Weight loss per month?

Options
Hey guys! I’m having a hard time setting goals (I’m thinking I’m expecting way too much from myself haha). I was wondering on average how much do you guys lose each month? Thank you!! :)

Replies

• NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Losing up to 1% of your body weight per week, as long as your minimum number of calories is 1,200 or above is considered safe and acceptable.
    Whatever weight goal you choose, you want it to be sustainable.
    So, look at your calorie goal with a 2 lb per week weight loss - is that a defecit you can live with? What about 1 pound a week goal?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. There are different safe levels for everyone, depending on their age, height, sex and activity level.

It takes some experimenting to find a calorie deficit that works for you and doesn't leave you feeling too hungry.

There is a subforum called Challenges where there are a lot of monthly challenges to lose xx-amount of weight during the month. They may be a nice motivator for you!
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Healthy 1kg per week, at the beggining might be little more cause of losing water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a novel idea. ....use what mfp gives you and stop comparing yourself to others....that just sets you up for failing. You have to do you.

I’m not comparing myself to others, but quite frankly MPF gives everyone in my weight range the same information. You don’t have to be smart about It- just simply asking a question. Thanks!

Not really...........

MFP starts out by giving you information based on your current height and weight. The problem comes when people put in an overly aggressive weekly weight loss goal. An aggressive goal = a DEFAULT minimum (1200 before exercise).

You do get to choose though. As @cwolfman13 pointed out, pick something you are comfortable with.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Here's a novel idea. ....use what mfp gives you and stop comparing yourself to others....that just sets you up for failing. You have to do you.

I’m not comparing myself to others, but quite frankly MPF gives everyone in my weight range the same information. You don’t have to be smart about It- just simply asking a question. Thanks!

Not true...it's going to be variable as per activity level.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    5-8 lbs per month is about the highest sustainable for me.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Actually your numbers are not just based on weight. It is based on your BMR (age, height, & weight), and your individual activity level. You choose the number of pounds you want to lose. People who have a lot to lose usually start at 2 lbs per week, moderate amount 1 lb per week, and just a few pounds 0.5 lb per week. I started at 2 lbs but after losing 15 lbs my BMR has dropped and I'm down to losing 1 lb per week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I’m having a hard time setting goals (I’m thinking I’m expecting way too much from myself haha). I was wondering on average how much do you guys lose each month? Thank you!! :)

How tall are you and how many pounds away from your goal weight are you?
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I lose about 4-9 pounds per month.
  • laurenelha21
    laurenelha21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you actually answering my question lol
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your statistics it's hard to give a meaningful answer. When I was obese I could consistently lose about 10 lbs a month. When I was just overweight it dropped to about 6 - 8. Now I am normal weight and slowly recomping, and so far I've been losing about a pound per week, but as long as the trend is down and not up I'm in no hurry.

The rule of thumb is not to try to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight per week.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Ive been losing about 3-5 pounds a month since January (down 37 lbs so far). I actually didn’t use MFP’s recommendations, but started by logging everything I ate for a while, then slowly cutting back here and there. It took about six months to get to the point I’m at now, which is a comfortable rate of loss for me that still lets me enjoy my life. I don’t plan to cut back too much more, so the rate I’m losing is going to drop gradually, but I’m good with that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options

If you ask a question and a lot of people respond with questions, you might want to at least consider whether you provided enough information in the first place.

If you ask a question and a lot of people offer what seems like non-responsive answers, you might want to at least consider whether you're asking the right question, or a meaningful question.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, that answer is completely useless to you. How many lbs you can or should lose per week depends on your height, weight, and activity level. A tall, active woman with 70 lbs to lose will have a very different answer than a short sedentary woman with 20 lbs to lose.

I lost @ 1 lb per month when I was losing weight.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've been losing about 6-8 lbs. per month. I was set to lose 2lbs. Per week. I'm over 50 and my starting weight was 237. I'm at 208 now and changed my weekly goal to 1 lb. per week last week. I weigh on Sunday so I'll see how much I've lost. My calorie intake decreased to 1200 and that's too low for me without being ravenous everyday so I'd rather eat more and lose at a slower pace. I have 71 lbs. to go!