In the AM: exercise before food/food before exercise?

Options
Do you guys have anything in your stomachs before you work out in the morning? I'm not sure that I won't feel dizzy if I work out with nothing in my stomach. Has anyone had this problem or are you all generally okay with working out and then eating something substantial to replenish?

Replies

• kitkat1781
    Options
    I think this is one of those things where everyone is different. I can't have so much as a sip of water in the morning before a workout without getting bad stomach cramps, so I workout, shower, get to work, and then eat breakfast. My suggestion is to try both and see what makes you feel best.
  • Boxer_Chick
    Options
    I go to spin at 430 and I was really worried about this but hate to eat in the morning. I tried protein shakes or breakfast and ended up with stomach aches. I just do better to come home and eat after but everyone is different.
  • veganhoneys
    Options
    If you feel dizzy I think you should eat. I don't eat before working out in the morning because I have the opposite problem- if I eat within an hour of working out I get nauseated and have been known to throw up mid workout. I vote this is one of those everybody's different things
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Im with these two. I wait to eat till after. I get nausea if I try to before hand
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to eat SOMETHING before working out, otherwise I find I get dizzy or just crash in the middle of my workout. To reach your full potential during your AM workouts, I would totally recommend eating beforehand.

I usually have a bit of cereal with milk, a yogurt, or coffee and yogurt before mine. Afterwards, more cereal and a protein shake to replenish your body. I find milk is great before a workout too, although don't execrise right after or it might come back up....haha. And it doesn't taste as good then!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Food first, always. Your body has been fasting all night and needs to get some fuel.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I eat after AM workout. I am up at 5am working out and that is just too early for me to eat, especially right before a vigorous workout. I eat breakfast about 30 minutes after the workout.
  • qofspades
    qofspades Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat after I workout in the morning. Even in the military, you eat after your workout. I'm sure that everyone is different though.
  • Ratgirl35
    Ratgirl35 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat RIGHT after I exercise. I go to the gym at 5am and trying to eat anything too heavy slows me down and sometimes gives me an upset stomach.

If you feel dizzy, definitely eat something, even if it's light.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat something, even small. Otherwise, I do get light headed and such. Grab like a banana or something!
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Eat something light before your workout. I usually eat yogurt, banana or kashi bar. I do intense workouts though in the morning so if I don't have something to eat I have no energy about half way through.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana before I go to the gym in the mornings, but that is mainly so I can take my vitamins before I leave the house. Also I drive an hour to get to the gym....so it may be settled before I get there....idk
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to burn fat / lose weight and can do it on an empty stomach you'll burn stored fat for energy.
    The other option is a no calorie or low calorie pre workout supp like Jack3d to give you energy or 1/2 a banana.
    But everyone is different.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's different with everyone. I have a bowl of cheerios before I workout in the morning and then a protein shake immediately after, but do what works for you.
  • cheermom614
    Options
    I agree, I think everyone is different. You have to find what works for you. Personally, I eat breakfast before I workout but I wait about an hour after eating otherwise I get sick. I've found that for me, if I don't eat before my workouts I don't have as much energy
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Everyone is different. Try it both ways, or even eat something really small and light, workout, then eat something else.
  • sharishar
    sharishar Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I struggle to eat breakfast at the best of time but more so pre workout - I personally have just started a whey protein mix after my work out and finding it good, although even struggled to get that down. As everyone else says see what you are happiest at and go from there.
  • akell26
    akell26 Posts: 12
    Options
    Excellent responses! I'm only on day 2 of my challenge, so I haven't worked out this early before! I'll give it a try without eating first because I like that idea of burning stored fat. :)
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    I usually just have a banana beforehand. I hate eating first thing in the morning but a piece of fruit is something I can manage to get down without feeling too full right away, and without eating anything at all I always end up getting dizzy 10 minutes into my jog. I eat again after, using the meal for protein and complex carbs. I'm usually a bit hungry by then but not too much, which keeps me from overeating. Plus, there's a power hour of sorts where your body uses the nutrition from the food you eat 2 hrs after a workout more efficiently. I have a friend that does the same thing but with walnuts or a spoon of peanut butter instead of fruit. I personally choose fruit just because I'm hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) but I can see the benefit of a protein boost pre-workout. Her way works for her and mine works for me, you just need to experiment and find out what's best for you 'cause everyone's different.
  • beth651
    beth651 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink water throughout my workout but I don't eat until after my workout and showered. But everyone is different.