I'm here and planning to stay

Options
I'm a little late in introducing myself, having joined MFP back in September - but better late than never, as they say.

As someone who has struggled with excess weight for most of her adult life, I'm now in the position of having to take this very seriously, because it is drastically impacting my mobility and quality of life.

I was diagnosed with chronic bilateral osteoarthritis (both knees) in January 2014, and even though I was in a little pain, I chose to ignore the physio's warnings about staying away from high impact, aerobic exercise and I continued to dance high-paced salsa on a regular basis. Now, this lifestyle has finally caught up and I've been told I need knee replacements. But, rather than give in, I decided that there was one more thing I had under my control to perhaps put a hold on this - LOSE SERIOUS WEIGHT and take the additional strain off my joints.

But here's the thing .... I don't live a normal life like most people. For the past 6.5 years, I've been living and working on military bases in Afghanistan.

Anyone who has ever deployed into such an environment will understand when I say that the living conditions and eating facilities are not ideal if you want to follow a super-healthy, cook your own meals lifestyle. I don't have cooking facilities, so I have to rely on the few DFACs (dining facilities) on the base, and their main menu structure is based around high energy eating for the military. Basically, I have to eat what is available - very limited choices of fresh fruit and vegetables, lots of high carb foods and absolutely no control over how these foods are cooked.

So now I have a choice, focus on the negative and resign myself to operations and re-couperation over the next 12-18 months, or, work with what I have and find a way to get the job done. I chose the latter.

On September 11th 2017, my boss told me about myfitnesspal.com and with his encouragement, I started to re-assess what I needed to stop eating and record everything that was better for me. He also is a serious gym fanatic and he has been working with me in that area too, advising me of the best ways to start exercising slowly and which types of activities would be easier for my knees. I forgot to mention that he has had two knee replacements himself and knows exactly what I'm going through and how important diet and exercise are for me.

To date, I have lost 11.9 kilos and I'm doing daily treadmill (starting the exercise bike tonight) and my motivation is high, despite the fact I have such limited food sources. I record everything that I eat and drink - and not every day is perfect, but I work really hard to keep on track and I'm pleased with my efforts so far.

My apologies if this post is a tad on the long side .... I usually don't write posts, but I have the feeling that there could be a good support system here, so I'm hoping to make new friends.

Thanks for reading xx

33584938.png

Replies

• orkla
    orkla Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Joined today! And planning on staying.
  • lizasalsera
    lizasalsera Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    orkla wrote: »
    Joined today! And planning on staying.

Well done for taking that first step :smiley:

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Good for you @lizasalsera ! What did work to get 11.9 kilos off is what does work. Just stay on top of your logging and the truth will overcome all kilocalories, and joules, and horsepower hours.
  • lizasalsera
    Options
    Good for you @lizasalsera ! What did work to get 11.9 kilos off is what does work. Just stay on top of your logging and the truth will overcome all kilocalories, and joules, and horsepower hours.

Thank you. MFP has really motivated me and I feel that now is the time to make this work

• chuck6w
    chuck6w Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great job on your loss so far and taking steps in the right direction.
  • lizasalsera
    Options
    chuck6w wrote: »
    Great job on your loss so far and taking steps in the right direction.

Thank you very much :smile:
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late in introducing myself, having joined MFP back in September - but better late than never, as they say.

As someone who has struggled with excess weight for most of her adult life, I'm now in the position of having to take this very seriously, because it is drastically impacting my mobility and quality of life.

I was diagnosed with chronic bilateral osteoarthritis (both knees) in January 2014, and even though I was in a little pain, I chose to ignore the physio's warnings about staying away from high impact, aerobic exercise and I continued to dance high-paced salsa on a regular basis. Now, this lifestyle has finally caught up and I've been told I need knee replacements. But, rather than give in, I decided that there was one more thing I had under my control to perhaps put a hold on this - LOSE SERIOUS WEIGHT and take the additional strain off my joints.

But here's the thing .... I don't live a normal life like most people. For the past 6.5 years, I've been living and working on military bases in Afghanistan.

Anyone who has ever deployed into such an environment will understand when I say that the living conditions and eating facilities are not ideal if you want to follow a super-healthy, cook your own meals lifestyle. I don't have cooking facilities, so I have to rely on the few DFACs (dining facilities) on the base, and their main menu structure is based around high energy eating for the military. Basically, I have to eat what is available - very limited choices of fresh fruit and vegetables, lots of high carb foods and absolutely no control over how these foods are cooked.

So now I have a choice, focus on the negative and resign myself to operations and re-couperation over the next 12-18 months, or, work with what I have and find a way to get the job done. I chose the latter.

