Working Around Holidays,Christmas

Options
How do I work around holidays & Christmas through my weight loss goals. The past 2 years has not been good for me in these times of year.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You have two options if you don't want to derail your efforts completely.

Maintain your deficit (but perhaps feel restricted as you won't fit a lot of calorie dense foods in), or eat at maintenance. You could look at your weekly calories, eat less on non "holiday" days to give yourself leeway on days where there's lots of food. Try to get more active - perhaps go for walks with your family or friends.

If you have to contribute food, take dishes that are less calorie rich (vegetable/fruit based, lower fat/lower sugar etc, )
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't turn the entire season into a free-for-all. If you know there are parties you are attending, plan ahead. As she said above, follow your weekly calorie goal or aim for maintenance. You also have a better advantage that you're going into the summer months and can be more active outside, unlike those of us in good old 'Murica.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You have to realize that it is a lifestyle change. Holidays should not interfere so much as to derail all your progress-- Don't fall into the trap of not logging because you are unsure of the calories. Keep track and log everything- take pictures. I take a quick pic of a little appetizer plate with multiple items for example. I know this seems tedious but, it has worked for me. I could eat and eat - so just going by hunger or desire will not cut it for me. Also, before you go out to an event- have an apple, a hard boiled egg, some filling snack and water--- this should cut temptation down somewhat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How do I not let holidays & Christmas set me back of my weight loss goal.
    You have two options if you don't want to derail your efforts completely.

Maintain your deficit (but perhaps feel restricted as you won't fit a lot of calorie dense foods in), or eat at maintenance. You could look at your weekly calories, eat less on non "holiday" days to give yourself leeway on days where there's lots of food. Try to get more active - perhaps go for walks with your family or friends.

If you have to contribute food, take dishes that are less calorie rich (vegetable/fruit based, lower fat/lower sugar etc, )

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You "not let (any day) set (you) back of (your) weight loss goal" the same way you don't let any other day set you back of your weight loss goal. As you've been told repeatedly in your discussions, consume fewer calories than you burn.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Not eating is always an option. Took me a while to figure that out. Go, enjoy friends and family. But eat when you get home from the party.

Long trips are harder, you just have to set a plan before. I already have my week away from home planned and logged here. So I know exactly what I will be eating walking in the door.
    Sure it is not set in stone, but will give me a good guide line to shoot for next week. I can modify it as needed but it's the same thing as meal planning at home.
  • RomaO0501
    RomaO0501 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness my current meal plan includes most of our thanksgiving menu. Turkey, sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts. Since i’m the cook I can make these foods the way my family enjoys them at the holiday and a cleaner version seperately for me! That way I won’t feel deprived.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Realize that none of these foods are super rare. You could have pie, chocolates or green bean casserole every day if you wanted.
    Plan your eating. A lot of people have the same foods every year for holidays. If you don't know what is in a dish ask for the recipe or look up a recipe for that food and use it to estimate calories.
    Stick to your calorie deficit or eat at maintenance. You don't have to overeat every day from now until January.
    Eat or drink less. Get one plate with reasonable portions.
    Be picky. Eat the things you really like, not just things that are there.
    Freeze, give away or throw away excess.
    Choose more lower calorie food options. More vegetables, less breads, cookies, cheese.
    Watch your drink calories. Choose more low/zero calorie drinks.
    Bring food you feel comfortable eating to gatherings.
    If you are cooking use less oil or butter. Use lower fat dairy products. Don't throw nuts or sugar on everything.
    Stay active. Exercise regularly. Sit less. Sign up for a holiday 5k.
    Be the person who helps clean up or plays with the kids instead of lurking around the food table or watching tv.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. Although I've lost most of the weight I wanted to, 10lb or so always creeps back on around the holiday season and then it's a pain to lose again because I'm so close to goal. I always say to myself 'it's just a few days, enjoy Christmas Day and Boxing Day and New Year's, then eat at a deficit the rest of the time'. It never works out. I end up meeting with friends, going to parties... three events turns into five or six events and before I know it I'm overeating every day just because the food is there and 'I should treat myself, it's Christmas'. This year I'm determined not to let that happen! (And yes, I say that every year, too...)
    My advice is... do as I say, not as I do. Over Christmas you might have two or three different events. Christmas parties, the day itself, New Year's, Boxing Day in certain countries, get togethers with family... you need to decide which of these it's worth breaking deficit for. You might decide only Christmas day is worth it. So enjoy the day, then get back on the wagon the next day. Don't use the festive period as an excuse to overeat every day. If a Christmas party isn't worth overeating for, don't do it. Eat a few things, overestimate their calories if you don't know, and keep at the weightloss. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A handful of celebratory feast days isn't going to set you back...treating the entire 2 months as some reason to go off the rails will.

Thanksgiving is one day...Christmas is one day...

For me this is the key. I give myself a pass on Thanksgiving and Christmas the actual days. Oh and New Years Day too. But everything else has to fit into my calories. We usually do New Years Eve at home and I'll eat a little lighter during the day so I can have a drink and some snacks later.

I also use the desire to have a little more calorie wiggle room as motivation to keep to my activity/exercise schedule, rather than let it slack off like I used to.
  • siobhanaalmann
    siobhanaalmann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Another strategy is to eat healthier holiday food (sweet potatoes vs. regular potatoes, roasted turkey vs. fried turkey) beforehand so that you're not hungry when you arrive to the dinner/potluck and less tempted to eat everything in sight.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Another strategy is to eat healthier holiday food (sweet potatoes vs. regular potatoes, roasted turkey vs. fried turkey) beforehand so that you're not hungry when you arrive to the dinner/potluck and less tempted to eat everything in sight.

Curious as to how sweet potato is a healthier choice to normal potato?

I struggle with the concept of "eat before you go". If I eat beforehand that means I have less calories to spend on food where I'm going. Tempting holiday food is not going to be less tempting because I ate earlier in the day! I'd rather save myself til I got to where I was going and know that I could enjoy food, and fit it in to my goals more easily.

YES!! I do the same because I'd rather eat some of my favourite foods by fitting them into my goals over not having the room to eat them because I ate beforehand.