Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is every single body in the world intended to be within the so-called healthy BMI range?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    JasonMcS wrote: »
    @stevencloser So with or without...does he fit? I can go to my gym and pull you 5 men (I am in a small gym) that I can think of off the top of my head that are body builders in the 6 foot tall range and in the 200 pound plus range. Start asking some that you know their weight. Put you absolute knowledge to work. Start putting body builders in to the BMI scale. Not cut weight now. Do it for homework. then be honest about what you find. Do you really think a skinny fat person that sits at a desk and eats snickers is in better statistical shape than these body builders who make a diet of protein shakes, fruits and vegetables, and lean meat? But the BMI will tell you they are. It is wrong. Do the home work. I used Arnold as an example because of his Mr. Olympian titles and because everyone knows him.
    Again, we are talking about opinion. It is one thing we all get to have.

There's some evidence (if I recall correctly, based on a study of football players)that very high BMI increases mortality risk even if it's muscle. Your cardiovascular system has to work harder if there is more of you, period. Excessive fat has additional negative effects, but being bigger and more muscular than a human can get without spending hours doing nothing but trying to get muscular isn't necessarily super healthy.

This is very important. Take someone like Vince Wilfork who retired from football last year. He was a relatively healthy 325 lb man when he retired.

If he's Wise, he's not 325 lbs today. He may not be 195 lbs which is what his height/BMI suggest are desirable because to get that low he'd need to be comatose. OTOH, If he took advantage of the discipline/fitness habits he gained over almost 20 years of playing football and his relative youth(36/37), he could have easily cut down to 260 or 240 within a very short time by maintaining activity and cutting calories. He would still be obese, but he would be healthy and obese.
  • JasonMcS
    JasonMcS Posts: 96 Member
    I can go to my gym and pull you 5 men (I am in a small gym) that I can think of off the top of my head that are body builders in the 6 foot tall range and in the 200 pound plus range.

Nobody thinks there aren't outliers. Your trying to prove a point that everybody already agrees with. The part you seem to be missing though is you can also find 500 people on the sidewalk, at the mall, in the grocery store, or anywhere else, who are 5 feet tall and 200 pounds.

If their are 20% "outliers" is that enough to call this bad science? What about 30%? I agree it is a good estimation. I don't agree that it is definitive or that it has validity in the medical or Insurance industry in generalizations about another human's health. with 10% outliers it is not accurate enough to stereotype humans.

We disagree. I am cool with that!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I can go to my gym and pull you 5 men (I am in a small gym) that I can think of off the top of my head that are body builders in the 6 foot tall range and in the 200 pound plus range.

Nobody thinks there aren't outliers. Your trying to prove a point that everybody already agrees with. The part you seem to be missing though is you can also find 500 people on the sidewalk, at the mall, in the grocery store, or anywhere else, who are 5 feet tall and 200 pounds.

If their are 20% "outliers" is that enough to call this bad science? What about 30%? I agree it is a good estimation. I don't agree that it is definitive or that it has validity in the medical or Insurance industry in generalizations about another human's health. with 10% outliers it is not accurate enough to stereotype humans.

How did you determine that 20 % of the population are outliers for BMI?

Nothing is stopping you from starting an insurance company and ignoring BMI. If that's as wise as you say, you'll get rich!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    My kids wanted to take a look at Wii Fit the other day, so I booted it up. I used to weigh myself consistently on it years ago, and the system would modify your Mii (avatar) accordingly. I'm 6 ft 175 lbs, and my Mii went from being skinny to looking dumpy, since I am towards the heavier side of "normal", lol. Big head, skinny arms and legs, round belly, thanks for the positive body composition, Wii...

viflxtv7mns3.jpg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »

The thing is, I don't think you do disagree. I honestly haven't seen ANYONE in this thread say BMI works for everyone or should be used to determine who gets health insurance or who gets put on an ice flow and sent out to sea. Just that it's a reasonably good starting place for the average person to determine where they stand. Back in the beginning of the thread when we were still dealing with the OP, many said that BMI is a good indicator, but no you shouldn't judge your health based entirely on that. From my perspective, you seem to be disagreeing with something no one has said?

