Getting all my protein

Options
I am currently attending university and am eating a lot of chicken breast. I am trying to consume around 200 g of protein but am having a hard time reaching it consistently. Any tips of getting the protein, other than chicken, eggs, and whey?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Why are you aiming for such a high amount? 0.8-1g per lb of ideal weight is plenty.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    200g sounds like a lot of protein - how did you determine that amount?

I rarely eat chicken, or whey, with most of my intake coming from seafood, eggs (whole and whites), dairy (low fat yoghurt, milk, cheese), grains/legumes. I also get some from the vegies and nuts I eat...
    There's also many other meats you could eat - beef, pork, lamb, turkey, kangaroo, bison, venison etc. Crocodile is pretty nice if you can get it.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So, 200g of protein can be had from merely 22.6 ounces of chicken breast daily. This doesn't actually sound too difficult, just very tiring and boring.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of protein.

How did you decide on that amount?
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Avoiding the question why so much protein, I'll ask why just chicken? There are lots of meats out there besides chicken. I try to choose a different meat/poultry/seafood every dinner for at least a week, otherwise I'd get bored stiff. If it is fat you are worried about, try extra lean 98% beef or lean cuts of steak. I eat a lot of turkey products because they are lower in calories like turkey sausage for breakfast or I mix ground turkey with lean ground beef for patties. Check out different kinds of fish (some come individually wrapped and easy to grill) which can range from low fat to higher good fats. Shrimp is good..I love scallops, crab, & lobster but more expensive...imitation crab not bad. Beans and lentils are cheap, easy and good sources of protein. Like others have said, dairy products add some protein. I pick grains likes cereals and breads that contain higher protein levels. Quinoa of course, if you cook it right. I like to snack on beef jerky or nuts when I'm low on protein. Its rare for me to ever resort to supplementing real food with an unnatural protein powder. I'd rather crack an egg.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

It's not a terrible amount. I'm a 5'5" female.
    Using the previously posted formula of .8-1 g per ideal body weight I shoul dbe eating 120-150 g a day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »

It's not a terrible amount. I'm a 5'5" female.
    Using the previously posted formula of .8-1 g per ideal body weight I shoul dbe eating 120-150 g a day.

I'm 5ft 5 too - my calculated intake is about 100-130g at my current weight. I go with 130 as I'm quite lean....

Thats a long way off 200g though. There is nothing wrong with high protein imo, but when the OP is struggling, simply reducing the amount may make their life easier.
  • svf8528
    svf8528 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not the OP, but I'm also aiming for around 200g of protein each day. I got that goal from IIFYM. My ideal weight is around 170, so that's slightly less than 1.2g/ideal weight.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You only really need that much protein if your trying to gain a lot of muscle. Remember IIFYM was started by body builders so they would eat lots of protein. If you are just trying to cut (lose weight) then lower protein, lower carbs, and increase your healthy fat intake.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    You only really need that much protein if your trying to gain a lot of muscle. Remember IIFYM was started by body builders so they would eat lots of protein. If you are just trying to cut (lose weight) then lower protein, lower carbs, and increase your healthy fat intake.

Or.... Just eat less calories, ensuring you get sufficient protein and fat. Sufficient protein is probably more important in a deficit as it helps with muscle retention.