Not Eating Enough

kayleedaoust91
kayleedaoust91 Posts: 9 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I will try to keep it brief haha.
Basically, I am trying to lose weight. About 40lbs. And, after a lot of research, I have decided carbs are the culprit to half of my weight problems haha (First problem, I have no self control with carbs. Second, eating high carbs kills my weight loss I am finding).
So, I’ve been really trying to eat a higher protein amount and lessen my carbs. I went through a week of withdrawal but I’ve been doing a lot better in keeping my carbs to not be over half of caloric intake like it normally is.

Issue is, I’m finding I cannot for the life of me eat enough calories now. I’m finding I am way too full eating higher protein sources and not eating carbs. That might be weird. But even today, I’m eating less than half of the daily calories and am far too full to consider eating more. Today I am at like 500 calories so a bit too too low, usually I can force myself to eat 800-900 though.

How the crap do I continue to keep eating a low carb diet and actually eat the 1,200 calories a day? Because eating under 1000 a day cannot be healthy even if it would lead to faster weight loss haha.

Replies

• batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    There are a lot of gimmicks, and programs trying to make money, and you might have fallen victim by reading some bad information.

Weight loss is calories in vs calories out. Period. Anyone who frets about counting carbs/sugar/etc is just doing extra work or has a medical issue. Unless you have something like diabetes, then all you need to do is simply count calories and the weight WILL come off.

Weight loss is NOT linear, so just because you changed your diet for one week/month and saw better weight loss with more/less carbs - it means nothing. Even sticking to the exact same diet you will see drastic weight loss differences from week to week. (From 0 pounds to 5 pounds in my case). All that matters is you see an average of 1-2 pounds/week over a long period.

For the record, high protein diets make me eat about 800-1000 calories a day as well. I have to eat extra at night even though I am not hungry, but I'd rather eat when i'm full than starve throughout the day. I'm still losing at a "unhealthy" rate of 3.2-3.5 pounds/week so apparently I need to eat even more.

Stop worry about where the calories come from, and just count them.

• kayleedaoust91
    I may have to get a scale haha. I usually just do basic math in my head for solids (if a package of 4 chicken breast weighs x and I ate 2, then blank is the total weight I ate). I use measuring cups and spoons for the rest.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited November 2017
    Basically, I am trying to lose weight. About 40lbs. And, after a lot of research, I have decided carbs are the culprit to half of my weight problems haha (First problem, I have no self control with carbs. Second, eating high carbs kills my weight loss I am finding).
    So, I’ve been really trying to eat a higher protein amount and lessen my carbs. I went through a week of withdrawal but I’ve been doing a lot better in keeping my carbs to not be over half of caloric intake like it normally is.

Issue is, I’m finding I cannot for the life of me eat enough calories now. I’m finding I am way too full eating higher protein sources and not eating carbs. That might be weird. But even today, I’m eating less than half of the daily calories and am far too full to consider eating more.

How the crap do I continue to keep eating a low carb diet and actually eat the 1,200 calories a day? Because eating under 1000 a day cannot be healthy even if it would lead to faster weight loss haha.

Agreed that eating under 1000 is not healthy. Typically, if you are lowering your carbs, you could either up your protein or up your fats. Those are the three main macros. If you lower one, raise one or both of the others.. If you need to get more calories in, up your fat. They're 9 calories per gram of fat where it's 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein.
  • kayleedaoust91
    The only reason I am doing low carb, I should have mentioned, is my doctor recommended it.
    Side note, I went on birth control and saw a 30lb increase in my weight on that alone (how does one gain 30lbs in 6 months with no other damn thing changing outside of starting the pill? Apparently, not the pills problem according to the doctor). So they asked me to log everything in an attempt to lose the weight since my blood work all came back normal.
    After 1 month, no reasonable change outside of a 2lb loss over the course of the month. So now I am ending week 2 of his recommendation of changing to low carb and I saw 3lbs overall at the end of this 2 weeks. This is the first week I feel like I can’t eat enough though so I don’t really want not being able to eat enough calories to be the main culprit in my weight loss . And since I can’t go off the pill for other reasons , I kind of have to accept the lifestyle change haha.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Nope get a scale you would be very surprised at servings sizes when actually weighed out.

If your gonna go higher protein then why not look into KETO which is higher protein/fats and limits carbs and no sugars. Most carbs I believe comes from veggies on KETO.

Question is, is this something you can maintain long term?
  • kayleedaoust91
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    Nope get a scale you would be very surprised at servings sizes when actually weighed out.

