ideas on how to cook Brussels sprouts

Options
Any idea?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I roast them too. I use just olive oil or coconut oil and salt, after halving them.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I parboil them just to start the cooking process. Then I roast with grapeseed oil with salt and pepper at 400 for 20-30 min. Sometimes I throw a little balsamic glaze on them with blue cheese and bacon crumbles.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Roasting them is good, as others have mentioned. My personal favorite is in a pan. I slice them in half and put the cut side down into the pan with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever other spices (I looove a slightly spicy-smoky mix of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and cumin...or the South Africa mix from Trader Joes). I cook them until the face-down sides are a medium-dark brown. If they are a particularly large and the rounded sides aren't fully cooked, I flip them over and cook them another minute or two. Overall, I like them to be a bit al dente. Coconut oil instead of olive oil works well too.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    yup, halve them, coat lightly in olive oil, salt and pepper, bake on baking sheet at 400 for 20-25. can add garlic if you like.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, salt and pepper, butter, roast in oven. My favorite food!
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cut them in half and sautee with pancetta and olive oil. So yum!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to note that tasting Brussels sprouts as bitter is genetic - they've identified the gene. So if they taste nasty to you, don't bother cooking them seventeen different ways, it won't help. Some people can taste the chemical which makes them bitter and some can't.

Personally I love them, as does my mother, but my father and husband were both bitter tasters who hated them. I like them sautéed with butter and balsamic vinegar.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Another vote for the roasting camp. EVOO and whatever spices suit your fancy. I especially love all the crispy leaves that fall off and get super crunchy. 400 degrees for 20 minutes or less. Best if not overdone.

Another way that hasn't been mentioned is to eat them raw in a salad. If you have a food processor or mandoline to finely slice them, that's perfect. Otherwise just pulse them in a blender, or chop into small pieces with a chef's knife. Add craisins, pecans and a citrus vinaigrette. I've added brussels sprouts to all kinds of slaws combined with cabbage, apples, walnuts and various dressings. Yum!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1lmnzm.jpg

See. I'd do this.

And then toss the Brussels sprouts in the compost.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm asking the moderator to boot the brussel sprouts haters to the "cleanse" thread. :angry:

This is the thread to send them to

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy

I live there :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I love them just steamed, but for special occasions (where my son a bsprout hater is involved) I par boil the sprouts while frying some bacon in an iron frying pan, drain and dry the sprouts then dump in the pan with the bacon, grind pepper and grate orange zest over, stir, then roast. When done squeeze orange juice over, serve. Tasty.

Cheers, h.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm asking the moderator to boot the brussel sprouts haters to the "cleanse" thread. :angry:

This is the thread to send them to

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498878/looking-for-friends-who-dont-eat-clean-and-healthy

I live there :)

Wait, I like Brussels sprouts - does that mean I have to leave that thread?? :cry: Because I just posted about pie. Lemon meringue :yum:

ETA, agree with the majority that roasted sprouts with olive oil is delicious. Bacon is a close second, though.