Busy Mom Busy Schedule

Options
I need help please I am a busy mommy to 2 handsome little boys but have no time to work out I need some advice on what can I do without using that excuse please I only have 1 day off of work and that day I do all my house chores but I want to be that mom that can go to park make a healthy dinner and get a workout after dinner a shower and in bed by 10pm

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I hike with my son on my back, sometimes with my daughter by my side too

Or i do things like 30 day shred while my sons asleep
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How far away do you work? Could you run or cycle there?
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wake up an hour or so earlier than you have to. I have a busy schedule too, but always make time to get it in
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started slow, got a watch that tracked my steps and just started increasing my walking (you’d be amazed at how much that alone can help). You don’t need to go to the gym every day to lose weight. Sometimes I race my 2 year old in the house so I can get extra steps, when I talk on the phone I paced the house, if I actually get to watch TV, I walk in place, when he naps I pace the house. Eventually all that paving motivated me to want to try running and now I’m get up at 5am and when my husband and son are still sleeping I head out for a run. Just start with small changes, it’ll eventually add up. Good luck!
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What is your schedule usually like? And what kind of workouts do you want to do or are you willing to do? I have an 11 month old son and always work out during one of his naps for a max of 30-45 minutes. You have to think about what is realistic for you and your family and lifestyle. Can you join a gym with a daycare? Can you hire a sitter for 1 hour/day so you can work out and shower? Is your husband willing to watch your sons while you work out? If not, one of the best options is going to be to wake up early before everyone else is up so you can fit it into your schedule
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I went with 30 minute Beachbody workouts at home. Sometimes I get up early and do it before the kids wake up. Sometimes it's after they go to bed. And sometimes it's while they are around and can see me making good choices. It's not uncommon to have to pause it to deal with a kid situation...but it's better than nothing at all.

Also, we're members at the YMCA and they have childcare included. The kids think it's fun to go while I workout. (Actually, my oldest is 12 now so he hits the treadmill while I'm doing a class or while his brother is at swimming lessons.)

Now that my boys are a little older (7 and 12), we're actually going to karate 2-3 times a week as a family.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I also have two young boys, busy with school and activities, and work a full time (desk) job. I get up at 5:30 to get in a workout in the morning, usually before everyone else in the house gets up. I also work in movement as much as I can during the day - taking walks during breaks and over lunch, when the weather is getting colder like now I try to just walk indoors as much as possible. I average 12-15K steps/day even with the desk job - but I find a good portion of that comes from chasing the kids around.

When it really gets cold, I utilize my YMCA membership and either take the kids to childcare there or try to fit it in before or after work - they would rather stay at their before/after school program than the childcare there.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I get up at 540am two days a week, go to the gym while my husband gets the kids up and fed. I get home at 730am, he leaves for work, I pick up the kids and head to work (I work at the kids' school).

My husband and I go to the gym on Saturday and Sunday mornings. The gym has daycare.
  • _ankylosaurus_
    _ankylosaurus_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:00 or 4:30 (depending on my planned workout). That gets me in the shower by 5:15 and dressed by the time I have to get the kids up. I work full time and am home by around 5:15-5:30. I batch cook on weekends and we do lots of bagged salads/precut veggies. It's hard, but doable.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:00 or 4:30 (depending on my planned workout). That gets me in the shower by 5:15 and dressed by the time I have to get the kids up. I work full time and am home by around 5:15-5:30. I batch cook on weekends and we do lots of bagged salads/precut veggies. It's hard, but doable.

This.
    I have given up watching TV at night. I wake up around 4.30am to get it done. I also sometimes will get a quick workout during lunch. I make a few meals for the week on Sunday.
  • prescottgal7
    prescottgal7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wake up an hour or so earlier than you have to. I have a busy schedule too, but always make time to get it in

I agree with this. 3 weeks ago I decided no more excuses. I wake up at 4:30 three mornings a week. I’m at CrossFit at 5. Back home by 6:15 to shower, get kids up for school and make lunches.

If I tried to work out after work it never happens. Kids practices, after work functions etc always derailed my workout plans.

Even if you plan to workout at home try waking up earlier to do it.

Best of luck to you!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I had little kids, I took fitness classes a few nights a week and did DVDs and went on my stationary bike otherwise. Do you have a husband or any help? A lunch break?

Can you train once during the week and once on the weekend?

I strongly discourage making exercise into Family Time. I know that some ppl like that, but I don't think you can properly concentrate on yourself that way. You certainly can't shower with 2 little kids going wild.
  • StarryEyed0
    StarryEyed0 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a mum of one and I either take my son out for a long walk in the pram or go when hes in nursery. Today though i did workout at home while he was taking a nap. I've found some good workout videos on YouTube!
  • KailaLaFlor
    KailaLaFlor Posts: 20 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've been doing 15-20 minutes with weights or resistance bands 3x a week or so right before bed. It's time efficient and it works for my goals of trying to not end up skinny fat, and building up some strength. Eventually I'll get some equipment to do some heavier weights, but this is good in the meantime.

I get a few walks in with my kids during the week, but I don't worry about cardio too much at this stage of life. I can do that when my kids are bigger and not so needy.