Yes, this is what was puzzling me too.

BMI is not "bad science," since no one has claimed that it's really science or that BMI is the sole and best determination of what a healthy weight is for an individual. As you said, it's a good starting place that fits most individuals and it's a pretty good measure of weight changes/overweight and obesity for a population.

If someone wants to ignore BMI and focus on BF% (which is harder to know, but there are ways) or photos (if you don't have some form of distortion going on) or clothing size or measurements, eh, whatever.

Also, anyone who is really an outlier and gets to a point where he has no more weight to lose will know it, it won't be an accident, he will likely be quite focused on body composition.
  • JasonMcS
    JasonMcS Posts: 96 Member

Nothing is stopping you from starting an insurance company and ignoring BMI. If that's as wise as you say, you'll get rich!

My buddy don't understand the definition of "if" . LOL I might pee myself.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    When you're done peeing yourself, feel free to respond to what was posted.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member

If it's a "normal"/Gaussian curve, outliers of any sort should be 5% at 2 SD from the mean--or at least that should have been true when the confidence intervals were determined. Just because there may be more outliers at the top end now because our population is getting more obese doesn't make them any less obese.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I try not to worry too much about BMI b/c it doesn't take muscle into account. Instead, I to go by my waistline measurement- so for my height (5'3) I should have about a 30 inch waistline. How I look with that is up to me, maybe I wanna be soft and sensual, maybe I wanna look like Arnold Schwarzeneggar with boobies. (honestly, I just want some rockin biceps, and legs like Tina Turner)

see not sure I would jsut follow that eitehr..

I just plugged mine in as it is now...it's okay...55lbs ago it told me to consider action...really??? consider action..and at 1 inch less it was okay...which was about 3lbs less...

naw...I don't buy that either...

it's a good start but in no way is a good measure to use alone.

neither is weight, bf%, waist to hip ratio (which regardless of my weight said I was low risk)...

gotta take them all with a few lab results to get a full disclosure of health etc.
  • KenzieTeague
    KenzieTeague Posts: 10 Member
    BMI is a horrible measurement of health. I wish they would get rid of that as the standard already. I would stick to actual measurments and fitness level as a more accurate assessment of where you are and where you should be.
  • SezxyStef
    BMI is a horrible measurement of health. I wish they would get rid of that as the standard already. I would stick to actual measurments and fitness level as a more accurate assessment of where you are and where you should be.

how so? please explain.

I am in a normal BMI range and I am healthy...when I was on the high end of overweight I had bad lab results in a lot of things...as my BMI number came down...wow so did those numbers and I became healthy when I entered the Normal BMI range...as do most people...not all...MOST
  • SezxyStef
    jdlobb wrote: »
    oy vey, still on this. always will be I suppose.

Somebody who puts deliberate effort into building mass is going to be outside of the BMI scale. That doesn't make them a true outlier though. They forced their body outside it. If they, as a person, were to stop putting great effort into building and maintaining mass, and lived a normal life the way normal people did, they would fall back into the normal BMI range quite quickly.

The only things that make somebody an outlier is if they naturally do not fit. For example, because of disease. If you have scoliosis that makes your measured height 2 inches shorter than it would be without a curved spine, you are an outlier.

Somebody who becomes statistically "obese" according to BMI because they workout or take drugs and put on 50 pounds of muscle is no more a statistical "outlier" than somebody who puts on 50 pounds of fat intentionally because they chose to eat 4000 calories a day for years.

That's not what an outlier is.

An outlier would be somebody has to put abnormal effort into MEETING the BMI standard. Which would be almost no one. Simply eating a healthy amount of food, engaging in a normal healthy amount of activity, and as a result having a normal, healthy body fat %, will, for 95%+ of people result in a BMI within the considerably wide health range.

So if say Arnold Schwarzenegger back in the day would be obese if he wouldn't be an outlier. That makes the word obese have no meaning, right? So in his mr olympia days he was in fact obese in your opinion? He and I have something in common. LOL Really I am with you. just being ridiculous for the sake of it.

I am not sure i get what you are saying? or how it impacts what you quoted???