What’s the worst thing your mother in law has done/said?

Options
GemstoneofHeart
GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
In the spirit of the holidays....

Replies

• activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I love mine!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Two Christmases ago, she walked right into our bedroom when we were already in bed, no knock, acted super weird and like she wanted to catch us doing stuff, handed us a night light, and then pat me on the butt while still laying in bed.

We got up and left.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Mine was always respectful of me. Worse thing that ever happened was that she developed dementia and then passed away, saddening my wife and her family.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I wish mine was still here to say horrible things to me. She was a breast cancer survivor for many many years and past away 4 years ago last month.
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Told me I couldn't sit on her furniture because I was too fat. I had to go out and purchase a folding chair when we went to visit her (two day drive). She also chose to visit with her friend at the country club rather than meet her new granddaughter for the first time. 30 minutes away after driving two days we got phone call to go to the house, there were hot dogs available. She was going to spend the evening with her friends at the club. WICKED WOMAN!

I'm now divorced and MIL is deceased, so things are better for me now.

• rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My MIL has always been very good to me. We have different opinions on a few things but have always gotten along well.

I have to share one funny story, though. When my husband and I were dating, I was trying to think of a good gift idea for his parents and thought some unusual Christmas ornaments might be cool, so I gave them several as a gift that year. Many years later after we were married, we were over my in-laws before Christmas. She was decorating the tree and was paring down her ornament collection simultaneously. Not remembering that I had given her the ornaments, she asked me if I wanted several of the ones I had given her, as she had never cared for them and couldn't remember where she got them. It's one of the things we laugh about every year when we put my rejected ornaments on our Christmas tree. We still haven't told her about it. :)
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    I adore my Mother in Law. She was one of the reasons I stayed married for as long as I did. Didn't want to lose her...turns out we still talk and get together often :)
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    My MIL was a hair dresser, and she had colored, cut and curled my hair several weeks before my wedding, and I loved it, but when I got home I noticed there was a spot where the color hadn't taken, so I had asked her if she could fix it. She got insulted and said she "didn't thinks he could please me" so she was not gonna do my hair before the wedding. TWO weeks before the wedding. Some dude at haircuttery ended up doing it and it didn't look that good. :/
  • SneakyVee
    SneakyVee Posts: 640 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don’t know much about my MIL, but I could tell you everything about my mother. That woman loves to talk on the phone let me tell you, and she also makes a mean meatloaf, especially when I degradingly yell “Ma where’s the meatloaf” from the next room.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Didn't bother to show up to our wedding
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Handing my young daughter her christmas gift, an outfit much to small for her, and saying if it doesn't fit you can give it to your cousin (her other grand daughter) christmas spirit my *kitten*!!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love my MIL. Anything that I THOUGHT she was doing bad to me became insignificant with more age, maturity and wisdom on my part. I realize now that she just loves hard, protects her family and TAKES NO CRAP. I can't even explain how much I have learned from her. She's a beast in the very best way. Love you Mommy (in-law).
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty sure even the devil has a nicer heart than my MIL.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Mine lives out of town and doesn't visit often but she has always been nice. I think she was disappointed to find I had opted for a hysterectomy to treat my fibroids (had only been married 1.5 years prior to the surgery) because that meant no grandchildren (not that there would've been any, anyway, since I didn't want them), but she actually did quite a good job of keeping the disappointment hidden.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Mine lives out of town and doesn't visit often but she has always been nice. I think she was disappointed to find I had opted for a hysterectomy to treat my fibroids (had only been married 1.5 years prior to the surgery) because that meant no grandchildren (not that there would've been any, anyway, since I didn't want them), but she actually did quite a good job of keeping the disappointment hidden.

By sending you baby clothes in the mail?
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Homeopathic medicines are effective.