Daily protein intake

Options
I'm supposed to take in 65g of protein daily. If I were to drink my protein shake then my only sources of protein for today would be the shake and 2 eggs. My question is how can i figure out how much protein am I suppose to intake for the sake of energy and repair? I'm 5'5" and currently weight 140lbs, if it helps.

Thank you.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    100g would be about right
  • shanehackney
    shanehackney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 100g. You should also try to spread that through out the day. I have heard that the body can only 30g of protein per feeding. Doing so will also help you feel full longer through out the day curbing your appetite.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    100g would be about right

I'd go with .8g/lb of your body weight, so 100-112 should be a good minimum. No maximum other than your calorie limit.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    With the info you give, 150g will be a catch all.

Age, gender, and goals can change that amount.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If I might chime in....

100g might be a little bit on the low side? It all depends on goals. But, generally between 0.8g and 1g per pound of body weight is the suggestion. Now, I go a little farther and suggest that it be "per pound of lean body mass", but that is just me.

If you are focused on something, I might suggest that you focus first and foremost on Caloric Intake. Try to be with 5% of that everyday (I put a ton of emphasis on the weekly goal.....with the daily goal simply being a data point in the weekly goal).

If you break things down a bit farther, then focus next on your Macros. I would suggest that Protein intake would be set at the percentage that I suggested. That (your protein intake) should be a consistent value. Fat intake *could* be around 0.35g per pound of body weight (again, I would suggest lean body mass) and then carbs be what's left over. But, Protein intake would be the consistent part to that equation and then you find a good ratio of Carbs | Fat that works for you.

Keep in mind that you should try to be within 10% of your Marco goals each day. With, again, the daily goals being a data point in the weekly total.

Make sense?

Also, keep in mind that you can indeed consume too much protein. So, the more the better does not necessarily apply here.
  • thapainmaker
    thapainmaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    NicoMajor wrote: »
    I'm supposed to take in 65g of protein daily. If I were to drink my protein shake then my only sources of protein for today would be the shake and 2 eggs. My question is how can i figure out how much protein am I suppose to intake for the sake of energy and repair? I'm 5'5" and currently weight 140lbs, if it helps.

Thank you.

Who told you 65grams? I always shot for 1.5 to 2 grams per lb of body weight... that’s just me though my mom says I’m brainwashed but then again she’s vegan lol
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Try to get most of your protein from your foods. Drinks,bars and others are just to make up what you didn't eat from your meal
  • thapainmaker
    Options
    Try to get most of your protein from your foods. Drinks,bars and others are just to make up what you didn't eat from your meal

Hey, not trying to start an argument but I personally never bought into that. I mean shakes are just liquified food if you think about it.... I have such a hard time eating with my meds I have to drink a lot of my cals and it’s been working so far... just my 2cents

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Hey, not trying to start an argument but I personally never bought into that. I mean shakes are just liquified food if you think about it.... I have such a hard time eating with my meds I have to drink a lot of my cals and it’s been working so far... just my 2cents

They are meal substitutes. As long as you understand that. Most people think they have magical powers because of all the marketing hype.
  • thapainmaker
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

They are meal substitutes. As long as you understand that. Most people think they have magical powers because of all the marketing hype.

Yeah I see what you’re saying I’ve serm some people treat them like they’re some kind of steroid