Are soreen bars / malt loafs that healthy?

Options
I used to eat malt loaf bars but stopped as they included a fair but of syrup and sugar in them.

Decided that many better options were available such as fruit and nut bars with no added sugars.

What do you think on malt loaf?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm not familiar with this food, but it looks like a dense sweet bread? I made something like this a couple of weeks ago and had it with breakfast. It was tasty, but it was calorie-dense enough that I wouldn't want it all the time.

Like anything else, if it fits into your calorie/nutrition goals, I would consider it "healthy."

It looks like a completely different food than nut bars or fruit, so I don't know if I would consider it a better option . . . just different.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love malt loaf and the other varieties. If i need a quick energy hit or have some calories left over for a treat i will have one of these bad boys, sometimes with a little nutella or alternative chocolate spread.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally wise I don't know if Malt loaf is any different from any other cake, though it perhaps has a higher fibre content. It's delicious though, and low in fat (until you replace the fat by spreading on an inch thick layer of butter...it's the only way to eat it)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's cake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - I eat Soreen malt loaf when I'm cycling as it's calorie dense, easy to digest and tastes nice.
    I prefer the original version to the banana flavour one.
    The lunchbox loaves are only about 95 cals I believe.

It's just one food which you need to put in context of your entire diet (noun) and diet (verb).

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I'm not talking about coffee and frozen peas. Most British people will know what I mean by processed food.

Maybe just share your definition then? Basically all foods which are commercially available today are processed in some way, so if you are using a specific definition to isolate a particular group of foods, then it would be helpful to know that. Also, @VintageFeline is from the UK and she already responded asking for specific examples and shared some of her observations related to ready meals (as I think they are often called in the UK).

It would also be helpful if you clarified what specifically you find concerning about the ingredients (which you called crap) in the foods you're referring to.