ROTATOR CUFF SURGERY - KEEP UP THE MUSCLE TONE

Options
I tore my left rotator cuff recently and is so torn that it needs surgery. I cannot weight train my shoulders as it is right now. I've worked hard to gain the muscle tone that I have now at 53 years old. This is a MUST surgery and I know it will take me a few months to recuperate. I'm so afraid to lose the tone that I have but if it happens, so be it. Is it possible to build that tone at my age after the rehabilitation and all that comes with that surgery? I'll post a picture of the tone I have gotten so far. d711wtsdn0bj.jpeg

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you don't have "tone" - you have built muscle!! you look great and yes, after your surgery and recovery you can totally build up that muscle again!
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between tone and muscle????
    you don't have "tone" - you have built muscle!! you look great and yes, after your surgery and recovery you can totally build up that muscle again!

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    "tone" is usually a word people use to describe low body fat and muscle revealed underneath....its usually used by women who don't understand that to have that "toned" look you need to build muscle...it goes back to the myth that women are afraid that by looking at a weight they will grow huge and bulky.

like I said ,you look great and after your recovery will be able to get back to that point or beyond - just dont push it sooner than allowed by doctors or you'll end up setting yourself back further.
  • Schila64
    Options
    Thanks... very appreciated..
    "tone" is usually a word people use to describe low body fat and muscle revealed underneath....its usually used by women who don't understand that to have that "toned" look you need to build muscle...it goes back to the myth that women are afraid that by looking at a weight they will grow huge and bulky.

like I said ,you look great and after your recovery will be able to get back to that point or beyond - just dont push it sooner than allowed by doctors or you'll end up setting yourself back further.

• Schila64
    Options
    Oh yes . Two of the tendons have completely detached and have retracted . It al started with a bursitis per first doctor. He injected cortisone and suggested rest which I didn’t completely do. Then after almost a month I felt on the bathtub and hit myself on that shoulder . From there everything went down hill .
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Are you sure you really need surgery?

Can you just take enough time and heal up?

Have you gotten second opinions?

• Schila64
    Options
    Thanks for your encouraging words ..
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm sorry this has happened to you. You obviously have worked very hard. Don't try to rush recovery, follow instructions. Get into PT as soon as possible and be sure to let them know your ultimate goals. I have no doubt that you can rebuild your overall strength that you lose during this time as well as the specific shoulder affected. While I am nowhere near your level of fitness and conditioning, I have been able to build my own abilities from ZERO to respectable for my age group the past few years. I'm sure you can out do that. Just take care of yourself during this difficult time!

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Just to warn you it will probably take you 12-18 months to get back to previous levels of activity after a RTC repair so you can set your expectations correctly.
  • Schila64
    Options
    Thanks . I’ll need a lot of that
    sgt1372 wrote: »

The key to full recovery is to be PATIENT!!! It sounds like having patience may be be the most difficult part of recovery for you.

Good luck!

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    https://onhealth.com/content/1/rotator_cuff_injury

"If surgery is required, the recovery time is longer. The shoulder will need to be immobilized for four to six weeks, followed by physical therapy. Patients usually need to wait about three months before using the shoulder for light activities above shoulder height, and about six months to return to vigorous activities."
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    https://onhealth.com/content/1/rotator_cuff_injury

"If surgery is required, the recovery time is longer. The shoulder will need to be immobilized for four to six weeks, followed by physical therapy. Patients usually need to wait about three months before using the shoulder for light activities above shoulder height, and about six months to return to vigorous activities."

My experience (I know it varies by practitioner) was PT starting a couple days after surgery, immobilizer sling for 7-10 days 24/7 except when showering. I was about 3 months before light activity above the shoulder.
  • Schila64
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words . You have made my day :*
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I know nothing about shoulders, except mine often hurts when I bench press. But what I do know is that you are one of the most fit and stunning 53 year olds I’ve ever seen. I would have seriously guessed you were in your 20’s. Do your PT.

• Schila64
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your recommendations . My Doctor told me that after surgery I would have to wear a sling ( not sure if that is the name ) for 1 week . PT starts at one session per week and he said that due to my athletic condition I should recuperate very quick .
  • Schila64
    Options
    Will sure let them know that !!!!
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    After having several shoulder operations, I would offer this suggestion. Explain to the surgeon and the physical therapist that you would like to continue working out after your recovery. Also explain to the PT that you are willing to do extra work (without over-stressing the repair) to ensure optimum recovery. My PT told me that unfortunately many people do the bare minimum, if that much, of the prescribed rehab so unless they are working with an athlete or someone who steps up and tells them they are willing to do extra work, the rehab is dialed back a bit so people don't feel overwhelmed.