Calorie deficit, fat loss, body measurements

Options
Last year I lost almost 60 pounds on Weight Watchers. Got to goal in Nov 2016. I lost weight following the WW plan alone, while walking (8000 - 10,000 steps/day). 6 months ago I joined a gym. I have been consistently working out with a personal trainer 2x/week, private Pilates sessions 1x/week, and 2-3 cardio sessions (elliptical), getting 8000 - 10,000 steps 5-6x/week. On my first day at the gym, my personal trainer did a body fat assessment and took measurements.

Now 6 months later, although I feel stronger, am getting toned and overall look leaner, my weight has gone up 6 pounds. But my clothes fit great, and most are even looser! Each week I get on the scale, I feel I am close to my personal goal weight, but it shows I am creeping up.

Ok, so I thought I must be gaining muscle or losing inches? I had my trainer do my body fat assessment this morning. It didn't go down. It slightly went UP!! How? This doesn't make sense. Ok, then to measurements. Those slightly went UP too.

Starting weight: 206
Goal weight: 155
Lowest weight (May 2016): 147
Current weight: 153
5'7"
45 years old

MFP gives me 1350 cal/day. I eat anywhere from 1200 - 1600, with a weekly average of 1300. I should be losing! But on another note, my body is SO sore ALL THE TIME from my workouts (or even stress from work). I don't want to quit the gym, I know what the long term benefits are esp as I am getting older, but at the same time, I want the scale to move. I would like to be around 145 which is the middle range for my height.

Oh, and my trainer says I should be eating more to lose more ...

Thoughts or suggestions? Appreciate the feedback.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You don’t list your body fat numbers or any other measurements, so that makes it harder to give advice.

Here are some possible issues, in no particular order of importance.

1. Measurement error (not the scale but other measurements ). I know the same person did both but, depending on methodology, your changes could be not significant.

2. Your “goal weight” no longer fits your current body composition.
    3. After people have been losing weight for awhile, they tend to plateau, and over time, some of the weight creeps back on.
    4. You may need a diet break (and a workout deload as well).
    5. The whole “eat more to lose weight” thing is suspicious since it sounds like the trainer is going with the “starvation mode” cliche, which doesn’t speak well for his credibility.
    6. If your body is that sore, you could be overtraining—which goes back to #4. Kind of surprised the trainer hasn’t picked up on this.

Anyhow, these are just some general ideas. Ignore anything that doesn’t apply. If you have more numbers and feel comfortable sharing, that might provide more insight.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I find that many trainers are big on 'bro-science' and low on actual good advice. I'm not saying your training is full of woo but the comment about eating more to lose is very 'bro-sciencey'. Also, you should not be sore all the time. That is NOT how you workout. I would suggest cutting back and take everything the trainer says with a grain of salt (yes, salt is fine :wink: ).

If you feel better and your clothes fit better, then ignore the scale.
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response Azdak! Makes a lot of sense, esp #5 & 6. I did actually have my "whoosh" this morning. Down 2.4 pounds!
  • labblb86
    labblb86 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great advice dewd2, thx so much! I am really hesitant about eating more to lose more. I can see if I am hungry, but I am not going to eat just to add up more calories!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I know the eat more to lose weight is a slippery slope and borders on some fallacy, BUT there is a little bit of merit to it. Especially since you bring up the stress and always being sore. You may not be eating enough to recover and have good workouts. Having low energy, your body will just naturally move less. The majority of a person's calorie expenditure is not from the exercises they do, it's from their daily movements. Sometimes eating just a little bit more, makes you feel a lot better, be able to workout more intensely and just naturally move more throughout the day.