Conquering PMS nutrition and fitness help needed

Options
How can I conquer my PMS symptoms with exercise and nutrition? I'm finding it hard to exercise because I am so fatigued and achey. I like walking but I want to do more. How can I gain more energy and stamina, especially during my period? I've been eating healthy and drinking whey protein shakes and staying hydrated. Nothing is working! Anybody have any advice?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    How are you energy levels the rest of the month? If normal, then maybe just take it easy when you're having PMS symptoms. Sometimes our bodies just need rest. Or a walk.

Not sure what to suggest regarding the nutrition part but I'm sure others here will have ideas for you.
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, it's a toughie! Am finding the more weight I lose the easier TOM is becoming but I still get crampy, bloated & tired....

Best way I've found to combat it is to just get on & workout. It really does help my bad cramps & boosts my energy. Sure, it's hard(sometimes nigh on impossible!) to get going, but I do it & I'm always glad I pushed myself because I feel better for it every time.
    I also take a magnesium supplement on the run up/during & this definitely helps me too.
    Most importantly though, I pinpointed that I personally feel most tired on day one, so I make time to nap or go to bed earlier. If I don't, I feel like I'm just dragging myself through the week listlessly & it's just false economy to fight it!

Hope you find something that works for you, even if it means a Doctor's visit. It's a super irritating blip in the month. Best of luck :)
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It may not be great advice, but i just suck it up and push through my symptoms. My pms can hang around for up to a week and I tend to have a very bad TOM, so taking it easy or taking the week off could throw me off totally. It's getting easier to do that as time goes on. And I'm noticing that my pms is getting slightly better. I'd have to think it's from diet and exercise. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance for 2 or 3 days every month and usually just walk during those days.
  • smmsosf
    smmsosf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand your struggles; I have been in the same boat for the longest time. I was recently diagnosed with endometriosis and my OBGYN started me on a gluten free, refined-sugar free, and dairy free diet. Wait, before you say it, I know it sounds hard. I won't lie to you, it is. I have to be very consciencious of what I'm eating and making sure my diet is still balanced that I am getting proper nutrition. BUT I feel better. I do not have the lethargy and fatigue I would experience around my periods and I feel genuinely healthier. If you would like to know more message me and we can chat more.
  • LittleBeanMachine
    LittleBeanMachine Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you everyone for being so helpful! What I'm gathering really helped me with some ideas as I don't like the thought of throwing off my fitness schedule, progress and journey.
    I usually have more energy the rest of the month, but on that dreaded 4th week I suffer badly. I'm finding comfort in knowing I'm not alone! It's time for my woman wellness check next month so I plan on asking my doctor about my periods worsening over age. Maybe she can help! So thank you for the suggestions that I may need to consult her! I never thought to ask!
    I am proud to announce I ended up forcing myself to take a walk and some strength training. I feel better than I did this morning! I also found showers and a little rest post exercise helped me too. I feel much better than I did this morning!
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So pleased you feel a wee bit better! It's so difficult to find solutions to these things sometimes because everyone really IS different & what works for one may worsen another.

Agree things can get worse with age. I never had PMS at all up until I was about 32. Doctor said it can happen if you don't have children (I don't), but then one of my pals (same age) who has a little one is in exactly the same boat as me....
    Same thing can be said for hunger in different people. The week before I am ravenous & have to factor in a couple of hundred extra calories a day. When TOM comes, I go back to normal but know other lassies who are super hungry during or even the week after.

Hope you continue to find ways to ease your symptoms :smile:

• smmsosf
    smmsosf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LittleBeanMachine I'm glad that you are feeling a tiny bit better. :smiley: Keep your head up because it is a struggle but it is really worth it. Good luck with your doctor; I hope she is able to help. God bless you!
  • rchelen
    rchelen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can relate ugh! I've been giving in to my cravings this month. All the bad carb and sugary food! I was doing so well up until pms! And zero energy to workout :( I'm sorry I'm no help.