50% carbs 30% fat 20% protein - thoughts ?

Hi community ! I am soing the above macros and am having good inotial success ... bery excited to see the scales come down. Does the above seem sustainable long term? All carbs are healthy choices, paleo is followed and I fast each night from 6pm to 10am the next day. Anyone doing a similar thing? Appreciate you sharing your success stories or any advice. Have a great day! Feel free to add me.

Replies

• Beewhatever44
    Beewhatever44 Posts: 14 Member
    Sorry for the typos !!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFPs macros are fine.

or tweak if you desire... i work better with more fat personally.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    The only thing that matters for weight loss is having a calorie deficit. If those macros, paleo, and IF help you achieve that deficit, then good job!
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    I started at that and found I naturally was eating less carbs and more fat. I changed mine to 40/35/25 which seems good for me right now. I eat a very balanced diet. If anything I'd like to slightly lower my fats since I'm also high cholesterol/triglyceride and raise protein.
  • Beewhatever44
    Thank you all for taking the time to comment - i have more insight now - terrific !!!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    There is no universal split let alone one that is superior to all others for individual weight loss. Everyone has to find what works for them. What keeps you within your calculated daily caloric limits. What keeps you happy and moving forward without major stumbling blocks/obstacles.

My splits are vastly different from yours but that is because they are mine and work for me, and me alone. :smile:
  • Beewhatever44
    Thanks !!! Sustainability and what works for me is a fab tip
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Yeah that is perfectly sustainable (dependant on your actual food choices and total amount of calories of course, you still need basic nutrition).
  • Beewhatever44
    Yes it may be high but its all veges and low calories ( for me !). I will keep that in mind tho. Thanks for the tip poochie
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Are you doing much endurance sport? I run a lot, and MFP tells me I ate 53% carbs in the past 7 days, which I needed. Carbs give you easily accessible energy for endurance.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Hi community ! I am soing the above macros and am having good inotial success ... bery excited to see the scales come down. Does the above seem sustainable long term? All carbs are healthy choices, paleo is followed and I fast each night from 6pm to 10am the next day. Anyone doing a similar thing? Appreciate you sharing your success stories or any advice. Have a great day! Feel free to add me.

I am doing the ketogenic way of eating..20 carbs 20 protein 60% fat. Been on it for 15 dsys. So far so good. I think your total carbs at 50% may be a bit high..

It isn’t. Look at the blue zone countries who eat even more carbs than that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes it may be high but its all veges and low calories ( for me !). I will keep that in mind tho. Thanks for the tip poochie
    Don't keep it in mind - ignore it . Your total calorie intake is the only thing that regulates weight up and down. A balanced diet is important in order to be able to stick to appropriate calories, but that does not defy the need for appropriate calories. Because you need a balanced diet, you have to have different foods, with different nutritional profiles, in your diet. Fruit and vegetables and dairy and grains all provide different nutrients that you need, and they are yummy together, so you'll be more likely to stick to your diet.

Many people tend to think that there is a perfect diet somewhere, that the trick is to just find it, and that they can and should stick to it, even though it's hard. But that's not how it works. A diet can be "perfect" nutritionally, but if you don't stick to it, it won't work. It's the opposite - any diet that provides a calorie deficit, will "work", the question is whether you'll stick to it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Macros really should be based on grams per lb of lean body mass, not percentages. So what are your stats (height, weight, age) and how many calories are you eating? Are you also exercising?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    When I started MFP I was at a lower cal level (1250 -- I added 50 because I didn't want to get the red for eating a few calories over 1200), and so I thought 50-30-20 was too low in protein (62.5 g), given that I was trying to lose. I upped my protein to around 100 g, which came to between 30 and 35, and changed my macros to 40 (carbs)-30-30, which worked really well for me when I was losing (even when I started exercising more and realized I should be eating more calories). But it's really pretty individual.

So is meal timing, btw -- cool if eating only between 10 am and 6 pm works for you, but I enjoy having breakfast and dinner and eating at home when possible, and my schedule is such that I leave kind of early and don't get home 'til late, so I tend to eat at 6 am, 12, and 9 pm (sometimes later, but for me also no snacking) and that worked well with my preferences and schedule. It's personal. (I mention this because the whole IF thing and not eating after some time are both things that tend to be pushed currently but are not necessary.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Don't keep it in mind - ignore it . Your total calorie intake is the only thing that regulates weight up and down. A balanced diet is important in order to be able to stick to appropriate calories, but that does not defy the need for appropriate calories. Because you need a balanced diet, you have to have different foods, with different nutritional profiles, in your diet. Fruit and vegetables and dairy and grains all provide different nutrients that you need, and they are yummy together, so you'll be more likely to stick to your diet.

Many people tend to think that there is a perfect diet somewhere, that the trick is to just find it, and that they can and should stick to it, even though it's hard. But that's not how it works. A diet can be "perfect" nutritionally, but if you don't stick to it, it won't work. It's the opposite - any diet that provides a calorie deficit, will "work", the question is whether you'll stick to it.

This is really good advice.