How to get protein in a smoothie without protein powders

In order to reach the macros my dietitian recommended (at least 20 mg protein each meal), I'm relying heavily on protein powder in my smoothies to get extra protein. I don't want to quit smoothies, because they're so much easier than cooking a meal and faster. I also tend to make 2 weeks worth in advance. I consume a total of 10 smoothies per week, and real food for the rest of the time. My smoothies have powder, spinach, soymilk, berries, oatmeal, and whatever else I might want to throw in there.

My question is:
Is is possible to get good protein without using powders?

As a side note, I'm limited on some protein sources due to some digestion issues, so beef is completely out these days. I sometimes eat lean chicken, venison, or fish. And of course, I can eat beans until they are coming out my ears. I've thought about just putting my beans in my smoothies, but have worried that it wouldn't taste right for the amount needed to get to 20 grams of protein.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Yes. If you don't have problems with dairy, that's my best suggestion. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk. Soy milk isn't that great nutrition wise. You can add yogurt or milk to lots of recipes, too. What about eggs? Several egg whites in a smoothie would do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    greek yogurt
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    greek yogurt 23-24gr protein per cup (224gr)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Yogurt for sure.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    There are many kinds of protein powders to try. Pea protein, hemp. Whey, soy. If you want to try hemp or whey, I'll gladly mail you a baggie full to try, without committing to buying a bunch of it and spending $$$.

I'll probably get pea next time and will gladly share with you.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Along with good dairy suggestions above, you have seed and nut options that are high protein, such as peanut butter or chia seeds. You could also try adding Edemame or another higher protein vegetable source like chickpeas. YMMV with how much protein you can get into a smoothie and still meet your cals or other macro goals, and stay on a budget.
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    I'm not really a fan of the overwhelming yogurt taste in smoothies so I prefer cottage cheese, blends up really nicely.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    I don't like yogurt in my smoothies, so I would just mix in liquid eggwhites into your smoothie. 1 cup has 27g of protein!
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Silken tofu
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    This just sounds so sad and difficult, I can't just sit and watch, I have to offer a different approach. How about setting a reasonable protein goal first. It looks like your goal is 115 grams per day? That's a bit high. Nothing wrong per se, but it's hard to reach, forces your to eat strange food, it's expensive, and it might crowd out other nutrients you need. Just lowering it to 80-100 grams would make it so much easier to reach, and still be plenty for good health and satiety.

Then look at your day as a whole. If time is an issue, consider if eating fewer meals can free up time. Three or four meals could work just as fine. Normally, dinner is the meal most people get most of their protein, because of its "nature" - it's the biggest meal and has meat or fish as a main part. You don't have to get in the same amount of protein for every meal. In fact, allowing flexibility opens up for more variety, which is way more important.

I'm also wondering how you store that smoothie to keep it from spoiling. Do you freeze it?
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    If you can afford the calories, almond butter is what I use
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    I don't think I would use fresh dairy or eggs in something that is being mixed up in batches that will last for two weeks. I have my doubts even about using powdered milk in something that's going to sit in the refrigerator for that long. Maybe yogurt or kefir, since they're already "sour," but that doesn't really stop unwelcome bacteria from colonizing the smoothie and making it turn.

OP, am I misunderstanding about the two-week batch? Do you portion them out and freeze them until a few hours before you consume them? I would think even the spinach and berries you're already using would get nasty after two weeks.

If you can afford the calories, almond butter is what I use

That's a lot of calories. More than 600 calories for the 20 g of protein OP wants for each smoothie.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Silken tofu

I think this would be a good answer. Flavorless and gives a nice creamy quality. I'm not sure how it would hold up for two weeks, though, but almost certainly better than raw egg whites.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Low sodium cottage cheese
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Doesn't the smoothie go off in two weeks? Try two tablespoons of hemp seeds. Spinach has some protein and you don't HAVE to have exactly 20g of protein per smoothie. Sounds strange to me. One meal can be 15g and then the next meal can be 60g...it's the total amount of protein that you eat in the day that counts.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    I'm following this to see if we find out why/how she makes 2 weeks worth at a time :)

I've put black beans in a smoothie with no noticeable "beanie" flavour. Also tofu, ricotta cheese, hemp hearts, and cottage cheese, but my old standby is always Greek yoghurt.

As an aside, I read somewhere that calories that you drink don't necessarily register in your brain the same way as calories that you chew. Some mornings I have a smoothie, some mornings I have yoghurt and fruit (basically the same amount of ingredients and macros). For me, the chewing definitely feels more satisfying lol
  • Angief05
    Angief05 Posts: 102 Member
    TheGimp wrote: »
    In order to reach the macros my dietitian recommended (at least 20 mg protein each meal), I'm relying heavily on protein powder in my smoothies to get extra protein. I don't want to quit smoothies, because they're so much easier than cooking a meal and faster. I also tend to make 2 weeks worth in advance. I consume a total of 10 smoothies per week, and real food for the rest of the time. My smoothies have powder, spinach, soymilk, berries, oatmeal, and whatever else I might want to throw in there.

My question is:
    Is is possible to get good protein without using powders?

As a side note, I'm limited on some protein sources due to some digestion issues, so beef is completely out these days. I sometimes eat lean chicken, venison, or fish. And of course, I can eat beans until they are coming out my ears. I've thought about just putting my beans in my smoothies, but have worried that it wouldn't taste right for the amount needed to get to 20 grams of protein.

I agree with greek yogurt and what about almond milk. Also you could put hemp heart seeds they are good sources of protein also
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Just as easy, Small tin/pouch of tuna +Tablespoon or so of Pace.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited November 2017
    what about the flavored egg whites you can buy?

https://www.muscleegg.com/