Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    What's everyone's opinion on the Slim Fast shakes?

They are very low in protein which is what keeps you full and high in sugar which keeps the weight on. Pick up a jug of protein powder, a water bottle or neat little shaker bottle (they have a little sifter-like ball in them to help mixing) and milk or soy milk and ta da, much cheaper, just as simple and much better for you.

I recently made the switch to soy milk (veganism) and it is sooo much creamier than cows milk and less calories, 70-80 cals per cup compared to 110 for 1%. Not only that, carbs are sooooooooooooo much better! 7-8g in soy milk vs 25-28 in cows milk.
  • amnesiak
    Options
    I didn't see anyone mention UltraMeal, which is actually DESIGNED as a meal replacement (a lot of these are not). I actually got mine from my N.D., so I'd say they're super high-quality and very effective. I actually don't 'eat' them that often.
  • KristaWeiss
    KristaWeiss Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a Sam's Club, get the Premiere protein drinks. They are in vanilla or chocolate and they are fantastic!!! No grit or funky after taste, 160 cal and 30g of protein. If you can't get to a Sam's then google Unjury protein powder. I mix that with milk and ice for a shake and it's also fantastic, no grit and cal/protein will depend on the milk used and how many scoops. I'm super picky about these and I swear by them.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Just look for ones under 200 calories, 25 grams or more of protein and little or no sugar and fat.

I also do the Premier Protein, chocolate, 160 calories, 30 grams of protein, 3g fat, 1g sugar.

READ THE LABELS!!!!!

Best of Luck!
  • Lambert9
    Options
    Go for a protein shake rather than Slim Fast, Ensure Etc. Those "diet" drinks have little protein (which is what keeps you full) and lots of sugar.

Also, when it comes to protein it should have about 80% protein in it to be a good product. That is NOT to say that it must be a $90 jug from GNC. The best one I found (taste, price, low/no carb/sugar and protein quantity) was a store brand, Healthy Planet. For $34.99 (sometimes on sale for $29) I get 5 lbs which consist of 0 sugar, 2g carbs, 26g protein and it's delicious! My protein powder is therefore 79% protein which is excellent. More expensive brands I looked at had as low as 67%, booo! :)

Although I do agree with you on the protein filling you up longer and the benefits of the protein. I also agree on the low/no sugar, I do not agree on the low/no carb. That is were the meal replacement is just that a meal replacement. One needs carbs especially if they are working out hard. Your body needs carbs to function! A low/no carb protein shake is great for after a work out to promote that lean muscle! Just sayin!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like Designer Whey ~ I LOVE it with either skim or almond milk. Keeps me full for a long time!
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Although I distribute it as a Beachbody coach, this is not a sales pitch. I personally drink Shakeology, daily, and have for over a year. 150 calories, 15 grams of protein, 70+ vitamins and nutrients. It is intended to be a vitamin-enriched protein shake, which can be used as "meal replacement" but seriously the healthiest thing you're going to put in your body in a day. If you want or need more information, let me know. Rules prohibit me from putting more on here. Happy to chat with you offline about it.

Good luck!
  • janetj518
    Options
    Syntha 6 Protein Powder is pretty good. 1 scoop in 8oz water and shake. Vanilla, so far, is the best. Chocolate, not so good.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I go with the Myoplex Lite for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. This compliments my other three meals. The protein with moderate carbs is helpful for energy levels and taking me into my afternoon workout.
  • mislmar
    mislmar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use slim fast twice a day and really like it I use one for breakfast and one for lunch usually. It helps keep me on track right now and I have lost 24 lbs in about 3 months. Later as I lose more weight I will transition over to regular meals just low cal and low fat but not yet. Seems to keep me pretty full until lunch time and I also use the slim fast bars because they are low cal and low fat. Hope this helps!!
  • McMamma38
    Options
    I use slim fast twice a day and really like it I use one for breakfast and one for lunch usually. It helps keep me on track right now and I have lost 24 lbs in about 3 months. Later as I lose more weight I will transition over to regular meals just low cal and low fat but not yet. Seems to keep me pretty full until lunch time and I also use the slim fast bars because they are low cal and low fat. Hope this helps!!

I'm using them too--have lost 60 pounds since May 8th.So it's working great for me.

My favs are the chocolate royale,french vanilla & the capaccino flovors.Did not care for the strawberry.Also tried and am liking the Low Carn Slimfast version--higher protien too.

Another fantastic meal repalcement shake is the Atkin's Advantage ones! LOVE the vanilla,so creamy.These are high in protein and only 2 net carbs.

I also have tried and liked the Pure Protien ones too.

I buy mine at either BJ's or Sam's Club.

Can also highly recoment Atkin's daybreak snack bars--again high in protien and low on the glycemic index.Not bad on calories either.