Weight loss/fitness when injured

Options
Hi all,
After several years of gradual weight gain I had reached 94kg at a height of 5ft 8, it was time to get into shape, so about 6 weeks ago I started on a fitness plan to get healthier and lose some weight.
I started really well- exercising 4 times a week, mainly strength and some HIIT at the gym also I started eating well and logging my progress with a daily calorie deficient of about 300 calories, after about a month I had come down to 90 kg and was feeling stronger and healthier. My body fat had reduced for 30 to 28%.
Unfortunately I've injured my intercostal muscle area on the left doing a leg press at the gym about 10 days ago, I've stopped exercising to rest it now, but it's not settling as yet. I've got a feeling it may take a few weeks because it's an arkward injury. I can do some light cardio but that's about it, I tried gentle swimming but that was a bit sore too.

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to keep moving in the right direction, it's frustrating that I've had to stop just as I was getting into the strength training and but so be it.

Any advice on exercising and losing fat while injuried would be really appreciated

Cheers

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'll give the "do as I say, not as I do" reply here..... while you take time off to recover, focus on your diet. You lose fat primarily with a calorie deficit, so increase your deficit by eating less to make up for the calories you aren't burning. You can also focus on your upper body lifts while your lower body recovers.
  • Cheekychin24
    Cheekychin24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    I will try
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the injury, but I agree with @MotherOfSharpei, your main focus should be on your calorie intake and healing. As long as you reduce your calorie intake you'll lose weight without exercise.

I'm recovering from a recent injury and it's been slow going. I can only do cardio right now (no lifting). For me, keeping my same schedule helps even if I can't do the same workouts. Just going to the gym when I normally would helps maintain good habits. My workout is different while I recover, but my routine is not. YMMV.
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    Walk, that's what I do. If possible at an incline, if not walk for time.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Any advice on exercising and losing fat while injured would be really appreciated

Muscle mass is built in the gym. Weight loss is done in the kitchen.
    While injured, adjust your calorie intake accordingly.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    As you are not exercising at the moment you will not have those extra calories to eat, just eat your MFP calories.

I would, if I were you, switch my setting to sedentary maintenance. While healing it is better to eat maintenance, or close to.

Cheers, h.
  • Cheekychin24
    Cheekychin24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for advice
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great thread this one as I'm about to have surgery on my shoulder ( Rotator Cuff Tear ) and I know the rehab will be long. I still can workout my lower body and cardio but no upper weight training for quite a while.