1,200 Calories

Options
What would you guys recommend for a 1,200 calorie a day diet for weight loss.
Breakfast Lunch and dinner etc.

Replies

• PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No, that's really not enough for a woman to eat :-1:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1600 a day and have lost weight doing so and Im female. 1200 is the MINIMUM for women,
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    *kitten* me and that 1200 calories crap...seriously...I also blame mfp for pushing 1200 calories crap to most women.

1200 is the MINIMUM that a female should take in if they are very short,sedentary,elderly or a combo of the 3. most women can get away with more calories but some think they cant lose weight unless they eat the minimum or think thats what you need to lose weight,while many also will eat the lowest they can to lose as fast as they can not knowing the repercussions of eating so little.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since it appears no one looked, the OP is actually a female. She just has a different profile pic.

OP, 1200 may or may not be right for you it would just depend on what your stats are and your workout plan. If you are not very overweight or active, you'd want to consume more calories.

But in response to your main question, you should look at a lot of volume foods; lean proteins, low sugar fruits, low GI veggies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most women who are average height or less (or even higher than average if not obese) get 1200 if they choose 2 lb and sedentary (as their maintenance is not more than 2200 when sedentary). Most of these women are not sedentary and in any case should not be regularly eating 1200 as they should be eating exercise calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    OP, if 1200 is right for you, it really depends on how you like to distribute your calories. I did 1250 for a while (until I realized it was too low -- I was losing about 3 lb/week), and ate around 300 cal at breakfast (2 egg omelet with lots of vegetables), around 400 at lunch (often a big salad with protein on it, maybe with some fruit or greek yogurt or cottage cheese), and a 550 cal dinner (lean meat, lots and lots of vegetables, starchy side). I varied this so it would not get boring, but I think realizing I had more calories to play with in reality really helped me not get into a rut.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My recommendation before exercise is 1,280. That's a lb a week. I'm still "overweight" by the WHO BMI scale, so a lb a week is a good rate of loss. Most days I exercise and eat 1,500, but I can't work out seven days a week.

And it must be fine. 85 days in, 18lbs lost. Energy is great. My mood is wonderful. I don't feel deprived. Rate of loss is appropriate. I've got all my hair. My skin is healthy.

Anyways, if you are going to eat for one lb of fat loss a week or more, please heed this advice- You must eat nutritionally dense food to avoid not meeting your nutritional goals. You have less calories to get your nutrients with, so don't go and blow all those calories on cake and ice cream and then wonder why you feel cruddy after a few weeks.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited November 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Since it appears no one looked, the OP is actually a female. She just has a different profile pic.

OP, 1200 may or may not be right for you it would just depend on what your stats are and your workout plan. If you are not very overweight or active, you'd want to consume more calories.

But in response to your main question, you should look at a lot of volume foods; lean proteins, low sugar fruits, low GI veggies.

last time I looked I could have sworn it stated male but if female I agree on it may be ok depending on stats
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    1200 is a very uncomfortable number of calories to eat - but if you do even a modest amount of exercise you can earn 400 calories which will make life much better. Even at 1600 you need to mostly eat nutrition dense food, or you won't meet your nutritional needs. I also take an iron supplement, as I was becoming anemic.

1200 is three 400 calorie meals, or 1 larger meal, a tiny meal, and a snack.

1600 will get you two full sized 500 calorie meals, a smaller meal, and a snack. Everyone is different but I prefer to eat a big 500 calorie breakfast, a reasonable 500 calorie lunch, a couple of hundred calories of snacks, and a very small dinner. You can just absolutely pig out on 500 calories for breakfast - yesterday I had steel cut oats with milk, walnuts, and apples, two eggs, two slices of bacon, and some cottage cheese. 500 calories of lunch or dinner looks like about 300 calories of protein and fat, plus 200 of vegetables. The protein might be a chicken thigh, small tenderloin steak, several slices of pork loin, or a fillet of fish. Plus half a cup of legumes and some green vegetables.
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1700..
  • EsmeMary101
    EsmeMary101 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 since last March. I usually manage between 1100 and 1300. It's not easy but it is doable. If u send me a friend request ull see my diary.