Discouraged

Options
I’ve been doing the ketogenic diet and I lost a few pounds but then somehow gained a little back! I should be in heavy ketosis as my carb intake is under 20grams a day but it’s only showing trace to small. What is going on? Am I doing something wrong? I don’t want to give up but I’m very discouraged!

Replies

• sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the keto diet for health reasons? And do you use a food scale? Opening your diary might help us see what's going on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    What do you mean
    I should be in heavy ketosis as my carb intake is under 20grams a day but it’s only showing trace to small

? You mean on the keto sticks there is doubt about ketosis? How do you know the grams of your carbs?

And yeah, if you're not staying under your calories, you won't lose weight after that first water loss in the first few days.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking calories at all? And if so, are you in a calorie deficit?
  • bizzzzybee
    bizzzzybee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yeah like everyone else said, you gotta remember calories matter.. you can eat however you want, but if you are consuming too many calories, nothing's going to change..
    also, weight fluctuates throughout the day.. you can go up 3 or 4 pounds just after eating one meal.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Well I certainly would not recommend a ketotic diet, they are rather extreme and uneccessary...but if you are committed to following that course of action as people have stated the factor that matters for weight loss is still calories, not whether or not you are in a ketotic state.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    how many CALORIES are you eating. are you weighing everything on a food scale?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When you say you "gained a little back" what does that mean? Our weight is not static. Scale weight fluctuates depending on the amount of water you have in your body at that moment. Hormones can also cause scale fluctuations without fat gain.

Wednesday I was 177.2
    Thursday I was 177.2 - I thought this was actually weird. I am rarely the exact same weight two days in a row.
    Today I am 177.4 - my muscles are sore and retaining water from my new exercise routine. Not fat gain. Zero worries.

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Wow Aaron, good info; thanks.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 Thanks again for another excellent post.

One thing that I've seen thrown around is the idea that 1g of carb = 1g of glycogen = ~5g of weight. Is the relationship between carbs and glycogen that linear? And I understand it is the net carbs consumed vs used up, but I've just seen it in a couple places and wondered.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To sum it up:
    1. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, regardless of what diet you're doing. Tighten up your logging to make sure you aren't overeating.
    2. Weight loss is not linear. Expect to gain a bit sometimes even if you're in a calorie deficit. These are just normal fluctuations.
    3. Keto does not mean you get to eat however much you want of the allowed foods. Some people like this diet because it feels easier to them hunger-wise and such, but it's not necessary for weight loss and it does not follow different laws of physics from any other diet in the world. You still need to keep your calories in check.
  • dannyeburke
    dannyeburke Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I personally do enjoy and see the benefits of the Ketogenic diet. Both my wife an I are on it. My wife has pcos, and they recommend the "little" carb intake for people with that. Here is a link to a Dr. I follow on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123) who is all for keto. I like his content because he also pushes people to eat vegetables, while a lot of other keto people only push you to eat fat. Also please remember calories do count, even on keto. The benefit of keto with calorie counting is that you will be more satiated since the card/sugar count is low. Hope this helps! You got this!!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I personally do enjoy and see the benefits of the Ketogenic diet. Both my wife an I are on it. My wife has pcos, and they recommend the "little" carb intake for people with that. Here is a link to a Dr. I follow on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123) who is all for keto. I like his content because he also pushes people to eat vegetables, while a lot of other keto people only push you to eat fat. Also please remember calories do count, even on keto. The benefit of keto with calorie counting is that you will be more satiated since the card/sugar count is low. Hope this helps! You got this!!!

Yeah this is accurate. Potential issues aside with ketone bodies and utilizing that particular metabolic path long term most people find fats/proteins more satiating than carbs so ketogenic diets have the "benefit" that it is actually quite difficult to eat too many calories if all your calories are fats and proteins because you will feel very full before you hit that point. But yeah, calories still matter and you should still track them.

It is personal preference though. If you (OP) find you struggle with a ketogenic diet there is no need for you to do a ketogenic diet, try something else.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight four years ago on keto but ballooned back up as soon as I had a “normal” diet. I am dieting again but this time have included some carbs and nothing to excess. It is working and I feel much healthier. This is now more like a lifestyle rather than a diet. It has been slower to lose the weight than previously but that is partly due to difficulty with exercise and new meds. Aaron’s post really rang bells with me and should be pinned.