Wtf is wrong with my body?

Options
Okay I realise I'm overweight and need to lose some serious pounds but I can't help but think my body isn't normal? I will upload photos below. I'm 5'10, and currently 86kg. I'm guessing I need to lose around 40 to 50lbs. My upper body seems to hold hardly any fat, then as you get lower to my hips and lower stomach, boom it's like just an endless layer of fat. I have some serious love handles that I'm deeply unhappy about and have no idea whether this is normal for a dude or if I have some hormonal imbalance or whether it's just genetic. Can this body be changed? I'm hating it right now.

Replies

• davidjonesbbforum
    davidjonesbbforum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looks like a normal body to me... Not sure where the issue is. 40 to 50 lbs lost would be quite extreme for your height - you'd definitely be in the underweight category.

I'd suggest some strength training to firm things up and maybe a couple pounds weight loss if you'd like but no where near 40-50lbs.

I want to cut down to 10% body fat. I think I have at least 30 to 50 pounds to lose to get there. Sorry if I mislead you all, I guess I described my issues wrong. What I mean is that I feel the shape of my body is not manly. It kind of looks like a pear shape, you can see this in the 3rd and 4th photo.
  • davidjonesbbforum
    Options
    You body chooses to store fat in those locations. Lift heavy for you, eat at the right caloric number for you, and you can modify that look.

I am doing so but I keep suffering with persistent hamstring strain/soreness. When I do stiff leg deadlift, jesus the next death my legs feel like death.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You body chooses to store fat in those locations. Lift heavy for you, eat at the right caloric number for you, and you can modify that look.

I am doing so but I keep suffering with persistent hamstring strain/soreness. When I do stiff leg deadlift, jesus the next death my legs feel like death.

Are you sure it's strain and not just DOMS? My glutes and hammy's are killing me today after hip circle goblet squats yesterday, but it isn't damage.

If it's actual injury, don't do that exercise. Sub it out for something else.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You are another person seeing yourself incorrectly. Its super common, exercise, get some muscles, and after maintaining it a bit your mind will catch up.

Though, most people will always find flaws in themselves that don't actually exist.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP, set your profile to male...if you are a male...then at least you'll get a calorie goal that's in line with your gender. Women get fewer calories.
  • davidjonesbbforum
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Looks like a normal body to me... Not sure where the issue is. 40 to 50 lbs lost would be quite extreme for your height - you'd definitely be in the underweight category.

I'd suggest some strength training to firm things up and maybe a couple pounds weight loss if you'd like but no where near 40-50lbs.

I want to cut down to 10% body fat. I think I have at least 30 to 50 pounds to lose to get there. Sorry if I mislead you all, I guess I described my issues wrong. What I mean is that I feel the shape of my body is not manly. It kind of looks like a pear shape, you can see this in the 3rd and 4th photo.

I feel like I am going to get flamed for this but here goes.

If you do not stop and work on building muscle at some point, you aren't going to look any more manly, or what I am guessing you view as manly, than you do now. You will be rail thin and emaciated. You will not have much in the way of muscle definition because you simply do not have much in the way of muscle.

What are you doing, lifting-wise, other than stiff-leg deadlifts?

Are you saying that my plan to drop to 15 to 10% body fat is flawed because the end result will be bad? I realise I am not very muscly, but I do have big arms/biceps and muscly legs, it's just my body that is *kitten*. My plan was to drop this fat then work on building muscle as if I focus on building muscle now, I will build muscle but add some fat too which isn't what I want. Can anyone estimate my current body fat percentage? How many pounds do you think I need to lose.

I do barbell squats, barbell row, bench press, overhead press as well as stiff leg deadlift.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Op, the locations the body stores fat are primarily determined by age, sex, and hormones. Where your body has chosen to stash the most fat is where it thinks that it should!

One thing to remember is that waist size is the best determinant of risk for developing diabetes, so it's good that you noticed that you store fat there.

The next time you are at your doctor's office, you may want to bring a note to remind yourself to ask some questions about it!
  • davidjonesbbforum
    Options

I feel like I am going to get flamed for this but here goes.

If you do not stop and work on building muscle at some point, you aren't going to look any more manly, or what I am guessing you view as manly, than you do now. You will be rail thin and emaciated. You will not have much in the way of muscle definition because you simply do not have much in the way of muscle.

What are you doing, lifting-wise, other than stiff-leg deadlifts?

Are you saying that my plan to drop to 15 to 10% body fat is flawed because the end result will be bad? I realise I am not very muscly, but I do have big arms/biceps and muscly legs, it's just my body that is *kitten*. My plan was to drop this fat then work on building muscle as if I focus on building muscle now, I will build muscle but add some fat too which isn't what I want. Can anyone estimate my current body fat percentage? How many pounds do you think I need to lose.

I do barbell squats, barbell row, bench press, overhead press as well as stiff leg deadlift.

I'm saying that 10-15% body fat on somebody with a solid muscle base looks very different than 10-15% on somebody without a solid muscle base. Eat in a moderate deficit while lifting, being sure to get sufficient protein. This will allow you to retain the muscle you do have and you will be able to build some muscle along the way. It will be a reduced amount compared to eating at/above maintenance but it is *some*, and retaining/building muscle improves body composition, which is your ultimate goal.

So I should aim to lose like a pound a week and eat like 1800 calories a day and just keep lifting? For what it's worth I don't expect to lose this weight and look great, it's my first cut.
  • davidjonesbbforum
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Those pictures really don't show much of anything.

But, you don't look abnormal. You just look like a guy that got overweight and doesn't work out.

You seem to have a number of misconceptions regarding muscle and fat and how to lose/gain them. You need to focus on muscle NOW, so you don't lose (much of) what you currently have. You may be able to gain a little, but you definitely won't want to lose what's there, because it's not like muscle is easily built. That doesn't mean eating in a surplus - it just means to incorporate full-body strength training while losing weight/fat.

Pick one of these programs - preferably a beginner one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

And do it.

I am lifting, I want to lose some bodyfat/pounds while maintaining as much muscle as possible. Then I want to eat in a surplus and gain muscle. I thought this was generally what you have to do or am I misinformed.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Get on a lifting program now. Work out the calorie needs with a small deficit. I'm 5'11" and in my profile pic I'm around 184lbs (83.6kg). I cannot fathom trying to get down to around 140lbs at our height.
    Consistency is key. Just keep lifting and your body composition WILL change.
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cutting to eliminate the fat and then eating at maintenance or a bit higher while bulking is a solid strategy. I'm doing the same. I've added some muscle while dropping weight, but I still have too much fat for it to be noticeable. If I drop another 40 lbs, the muscle gain will be much more visible.