Keto Diet Cheat

Hi guys! I have a question regarding cheating on keto, I have been doing keto for a couple of weeks and am very happy with how I feel on this new lifestyle change. Next week I ma going on a cruise for my 21st birthday, in which this is an unlimited booze cruise (yay). I still plan to stick to keto with my food on the cruise, but in terms of the alcohol I am going to be consuming a more than I would on a normal keto week. Would the 3 days of drinking give me a significant amount of water weight or fat gain back? I am sure that it will kick me out of ketosis, I am just nervous that my hard work will be lost from drinking. If anyone has any information or stories regarding keto and alcohol, please share! :)

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Keto doesn't negate how calories work... if you eat/drink more than your TDEE, that will result in fat gain. If you drink sugary drinks for 3 days, you'll most definitely no longer be in ketosis and experience some water weight gain - but that's just temporary of course. When I did keto, I just stuck to diet coke & rum, or diet sprite & vodka. I found that keto made me a light-weight and I only needed 2-3 drinks to get heavily buzzed, so keep that in mind on your first boozy day.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    Keto doesn't negate how calories work... if you eat/drink more than your TDEE, that will result in fat gain. If you drink sugary drinks for 3 days, you'll most definitely no longer be in ketosis and experience some water weight gain - but that's just temporary of course. When I did keto, I just stuck to diet coke & rum, or diet sprite & vodka. I found that keto made me a light-weight and I only needed 2-3 drinks to get heavily buzzed, so keep that in mind on your first boozy day.

Agreed.
  • JCT1000
    JCT1000 Posts: 19 Member
    To do the least damage, choose drinks with low or better no sugar. I've been told that drinking wine or liquor straight or with soda will not throw you out of ketosis, however will reduce your fat burning capacity. As noted above, you may be more susceptible to the intoxicating effects of alcohol, so pace yourself. Also, I've noticed if I have more than one or two drinks, for some reason my diet regulating will power takes a dive (into a bowl of chips :s ). Good luck, happy birthday, and have a great time!.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Water weight? Yes, it can. (Others have already addressed your second q, regarding fat.) When I did LC and VLC, if I ate above my carbs (not net, I always did total) I'd gain about three pounds of, I'm assuming, water by the next morning.

I don't blame you for believing the fat part, though, considering what's out there on keto applause sites with the "science" of "how fat reacts" to "the same or even more" calories and blah blah. It's everywhere, it's a "thing" right now and is its own thread (hell, probably its own book...in several volumes) all by itself as to what parts are reworked to fit the idea, which have relevance but only in certain ways, and...like a bajillion other things. Taken all together it LOOKS impressive. So I won't get down on you for that. I just wanted to address the water part. Your TL:DR: Yes, some, probably many (at least from my experience, having been on many a LC and/or keto and/or related site) is that if you are keto, and you drink a bunch, you are probably more likely than not to "weigh" up for a few days to a week.

I'd go and I'd enjoy, personally.