If your gonna go higher protein then why not look into KETO which is higher protein/fats and limits carbs and no sugars. Most carbs I believe comes from veggies on KETO.

Honestly, Outside of my obsession with potatoes and fruit, I’m not finding it that difficult so far. Mind you, it’s only been 2 weeks. I do miss potatoes and fruit smoothies but I guess everything in moderation right? I have been looking at Keto a bit but I will have to do more research. :)
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2017
    The only reason I am doing low carb, I should have mentioned, is my doctor recommended it.
    Side note, I went on birth control and saw a 30lb increase in my weight on that alone (how does one gain 30lbs in 6 months with no other damn thing changing outside of starting the pill? Apparently, not the pills problem according to the doctor). So they asked me to log everything in an attempt to lose the weight since my blood work all came back normal.
    After 1 month, no reasonable change outside of a 2lb loss over the course of the month. So now I am ending week 2 of his recommendation of changing to low carb and I saw 3lbs overall at the end of this 2 weeks. This is the first week I feel like I can’t eat enough though so I don’t really want not being able to eat enough calories to be the main culprit in my weight loss . And since I can’t go off the pill for other reasons , I kind of have to accept the lifestyle change haha.

Usually the reason people gain weight from the birth control pill is because it can increase appetite. Really only 5lbs (give or take) can be contributed to the pill itself. Have you been screened for any other health concerns such as your thyroid?

Edit: I just saw you mentioned your normal blood work so you must've screened for other issues. My mistake!
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member

FYI. KETO is not higher protein. In fact, it's much lower than you would think. Atkins I believe was the one with higher protein. But that's neither here nor there.
    OP. Get a food scale and weigh out your food. You're probably eating more than you think. There's really no point for you to go low carb unless 1. You want to try it out and think it will fit your lifestyle and will help you lose weight by eating less calories than you're burning (i.e. the main way to lose weight). or 2. you're diabetic.
  • kayleedaoust91
    maura_tasi wrote: »

Usually the reason people gain weight from the birth control pill is because it can increase appetite. Really only 5lbs (give or take) can be contributed to the pill itself. Have you been screened for any other health concerns such as your thyroid?

I have had blood work twice. Nothing abnormal, nothing outside of the regular realm of where it is supposed to be. I saw less of a weight gain quitting smoking last year than I did on birth control haha! I haven’t noticed increased appetite. I have always been a person who survives off coffee all day and has a single larger meal at night. Never much of a snacker. Nothing seemed to have changed there except now forcing myself to do two-three meals a day haha.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    It's only been a little bit over a week? (Am I reading that correctly?)

Wait another week...see if that hunger doesn't come back. ;)

In the meantime, if you're feeling fine, aren't dizzy, are in general good health, etc...I can't see worrying just yet. That's just my take (and my experience with VLC and initial appetite suppression).
  • kayleedaoust91
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    It's only been a little bit over a week? (Am I reading that correctly?)

Wait another week...see if that hunger doesn't come back. ;)

In the meantime, if you're feeling fine, aren't dizzy, are in general good health, etc...I can't see worrying just yet. That's just my take (and my experience with VLC and initial appetite suppression).

I’m ending week 2 technically but this is the first real week where I’ve been successful (never realized how many carbs are in half the things I used to eat Haha). I feel totally fine so i will give it a bit more time and hopefully my appetite comes back :) in the meal time, off to look at amazon for a food scale haha
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017

Issue is, I’m finding I cannot for the life of me eat enough calories now. I’m finding I am way too full eating higher protein sources and not eating carbs. That might be weird. But even today, I’m eating less than half of the daily calories and am far too full to consider eating more. Today I am at like 500 calories so a bit too too low, usually I can force myself to eat 800-900 though.

The point of eating more protein is because protein is more satiating (filling) than carbohydrates. One eats more protein in order to stave off hunger so one can eat fewer overall calories while feeling satiated. So not surprising if you went to a diet that was mostly protein that it would be very difficult to eat enough. It seems to me like you just took this too far. Solution is pretty simple, just eat less protein so you are a bit hungry then load up with more carbs to get more calories to hit your calorie target. Problem solved, just find that balance point.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member

FYI. KETO is not higher protein. In fact, it's much lower than you would think. Atkins I believe was the one with higher protein. But that's neither here nor there.

As written by the person who created the plan, Atkins is not higher protein. It has always been moderate protein beyond the initial two weeks, if you actually take the time to complete the entire process. You know...something only the very minority of people ever do.

"Keto" is nothing but the Induction Phase of Atkins repackaged for a new generation of dieters.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Peanut Butter