On September 11th 2017, my boss told me about myfitnesspal.com and with his encouragement, I started to re-assess what I needed to stop eating and record everything that was better for me. He also is a serious gym fanatic and he has been working with me in that area too, advising me of the best ways to start exercising slowly and which types of activities would be easier for my knees. I forgot to mention that he has had two knee replacements himself and knows exactly what I'm going through and how important diet and exercise are for me.

To date, I have lost 11.9 kilos and I'm doing daily treadmill (starting the exercise bike tonight) and my motivation is high, despite the fact I have such limited food sources. I record everything that I eat and drink - and not every day is perfect, but I work really hard to keep on track and I'm pleased with my efforts so far.

My apologies if this post is a tad on the long side .... I usually don't write posts, but I have the feeling that there could be a good support system here, so I'm hoping to make new friends.

Thanks for reading xx

33584938.png

Good for you!! I bet you feel better about yourself as well.. I know I do.. Feel free to add me if you need motivation..
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @lizasalsera Welcome to MFP and 'well done' on your progress and commitment.

You have a great attitude: So now I have a choice, focus on the negative and resign myself to operations and re-couperation over the next 12-18 months, or, work with what I have and find a way to get the job done. I chose the latter.

This is a very supportive community - people on this forum are so willing to share their experience, tips, advice, etc.
  • kg30fit
    kg30fit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done Liza on your positivity! Hope I can take some of that with me on my journey too! I’ve just joined today - Good luck!
  • lizasalsera
    Options

Good for you!! I bet you feel better about yourself as well.. I know I do.. Feel free to add me if you need motivation..

Thank you - still a way to go yet, but the mini goals are working so far
  • lizasalsera
    Options
    @lizasalsera Welcome to MFP and 'well done' on your progress and commitment.

You have a great attitude: So now I have a choice, focus on the negative and resign myself to operations and re-couperation over the next 12-18 months, or, work with what I have and find a way to get the job done. I chose the latter.

This is a very supportive community - people on this forum are so willing to share their experience, tips, advice, etc.

Appreciate your kind comments - I hope to get a lot of positive feelings here and hopefully, can return them too :-)
  • lizasalsera
    Options
    kg30fit wrote: »
    Well done Liza on your positivity! Hope I can take some of that with me on my journey too! I’ve just joined today - Good luck!

And welcome to you too - I'm sure you've already taken the biggest step, joining this site. All the best with your future results. Hope we can support each other
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend if you like. Always glad to provide a little support and encouragement. As others have noted, this is a great community.
  • lizasalsera
    Options
    Add me as a friend if you like. Always glad to provide a little support and encouragement. As others have noted, this is a great community.

Thank you
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I sent a friend request. I am so glad you have you bosses support for the proper exercises for you knee condition.

I am really sad about your food condition. I have a lot of personal reasons for being worried about food control.

Hopefully they can modify for you somewhat or at least let you have smaller portions with apples or carrots as fillers, with lots of vitamins.
  • lizasalsera
    Options
    Numer1ca wrote: »
    I sent a friend request. I am so glad you have you bosses support for the proper exercises for you knee condition.

I am really sad about your food condition. I have a lot of personal reasons for being worried about food control.

Hopefully they can modify for you somewhat or at least let you have smaller portions with apples or carrots as fillers, with lots of vitamins.

Hi there - thank you for your kind words.

I invested in a Fitbit a while back, so my boss is currently working with me to help me figure out the best treadmill and bike settings and timings so that I can get the best possible cardio and fat burn exercises going that won't aggravate, but strengthen my knee areas. Based on the few trials I've done, I think we're almost there.

With regards DFAC eating, unfortunately, it is what it is - lots of high carbs and a small number of set menus to choose from daily. What we eat and the portion sizes are down to us to select. The hot meals tend to be full of peppers and chilli flakes - so if your stomach doesn't agree with burning spices (such as mine), then that immediately reduces your choices. The vegetables (salads) are cut up and prepared the night before, refrigerated and displayed out in the open air for three sittings a day, usually for at least 3 hours at a time - all the nutrients I'm sure are lost by then and they are tasteless. Perishable fruit that is supplied is the usual bog standard apples and oranges, along with tinned fruit in syrup - and believe me, after more than 6.5 years having been out here, you aren't so inclined to eat your five a day.

There is no mechanism to buy your own fresh fruit and vegetables here - it's a bit dangerous to try that.

But ... and here is the but .... I've used all of the above as excuses for the past years and the only person it has hurt is me, so I'm figuring it out :-)