Wtf is wrong with my body?

Options

Replies

• davidjonesbbforum
    davidjonesbbforum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone. So you all don't think there is any issue with my hips? They look pretty wide.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Looks like a normal body to me... Not sure where the issue is. 40 to 50 lbs lost would be quite extreme for your height - you'd definitely be in the underweight category.

I'd suggest some strength training to firm things up and maybe a couple pounds weight loss if you'd like but no where near 40-50lbs.

I want to cut down to 10% body fat. I think I have at least 30 to 50 pounds to lose to get there. Sorry if I mislead you all, I guess I described my issues wrong. What I mean is that I feel the shape of my body is not manly. It kind of looks like a pear shape, you can see this in the 3rd and 4th photo.

I feel like I am going to get flamed for this but here goes.

If you do not stop and work on building muscle at some point, you aren't going to look any more manly, or what I am guessing you view as manly, than you do now. You will be rail thin and emaciated. You will not have much in the way of muscle definition because you simply do not have much in the way of muscle.

What are you doing, lifting-wise, other than stiff-leg deadlifts?

Are you saying that my plan to drop to 15 to 10% body fat is flawed because the end result will be bad? I realise I am not very muscly, but I do have big arms/biceps and muscly legs, it's just my body that is *kitten*. My plan was to drop this fat then work on building muscle as if I focus on building muscle now, I will build muscle but add some fat too which isn't what I want. Can anyone estimate my current body fat percentage? How many pounds do you think I need to lose.

I do barbell squats, barbell row, bench press, overhead press as well as stiff leg deadlift.

I'm saying that 10-15% body fat on somebody with a solid muscle base looks very different than 10-15% on somebody without a solid muscle base. Eat in a moderate deficit while lifting, being sure to get sufficient protein. This will allow you to retain the muscle you do have and you will be able to build some muscle along the way. It will be a reduced amount compared to eating at/above maintenance but it is *some*, and retaining/building muscle improves body composition, which is your ultimate goal.

So I should aim to lose like a pound a week and eat like 1800 calories a day and just keep lifting? For what it's worth I don't expect to lose this weight and look great, it's my first cut.

Yes. Just like nearly everybody else--moderate deficit and resistance exercise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You have a guy waist. I say more arm exercises.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my stomach use to look like yours (minus the hair and add some tits lol).
    I gained a bunch of weight after starting a desk job.
    All of my weight seems to go to my belly, love handles, and thighs (pretty common).

Depending on how you lose the fat, you may not have to lose as much as you think.
    I dropped about 20 lbs and thankfully most of it came off my belly!
    I'm trying to drop about 5 lbs more and then re-evaluate.

I eat what I want and don't restrict any foods.
    I do limit my portions and log what I eat before I eat it to make sure my plan for the day is to eat under my calorie limit.

• pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    All I see in the pictures is extra body weight and low lean muscle mass.

Its not abnormal to carry extra body weight predominantly in the lower torso ... its actually pretty common. This "pot belly" or apple shape is due primarily to a build up of visceral fat.

Mid 20's ( guestimate since not provided ) male @ 5'10" healthy range is considered to be 129-174 lbs. @ 189 lbs, that would put you at ~ 15lbs over the range max, around 26-28% BMI. Normal is considered to be between 18.5-24.9%. Depending on body composition, you could probably safely lose the 40 lbs your looking to. Id be less concerned about exactly how much to lose, and more concerned about getting back into your healthy range.

You would probably be best served ( and get the quickest initial results ) from eating at a deficit, with good protein levels and a full body strength training routine, to preserve as much muscle as possible while you drop back into your healthy range. It is possible to gain some mass while in a deficit, for those that are untrained or after a long hiatus. You are right that to add significant mass you'll likely need to be on a surplus.
  • davidjonesbbforum
    Options
    Okay it's OT but is it normal that as a guy I can't do more than one pull up or five push ups? I can lift heavy weight but can't do 10 push ups? When I try to, my whole body kind of trembles/shakes and I just fail lol.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Okay it's OT but is it normal that as a guy I can't do more than one pull up or five push ups? I can lift heavy weight but can't do 10 push ups? When I try to, my whole body kind of trembles/shakes and I just fail lol.

I can't say as a guy but as a woman I can do five push-ups. I don't heavy lift.

However, we all have naturally stronger/weaker parts of the body.

If you don't work out at all, and your arms are your natural weak spot, then probably it's not totally nutty that you can't do five push-ups...I am getting a visual from the scene in Stripes, LOL...but, yeah.

