Snacking to make up calories

Options
So i've been at this for a month now, haven't lost much weight but I feel amazing. :happy: However, I have a question about how to make up the calories. I'm very precise when it comes to tracking my food and calculating its calories but I find that I'm always left with about 600 calories at the end of the day (after dinner). What's a good snack to make up for these calories?

Replies

• JolandaW
    JolandaW Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So i've been at this for a month now, haven't lost much weight but I feel amazing. :happy: However, I have a question about how to make up the calories. I'm very precise when it comes to tracking my food and calculating its calories but I find that I'm always left with about 600 calories at the end of the day (after dinner). What's a good snack to make up for these calories?
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    Cheesecake!!! That'd be my snack of choice. Failing that, I tend to have some dark chocolate and cheese on crackers with olives if I have that many cals left over. Whole wheat pita with hummus is a pretty healthy snack of around 200 cals.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

I LOVE ice-cream, so I try to save enough numbers every night to have a double serving of Edy's slow churned, no sugar added cookie dough, or fudge tracks. Sometimes, if I have LOTS of numbers, (like you seem to have) I throw in some M & M's too! YUM!
    You could always have some peanut butter, cheese, or nuts. They're high in calories, but really good for you! :smile:
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I always save my extra calories for dessert like edey bryers fat free ice cream, or even a low fat smoothie. Yummy!
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    Try and plan and eat you snack in the afternoon having too many carbs late at night can inhibit release of human growth hormone which is all related to weight loss and this gets released while you sleep and carbs cause more insulin and this is proven to inhibit these hormones.

Personally if you are looking to lose weight low fat cheese on wholegrain crackers (not proper cheese its evil soooo high in fat) a piece of chicken, make a healthy hummous dip and have carrots and celery dipped in it you can have loads of that, a handful of proper nuts not salted or roasted or some organic natural yoghurt with some blueberries or strawberries

Make it clean and healthy and once or twice a week a little naughty thats what I do.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    I sometimes like to eat cerreal (cheerios, fiber one, etc) to make up for those extra calories! That way I get calcium from the milk & fiber in the cereal while helping to cure a sweet tooth! Adding in a little fresh fruit like banana or blueberries is really good too!

Or I'll have 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on whole wheat toast.

Hope you got/get some good ideas! :drinker:
  • JolandaW
    JolandaW Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, this certainly helps! :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Nuts are high in calories but very healthy.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You could always add a serving of legumes to your meals that will take up some of the calories. Then for the leftover have fruits or nuts.
  • inkedcelticcross
    inkedcelticcross Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm having to plan out / anticipate my consumption early in the day so I am not left with half my calories after 6pm. A small amount of mixed nuts is about 170 calories per ounce (which use to be a small handful that I would consume many times over) and actually quite filling. On the sweet side, 3 pieces of Godiva chocolates is ONLY 200 calories (would have sworn twice that much) and then my all time favorite - ice cream. I save the ice cream (1 to 2 servings for my 8pm snack).
    Daytime is primarily raw fruit and vegetables.
    Hard not to consume worthless/wasted calories when you have a lot left over - which many times is eaten too late and possibly reverts back to bad eating habits.