Should I really believe that 45 mins of swimming

Options
Burns over 500cals?? Or is it working out as too much? I'm a bit concerned that's why I haven't lost as much this week, I've been doing 3 or 4 sessions of swimming rather than the gym so I'm wondering if the system has been overly generous! I'm eating most of my exercise cals most days.

Replies

• hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What stroke are you doing? Are you vigorously swimming or gently? I find when I swim I burn around 550 in an hour but I steam it and really feel it :-)
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    Thats probably right, swimming uses alot of muscles, I ran for half an hour the other day and it gave me over 900cal.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thats probably right, swimming uses alot of muscles, I ran for half an hour the other day and it gave me over 900cal.

Whoah, thats a lot of cals burned! I generally burn 300 in 1/2 hour of running!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

There is no way that is right.
  • Deevs
    Deevs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, your burn rate will differ from person to person depending on your body weight. Bigger bods will burn more cals than skinny minnies! As you lost weight, you will notice your burn rate reducing slightly.

x
  • etksauron
    Options

yeah, thats nearly impossible...i run at 5.5 for 30 and come it at around 530-550cal...
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Last time I swam I burned 508 calories doing 59mins of laps (measured with my HRM) - At that stage I weighed about 250 lbs (5'8)

As you are quite a bit slimmer than me it does sound a tad high...

Oh and I do agreee with Kate - I go pretty hard!!
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do breast stroke and go as fast as I can (which isn't particularly fast!) but I don't feel like I'm burning that many cals whereas if I run for 20mins on the treadmill I feel like I should be burning loads!
  • patrick323
    Options
    I think that's probably right! I do 30 min of fairly vigorous swimming a few times a week if possible. Often times I have to be VERY careful that i dont over do it. It's hard to gauge your energy expenditure when you're swimming. I burn a lot more than others because I have more to lose so mine is sometimes near double that.

The other day the water in our outdoor pool was probably 98 to 100 degrees due to the heat. i did 10 min breast stroke, 10 in freestyle, and 10 min back stroke. I felt find in the water but when I got out I was weak, trembling and ill. Some of that was dehydration dome of it was just working really hard....either leads me to believe it's a fairly accurate reading compared to how much I felt I've worked after other outdoor activities.

If it's hot out.....hydrate because you cant tell how much you sweat in a pool.
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    maybe I converted it wrong, I just looked at my diary and it was 50min of running tho not 30.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would say don't use the vigorous swimming option just go with leisurely swim to get a more accurate calorie burn number. I know it may feel vigorous to you, but I think they mean the kind of swimming a competitive swimmer would do when they are doing like 3 hours plus of training a day.
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    OK, I worked it out. I had converted the KPH to MPH wrong. It was actually 499cal for 50 mins
  • yoshi314
    yoshi314 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    remember that diet is much more important than exercise.

exercise helps you develop muscles, bump your calorie limit and speed up the metabolism. but it's the diet that influences how the body manages the calories it has left.

i didn't diet and exercised 5 times a week for 2 months at swimming pool (45 minute sessions). i only lost 2kg in 2 months. that was a major letdown for me.

now i took on a diet (keto) and i go for a swim 3 times per week. i've lost nearly ~9kg in 2 months so far doing this routine. i also calculate my meals to have at least 500 calorie deficit every day.

i mostly do breaststroke. i use my arms leisurely, but i use my legs semi-vigorously. so it's a mixed kind of exercise.

i don't really do any other exercise. sometimes i do some crunches or push ups, but i didn't turn it into a routine yet.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I would say don't use the vigorous swimming option just go with leisurely swim to get a more accurate calorie burn number. I know it may feel vigorous to you, but I think they mean the kind of swimming a competitive swimmer would do when they are doing like 3 hours plus of training a day.

Ooooh that's more like it! Man that's where I've been going wrong all week then I'll have been eating over my cals!! I'll do that in future, thanks!
  • patrick323
    Options

Perhaps. But i think it's more likely that vigorous means effort expended for whatever time you input. You can leisurely swim for 3 hours or 3 minutes i suppose (do professional swimmers even come close to 3 solid hours of 'all out' effort??? Maybe in a full day's time!) or you can vigorously swim for 3 hours or 3 min.

According to a calorie expended minus calorie intake = calorie deficiency formula, and given that a certain deficiency typically results in a certain amount of fat burn; My numbers seem on par with my weight loss by listing my idea of vigorous with the vigorous option.

Keep i mind that a professional swimmer who is swimming for multiple hours a day is going to be a very fit person who will burn calories at a likely very low rate.