Girlfriend broke up with me/panic mode

Options
Hey everyone.. my girlfriend of eight months broke up with me earlier today. I'm not looking for sympathy, it's my life and I don't want to make you feel bad, but I just need to know how to keep going on with making good choices and being healthy at this time in my life. She is the one who showed me that this is possible. Right now, all I can think about is shoving my face into a pizza and giving it all up. I started this journey three days ago. She broke up with me after completing my second run. Talk about bad timing, huh?

Has anyone else been able to work through hard times such as this? I'm going into panic mode at the moment.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Don't let this stop you or get you down. Instead, use this as your motivation to better yourself. In the end, looking to food and minimum exercise will bring you down even worse. Instead, use this as a time to do something good for you. Focus on you for awhile, and show her what she's missing. :)
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Go on another run, go find something healthy and productive. Read a book, cry, rent a movie... Don't give up. There is hope. If you need a friend or someone to talk to.. You can def friend me or just message me... :)
  • laureneva15
    Options
    I broke up with my boyfriend of 19months about a month ago.
    You can and will get through this.

Just remember the trick is to keep breathing.
    Right now call a friend get them over and do something.
    Just take each day as it comes. You'll have your good moments and your bad.
    You will have to learn you will just have to accept that.
    Allow yourself some greiving time.
    And do not be hard on yourself.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    gonna need you to not have pizza grease on your chin when you meet your next girlfriend....
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Were you getrting healthy for her or for yourself? If it was for her, then go back to what you were doing. If you are doing this for you, then no one else should matter when it comes to your health.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You have to remember what you're doing this for, to better YOU.
    As much as you would like to drown your sorrows in pizza, you know deep down that a) it only lasts until the pizza is gone and b) once it is gone, you're still depressed over your breakup, AND depressed at your attempted calorie suicide.

The best revenge in any breakup isn't to lash out, or sabotage yourself, or beg for forgiveness etc. It's to better yourself, move forward, continue with your goals, and walk into a room she's in 6 months down the road a completely new person both on the inside and the outside.

Stick with your goals. It's hard when you're upset, but at the end of the day, you'll be proud that you succeeded. Don't let a breakup get the best of you. Take control. You can't control the fact that she brokeup with you, but you CAN control how you react to that.

Keep your head up, and put the pizza down :)
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. :(
    Its not about looking for sympathy. You coming on here looking for help shows that you know its possible for yourself. People come and go a lot faster and easier than weight and bad health. Get fit, hot and sexified and show her what she left. Always look for support when you need it.

Stay strong and good luck!
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Realize that you didn't start this journey for her, you started it for you. I'm sorry for your loss, but keep going, keep looking forward. You are going to have a time of grieving (I did with the last guy I dated and I only dated him for 3 months...sadly I shoved my head into ice cream and pizza...). Eating a pizza may fill the void while you are eating, but when you are done with it, you'll feel bloated, over full, and sad. Allow yourself to cry and get it out, but don't give up on your journey to better health.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I'm heartbroken, I usually have no appetite and am really jittery/restless, so in the past I've made the most of this by eating VERY clean (no cravings or desire to eat) (this has meant brown rice, black beans, plain chicken, green bell peppers) and spending a lot of time on the elliptical/pounding the pavement, trying to exhaust myself to a point that I can consider sleeping.
    EDIT: I understand this might not help you if your sadness doesn't affect you in the same way, but the point is that it might be possible to channel it in a healthy way. At least your lifestyle is one thing affecting your happiness that you can control--if your rational self (however submissive it might seem right now) knows that eating well and exercising makes you feel good (physically and emotionally), hopefully it can win out over your desire for that pizza, which is a short-term form of happiness.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just think how healthy and fit you are going to look next time you run into her. You'll be healthy, happy, and over her.

Breakups are really hard, but keeping your healthy habits can be a positive that helps you through it. I quit smoking during my last big breakup and everyone was shocked that I was able to quit in the midst of emotional turmoil. But it actually really was a bright spot in my life, something that made me feel good about myself, instead of drowning in sorrow.

So maybe this can be your bright spot.
  • AnaBananaChan
    Options
    I can't say I've been in a similar situation. I am honestly on here for me and me only. Find the reasons to continue for yourself and if you need a kick in the right, this one guy's blog got me thinking and I hope it does the same for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LifebloomLMT/view/you-didn-t-fall-off-the-wagon-you-jumped-132503
  • laureneva15
    Options
    Were you getrting healthy for her or for yourself? If it was for her, then go back to what you were doing. If you are doing this for you, then no one else should matter when it comes to your health.

This. Always this.
  • BProudOfU
    BProudOfU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't let this stop you or get you down. Instead, use this as your motivation to better yourself. In the end, looking to food and minimum exercise will bring you down even worse. Instead, use this as a time to do something good for you. Focus on you for awhile, and show her what she's missing. :)

I completely agree! Keep doing what you know is right. Take care of yourself.
  • MaximM
    MaximM Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your break up! Relation****S can suck sometimes. :)

My advice would be to turn exercise into your de-stresser and mood lifter. Believe it or not, exercising can really make you feel better when life seems to be getting you down.

Also, use the break up as motivation to get ur booty back in shape and make her regret ever breaking up with you!

Hang in there! In time, things will get better
  • texasmagz
    texasmagz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Change your weekly weight loss goal to "maintain" for a couple of weeks so you won't have as much pressure while you work through this. When you get to the angry stage, and you will, remember that the best revenge is being healthy and happy without her. Then you'll be ready to get back to it.
  • meryllb
    meryllb Posts: 28
    Options
    make your own pizza! use a whole wheat tortilla as crust, use salsa for tomato sauce, use low-fat cheese, and top away with veggies! drizzle with olive oil and choice of spices (i like basil) and bake! comes out super crunchy and soo good (and guilt free!)
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you to calm down, don't let it bother you, and move on quickly. Don't do that. Let it feel how it feels. It sucks, but you have to let it hurt or it not to hurt, know what I mean? Sorry to hear that, just start to move on--slowly.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Its probably not too emotionally healthy, but I've always been a fan of the "gonna-look-so-good-you'll-regret-breaking-up-with-me" tactic. The "now-that-I'm-single-I-have-to-look-good-to-attract-someone-better" can also be quite helpful.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry you're going through this, but the healthy choices you are making are for yourself and not for her. If she was your original motivation for losing weight, you have to change that now to losing weight for your own health and happiness. You may have started three days ago but that's three days further and healthier than you were before and three days that will be wasted if you throw in the towel now. Good luck!
  • Pleasedaspunch
    Options
    I know how hard a break up can be...but right now don't let it ruin your progress do this for you :) One of the things that pushed me to start this journey was a rejection...get in shape and show her what's she's missing. You CAN do this....if you do something to help with the crappy feelings do what the others said something productive. Not to mention when you exercise you get the happpy chemicals (endorphins) pumping. Good luck mate :)
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Think of it this way as hard as it may be...You just lost 150 pounds (or what ever she weighed) Now it's time for you. Don't look back as hard as it is not to. You have the rest of your life in front of you..You can do this. Get a dog, borrow a dog, go to the shelter and volunteer and walk theres. Just keep busy. You are worth it.. apparently she wasn't.