does cardio make you hungrier ?

Options
I do 60 - 90 mins on the elliptical everyday , burning off about 550-600 calories , but I get really hungry after I exercise ! I get so hungry that I do not manage to keep a calorie deficit !Is it normal ? what can be done about it ?

Replies

• Polaretapink
    Polaretapink Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    93pear93 wrote: »
    oh gosh, why do you do so much cardio workout?
    do you do any exercises at the gym or is it just cardio?

Just cardio and some squats and crunches
    I do that much to earn more calories ! As I am short and can only eat 1200 calories without cardio
  • Polaretapink
    Options
    I assume you're following MFP as intended and eating back at least a portion of those exercise calories?

If you're still going over you might need to cut back on the cardio a bit. I can't even imagine that long on the elliptical - I'd die of boredom long before I could reach 60 minutes on it!

I use my fitbit not MFP
    Yeah , true ! I dont get bored because I split them into 20 minute workouts while watching tv shows
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Try eating a small protein and carb snack right after working out. It doesn't have to be fancy, a glass of 2% milk will do, or some Greek yogurt with fruit. Eat something right away, give it 45 minutes to digest and normalize your blood sugars before you eat anything else.

This may or may not help you - some people instinctively raise their food consumption when they exercise - but having your blood sugar bottom out after working out definitely can be a factor in binge eating, so it's worth a try to see if it helps. Good luck!
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    so you are telling that you eat 1200 calories per day and do that cardio?
    whats your weight and height btw ?
  • Polaretapink
    Options

Nope. 1200 a day WITHOUT cardio. With cardio , I can eat about 1700 calories a day. 5'2 and 110 pounds
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My appetite is actually suppressed after working out (one hour Zumba, or 45 minutes running). When I eventually feel like a snack, I grab an apple and an ounce of cheddar cheese or scramble up 2 eggs. Both of those satisfy me. And of course, I drink water because sometimes dehydration often makes you think you're hungry.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Nope. 1200 a day WITHOUT cardio. With cardio , I can eat about 1700 calories a day. 5'2 and 110 pounds

You're at a healthy weight is your goal to maintain your weight? Is 1200 your maintenance calories?

I hope you're not trying to lose weight. And yes if you workout you may feel hungry which is why it's good to like eat back the calories burned, and make sure you're eating a good amount of proteins. I normally eat a protein bar right after working out.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No, my appetite is usually gone for an hour or two after as I go very hard on the Elliptical then do a sort of circuit routine with weights.
  • 93pear93
    93pear93 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    better be off with strength training, tabata, HIIT, classes instead of focusing on boring cardio which is the slowest way to reduce bf
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options

You're at a healthy weight is your goal to maintain your weight? Is 1200 your maintenance calories?

I hope you're not trying to lose weight. And yes if you workout you may feel hungry which is why it's good to like eat back the calories burned, and make sure you're eating a good amount of proteins. I normally eat a protein bar right after working out.

Trying to get back to 108 lbs . I have a really small frame! Honestly , I barely eat any protein ! The only high in protein foods I eat are eggs!

You don't eat meat, seafood, dairy or beans? If not you're cutting out a lot of food groups and should probably be worried about a number of nutrients including protein.
  • Polaretapink
    Options
    Sounds like your body is telling you to eat. Feed it!

But then I go over my TDEE :/
  • Polaretapink
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Trying to get back to 108 lbs . I have a really small frame! Honestly , I barely eat any protein ! The only high in protein foods I eat are eggs!
    I'm short as well, and I can tell you 110 is perfectly fine I wouldn't go crazy trying to lose 2 pounds. If you want to tone up your body more having a progress lifting schedule planned out does wonders! If I were you I'd eat at maintenance the calories given my MfP and do a combination of strength training and cardio.

I know its hard to believe , but in my case 2 pounds actually make a difference , especially in my belly ! I actually wish to focus on strength training and yoga , but idk why I am scared to reduce my cardio !

Yep. Very hard to believe. I am 3 inches shorter than you and an extra couple of pounds is not noticable. If you are really concerned eat at maintenance and add a strength training program to build your muscle mass instead. Your stomach will be flatter doing that than trying to lose a couple of pounds.

Also, if you are always so hungry eat more protein. It will help with satiety and help preserve muscle mass.
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I'm short as well, and I can tell you 110 is perfectly fine I wouldn't go crazy trying to lose 2 pounds. If you want to tone up your body more having a progress lifting schedule planned out does wonders! If I were you I'd eat at maintenance the calories given my MfP and do a combination of strength training and cardio.

I know its hard to believe , but in my case 2 pounds actually make a difference , especially in my belly ! I actually wish to focus on strength training and yoga , but idk why I am scared to reduce my cardio !

Yep. Very hard to believe. I am 3 inches shorter than you and an extra couple of pounds is not noticable. If you are really concerned eat at maintenance and add a strength training program to build your muscle mass instead. Your stomach will be flatter doing that than trying to lose a couple of pounds.

Also, if you are always so hungry eat more protein. It will help with satiety and help preserve muscle mass.

You don't eat meat, seafood, dairy or beans? If not you're cutting out a lot of food groups and should probably be worried about a number of nutrients including protein.

Nope :/ ! I really do lack protein ! My diet is basically : bread and chocolate and pasta sweets. Thats probably why my hair is getting weaker as well