Replies

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Also nice included in a mixed grain porridge for breakfast
  • Alamobabe
    Alamobabe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa, I cook a huge batch and keep it it the fridge. I will add it so salads, stir fry, sometimes add diced cucumber, tom, red onion, balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle feta cheese in. Or Roast a pan of veggies, anything, peppers, butternut squash, zucchini, broccoli, sweet potato, red onion, garlic drizzle olive oil. After veggies are done mix in quinoa in a bowl. Yum, O love to add feta and balsamic, lemon to it too.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like it in soups or in chili.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have only eaten it at home..I know if I cook over 15 minutes it is not good (turns too soft) .. otherwise I add salt and pepper and cook in broth if I have it on hand. ImakeA big batch to eat on a few days..adding butter or cheese when I heat it up along with veggies and protein
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I like it, and haven't noticed a significant difference between it at restaurants or it at home.

This. I know some people aren't fans of the texture, but I think it's a really nice change from rice (with more protein, of course.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and genuinely love the taste.

Can't cook it to save my life.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Boil it for 5 or so minutes let it cool, rinse it, add your seasonings, and cook according to the directions. It gets a bit softer and absorbs your seasonings better. It's bit like cooking dry beans, in my opinion.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't eat quinoa on principle, the majority of quinoa is produced in Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru by small family farms. Their land is being degraded by farmers favoring intensive quinoa monoculture over traditional crop rotation. Growers are also less-inclined to leave nutrient-poor soil fallow to regenerate.
    Land that once ran llamas used to fertilize soil has also been given over to quinoa, causing farmers to rely on chemical fertilizers.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I tried quinoa but it wreaked havoc on my IBS as the coating consists of a bitter compound called saponin. You're meant to rinse it off before cooking it but my tummy doesn't like it or the high fibre in the actual grain.