How do you stay on track?

Options
Any tips on how to stay on track with healthier eating when the people around you arent on the same page?

Im 25 but living with family for the time being and something I've struggled with is trying to keep to a healthy diet when my family is constantly buying junk. I've tried to just be in charge of my own shopping/meal prep but my mother in particular has had a hard time of just letting me do my own thing.

I know a lot of it is willpower (just because she buys my favorite junk food or makes heavy meals doesn't mean I have to eat it.) But it's been hard logistically--I only have so much space to store groceries, and I'm competing for cooking space.

Any suggestions would be appreciated--how to work around eating differently from the rest of the household or how to keep motivation up regardless

Replies

• ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I live in a 225 sq foot apartment. It's really just a glorified bedroom, lol. I have a table setup with a crockpot, a small dorm fridge, and a toaster oven that sits on my filing cabinet. I also have a microwave oh and a blender I couldn't live without.

I do all of my cooking in my little apartment/room. If your room has some space maybe you could get a hot plate, toaster oven, small fridge, etc and turn your room into a micro apartment. That would give you some separation and maybe help it feel like it's ok to do your own thing.

Other than that I'd really look at ways to possibly move out - it's HARD to make changes around family for many reasons. But roommates don't usually care what/why you do what you do. Your health is very important and worth the sacrifice, if that's an option for you.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it is about you. For me I have to do a lot of planning, cooking and logging. It's a daily routine. My family eats "bad" food (lots of sweets/fatty foods) but I know I can't eat that stuff. I will balloon to 250 in a heart beat and coupled with depression it is a very very bad place to be in for me. I have to turn down those types of foods as they do nothing for my body. Dragging my *kitten* to the gym at 3 am on those lonely and cold nights is the hard part.

Plug your stats into MFP, eat at moderation and try to exercise. That's about it. In the end it is up to you. Good luck.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Willpower and a desire to succeed!
    Despite my husband knowing I'm taking an exercise class twice a week and trying to lose weight he still offers me chocolate, sweets, crisps and any other crap he's munching on - drives me mad lol
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried to get my mom to eat least cook and eat a little healthier but, her excuse was "I don't know how to cook any other way and I like what I eat." I have no support. She buys sodas (luckily her favorite is ones I hate). My thing is, she is constantly offering me junk food and food that will hinder my success for me. I cant just eat one cookie. It'll turn into a whole package. She just says "oh you'll be fine just eat it."
    When she cooks and eats, I stay in my room. I have my food in a seperatd area in the food and freezer and i eat at the same time everyday (at a different time from mom.) I just had to distance myself from her to work on my weightloss.
    (Even when i went vegetarian for a while in highschool, she would push meat in my face and be all sing song saying you know you want it. Rude.) I say distance your self. Go on walks. Cook at different times. Pick up more hobbies. Prepare meals for the week so you wont have to be in the kitchen as much.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    You could buy a mini-fridge for your room and fill it up with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Have a big plate of those and have a small plate of the heavy meals your mom cooks.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Try making small changes where you can, like having one piece of whatever instead of two, choosing the corn instead of fries, having some fruit instead of chocolate or dessert. Just try to take it day by day and log your food as best you can.
  • Zeuggma
    Zeuggma Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Make it a point to never have two "bad" or treat days in a row. Enjoy your time with your family and indulging, but never do it two days in a row.

Also, maybe ask them to hide foods from view that are "trigger" foods for you.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My adult son and his family live with me and since I buy groceries and cook they eat what I prepare, although definitely in different quantities. For instance I always cook a starch at dinner and eat 1/2 cup of it. My son eats 2-3 cups of it (he is thin and works in construction). They do go out and buy their own "junk foods" sometimes which I don't touch. I'll buy regular ice cream for him and low cal for my dil and me. I buy myself nuts or beef jerky for healthy snacks and he eats them. Those are things you can keep in your own space. Sounds like you'll have to pick and choose what you can eat that your mom cooks and try to talk her into letting you take over at least a few times a week (I personally love it when my kids cook and especially clean up afterwards-usually breakfast). Actually you can probably eat pretty much any food in small quantities and then supplement with more vegetables if you need. Keep something like beef jerky or deli meat on hand if you need to add in some quick protein that's missing. It might be harder and take more will power but you can do it. If you don't eat the junk your mom buys eventually she'll get the idea. Old habits die hard.
  • minstine
    minstine Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it's your own personal desire. You have to ask yourself every single time you see unhealthy food "do you really want this". My husband is 80 plus pounds overweight. And he wants to eat what he wants. I've only been 15 pounds overweight because of 3 kids. But this last 8 lbs annoys the daylight out of me. And Id rather feel and look good then eat a couple cookies. I actually buy the unhealthy stuff too! And cook it for my kids and husband! It's just a temptation but it goes away if you get used to saying no.