hey man, its just a matter of time, lol. He is 25 and the baby of the family. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have great luck. My dad and I don't have any problems eating. My sister and I both get the same hunger pains if we go too long without eating. My other sister still has to watch what she eats. She cannot have anything greasy or fatty and she cannot tolerate alcohol. So, there ya go, four people, same family, different outcomes.
  • smithmntry
    smithmntry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out a little over a month ago. Leading up to a severe attack that landed me in the ER I hadn't experienced ANY symptoms. The pain was excruciating and I demanded they remove it, my admission blood pressure was 200 over 167 from the pain. Morphine helped but it took me from a 12 on the pain scale to only a 4. The M.D.'s were amazing and removed it about 13 hours after I'd checked in. Turns out my gallbladder was gangrenous and I'd had no idea. The docs told me this wasn't the norm but I was truly lucky it hadn't burst and caused a serious internal infection. Since then I can't eat fast food anymore, and my BM's smell funny. I also found out people with Native American ancestry are more likely to need removal. I suppose the point I'm getting to is sometimes you have no choice but to have it removed, for me it's better than the alternative. Good luck.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread alert.

obahwplledzj.jpg
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Had mine removed and I eat whatever. Nothing changed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Had mine out, no dietary restriction at all. Back to full workouts in 4-6 weeks. Mine was laparoscopic but an open procedure would have a longer recovery. The risk is rupturing the internal wound, so follow Dr orders.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Had mine out a few years ago and was finally able to eat everything again. Before that, fat food always gave me colics. I was fine after.
    My sister, on the other hand, had problems for approx. 2 years afterwards. I don't remember exactly if there was something specific, or only a too late dinner, but she often got up during the night, because she felt terrible and had to drink some tea, to get her stomach calmed.
  • AbbyPort89
    AbbyPort89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 4 years ago and I struggle with "Dumping Syndrome". My body says "no" almost immediately to foods high in fat. Like, we've been sitting in a restaurant I have had 6 bites of chicken Alfredo pasta and I have to get up and go to bathroom. Please god don't let there be a line.

But, that's better then having a gallbladder attack any day. When I had my first gallbladder attack I was ready to end it all. I had no idea what was happening to me. I kept it a secret for 3 days and finally asked my aunt who is an RN and she told me to go to the hospital.

Seriously the worst pain I've ever been in.

Post-op recovery was tough for me. I took 10 days off work and wished I had more. I'm someone who always though they had a high tolerance for pain but it was tough. The "gas" they filled my abdomen with so they could do the laparoscopic procedure stayed with me for a while, and hurt my stomach a lot. The incision below my belly button rubbed on my pants and very slowly healed.

All-in-all would do it again.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    2.5 years post op - all fine, no probs x'cpt if I eat too much melted cheese, which I don't have the calories for so not a problem