If you start working out, make sure not to neglect your arms...well, it's kind of hard to neglect them anyway, especially if you choose "guy-centric" style workouts, but you'll get stronger, especially if that's your goal and you put forth the extra effort. It's up to you, though.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

if you want to be able to do more push ups you kind of just have to do more push ups. you know what i mean? you have to train for it specifically. same with pull ups, which, btw, are super hard. for me anyway. but when i was practicing them i got better. but if i try to get better at doing pull ups by doing squats, that's not gonna work.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    From what you just showed... nothing wrong. Work on core exercises. That will help tone your midsection.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How do I say this. You are not alone. My upper body and legs hold very little fat, it all accumulates around my waist and handlebars, too. Now I am down nearly 50 lbs, and while it came from all over, my waist is still a problem area. Heck if I could get rid of that I think to myself some days that I would be soo set, but I am kidding myself.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What I mean is that I feel the shape of my body is not manly.

If you are a man, and you are that shape, it is "manly." Don't let the barrage of images you see in media push you to unrealistic or unsafe expectations. Do you want to look "manly" for you or for other people? If it's for other people, that may not be the best way to start on this journey.

By all means, change your fitness and shape if you want to, just don't see it as a "failure" if you don't end up with 8% body fat and hypertrophied muscles and a 6 pack. If you lift progressively heavier weights and make some diet changes you will see results on the pounds you could lose safely. (Which is no where near 50 in my opinion).
  • davidjonesbbforum
    edited November 2017
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I don't know, OP, I don't know why you'd see your body as unmanly. That definitely looks like a male body to me. Just being soft doesn't mean no longer man-shaped. I think you're being pretty self-critical. I am not seeing what you're seeing.

I mean there are men who are downright obese but you can still tell they're men...right? Extra fat doesn't mean you look like a woman; a woman-shape does not equate to an overly fat shape. :)

People do come in all sorts of shapes, that's a given, but when I clicked the images my neocortex stupidly and reactively said, "itisadude."

Just the hips/love handles. I rarely see guys with them. Usually I see guys with like a beer belly but never love handles! You see how my body starts to go outwards near the hips, that is what I hate. I guess I'm just worried that I may have a hormonal issue.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I don't know, OP, I don't know why you'd see your body as unmanly. That definitely looks like a male body to me. Just being soft doesn't mean no longer man-shaped. I think you're being pretty self-critical. I am not seeing what you're seeing.

I mean there are men who are downright obese but you can still tell they're men...right? Extra fat doesn't mean you look like a woman; a woman-shape does not equate to an overly fat shape. :)

People do come in all sorts of shapes, that's a given, but when I clicked the images my neocortex stupidly and reactively said, "itisadude."

Just the hips/love handles. I rarely see guys with them. Usually I see guys with like a beer belly but never love handles! I guess I'm just worried that I may have a hormonal issue.

You're kidding. I see loads of guys with love handles. It's very common. I even see overweight (male) children with them. In fact, as far as overweight kids go, I probably see a lot more of this on the boys than the girls. The girls seem to get a belly. Just my observations in my locale.

No, love handles are not uncommon on men who have put on a little bit of weight.

I doubt it's a hormonal issue, so to speak, but if you're really concerned you can always ask your doctor.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

Just the hips/love handles. I rarely see guys with them. Usually I see guys with like a beer belly but never love handles! You see how my body starts to go outwards near the hips, that is what I hate. I guess I'm just worried that I may have a hormonal issue.

The only person who can tell you if you have a hormonal problem is a doctor. But I will say that you might benefit from talking to a therapist as well, because you're giving off a lot of self-hate, and take it from someone who knows first-hand, hating your body is no way to live. It's trite, but you really do only get the one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    ...and stay off Doctor Google!!

You look fine, @davidjonesbbforum

A few months of lifting some heavy stuff and putting it down, maybe a run a couple times a week and you'll be smokin'.

I don't know how old you are, but it's common to have confusing thoughts about a new "man" body if you are in your late teens/early twenties. No longer the little skinny kid, suddenly the world has changed.

You'll be fine. Get some exercise and it will drop right off.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options

You aren't looking hard enough! There are plenty of men with love handles. I don't see anything that looks effeminate about your photos. That's a man in them, no matter what. And you aren't even that big. From your description I was expecting something very different!
  • davidjonesbbforum
    Options
    Thanks for the sound advice people, you have made me feel at least somewhat better about myself. I am not the strongest of guys, I had to originally start with dumbbells, but have recently purchased a power rack, barbell and weights and a bench. Is it okay to continue with just lifting the Olympic barbell or should I add weights to it ASAP? I say this because I really struggle with the overhead press and can't imagine myself doing it with weights added to the bar.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sound advice people, you have made me feel at least somewhat better about myself. I am not the strongest of guys, I had to originally start with dumbbells, but have recently purchased a power rack, barbell and weights and a bench. Is it okay to continue with just lifting the Olympic barbell or should I add weights to it ASAP? I say this because I really struggle with the overhead press and can't imagine myself doing it with weights added to the bar.

If you have the time, read through this thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

It's long but there is a lot of good info in it and will give you a better idea of what you need to do. You can also ask for specifics in that thread.

Something I need to do :)