Activities to replace "comfort" eating

Options
nspink22
nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone. I am just wondering if anyone has any good tips or activities for things they have replaced comfort eating with. I workout/go to fitness classes all through the week, but the weekends seem to be my downfall. My boyfriend is a pro athlete and Sundays are really the only days he has off and we are able to relax together. I find that this usually includes eating as a "fun" activity, which, since he exercises all the time, he can afford, but I cannot.

Anyway, I would just like to know what people would suggest for alternate activities. Since this is our one "rest" day together, I am looking for ideas that are not really exercise-related. Thanks!

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    walking, hiking, rock climbing, yoga, zumba, swimming, skating, running, bowling, movies, day-trips, etc.?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If snacking while watching television is a problem, take up something to keep your hands busy like crochet, knitting, counted cross-stitch, etc. Boyfriend can be eating messy snacks but you won't want to get it all over your needlework.

And note: needlework is not necessarily gender-linked. If you don't believe me, google Rosey Greer (famous former member of the Los Angeles Rams) and needlepoint. My brother used counted cross-stitch to stay awake when a resident in a NICU.
  • alihoule93
    alihoule93 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I super would love suggestions on this too. Lately I've been trying to go to my favourite coffee shops, order herbal tea, and visit with friends/write/read. I've found going to the places I enjoy and making better food choices to be helpful! I've found I can still go to some of my favourite restaurants, but I look up the nutritional information before hand, make my choice, and work my day around it as much as I can. It's not always doable, but sometimes it works!!

As far as something to do with other people/an SO, maybe cook a healthy meal together? That way you spend time together, and you both can enjoy the result. I've been experimenting with healthier dessert options as of late, and there are some super creative recipes out there! I also meal prep with friends/cook dinner for them/enjoy a drink or two.

Other stuff I've done to keep from emotional eating (which may help in this case): watching a TV show at home, going on walks with friends (not really for the exercise, more to explore), volunteered to babysit for friends, yoga (even a yin class, which is focused on stretch), volunteer work (for example, I work with an organization where I live to help with public education initiatives), and trying new activities. A fun indulgent thing I do is go to the spa, so I'm still getting that self pampering/care I'm craving. Lots of spas have couples massage packages/hot tubs/etc. (at least where I live, obviously this isn't the case everywhere).

I also think though that the big thing to remember is that it's totally okay to indulge a little too. If having a nice meal is something you like to do together, it's not going to impede your progress to do that once in a while. Maybe not every week, but life happens! Enjoy it!
  • lizzy8102
    lizzy8102 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk, Try a craft like sewing, patching quilts, making something for someone. I picked up Quilt patching
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I found reading helped me instead of watching tv or movies!
  • Cheekychin24
    Cheekychin24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My advice would be eat whatever your boyfriend is eating on Sunday, just a smaller amount of it, add in extra healthy food at the same time to fill you up if needed and enjoy the day. The other thing would be to suggest to your boyfriend that you guys do something else which doesn't involve eating fun food on that day perhaps. I don't think distracting from eating helps to be honest, and if you find snacking to be difficult due to overeating at snack time, perhaps consider stopping it completely on the weekends. Think about your next proper meal and how much you'll enjoy it and that it'll fill you up and have a cup of tea.
    Hope that is of some help, best wishes
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Boardgames! My fiance and I love them.

Instead of your usual snacks, you could put out a bowl of fresh carrots and celery with a light dip. Plain greek yogurt mixed with Ranch/Onion dip powder packs is tasty.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Eating is a fun activity! You can make it reasonable by planning to go out for a nice meal on Sunday and doing other things until/around meal time. Are there any museums, zoos, or other attractions near where you live? I like to "play tourist" in my city and go out to different places and take photos...it pads my IG account, too (LOL). Maybe go out to a play/concert/etc instead of the movies where popcorn is a temptation? Is there something you would like to learn to do? Maybe a class? A new hobby?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nspink22 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am just wondering if anyone has any good tips or activities for things they have replaced comfort eating with. I workout/go to fitness classes all through the week, but the weekends seem to be my downfall. My boyfriend is a pro athlete and Sundays are really the only days he has off and we are able to relax together. I find that this usually includes eating as a "fun" activity, which, since he exercises all the time, he can afford, but I cannot.

Anyway, I would just like to know what people would suggest for alternate activities. Since this is our one "rest" day together, I am looking for ideas that are not really exercise-related. Thanks!

but if you exercise through the week and this is your rest day why can't you afford to eat???

just curious....

relaxation could be things like watching movies...or playing cards or going for a walk or a hike.

Just because it's a rest day doesn't mean you have to sit all day does it?

what does your BF want to do?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If it's only 1x a week, I'd be extra strict the other 6, and enjoy the day with your BF (go by weekly calories instead of daily). Make good food choices, eat smaller portions, and enjoy your day. Add in some walking, tour a new near by town...
  • beany90a
    beany90a Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You could try just smelling your food, that could make a few hours pass by (joking) but it could help trick your brain that you've eaten

Also listening to a podcast can make an hour or two fly by
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Polish your nails. Smell is not delicious so not appetite affecting, can not snack with wet nails ,looks pretty which makes looking pretty elsewhere too, pretty color also serves as a goal reminder when you do go to eat.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Do some Internet searches of your general area and find some new interesting places to go and walk around. I'm lucky that I live close to the city as well as mountains, beach, and deserts and there seems always to be something going on or someplace to go that I've never been to before or just love to go back to. We even have some "hidden" trails near the house that are fun to walk/hike. Picnics are fun. My kids and I love doing inexpensive events on the weekends like music events with vendors or sometimes kid things. Of course food and drink is normally a part of that, but I've learned to limit myself and that is good. When I buy something I eat half of it and give the other half to my son who is a human garbage disposal. I normally bring my own drinks (unless its wine tasting and even that is doable in moderation) and something like beef jerky or nuts to munch on beside the vendor food. I log the walking calories as low impact exercise for the day which helps even out the calories. When at home I like to continually graze on snacks....always my downfall in the past. Now that I'm logging I really watch the caloric content of my snacks and substitute in some low cal drinks like Chai or herbal tea, iced coffee, chocolate cashew milk, sugar-free sparkling waters (sometimes w/ounce of alcohol) which I can slowly sip at. In addition to fruit I also eat a couple sugar-free desserts during the day which I've come to love and look forward to, especially the low carb fudge sickles. My ex and I shared several hobbies that we enjoyed at home on weekends like wine/beer making, cooking and baking together (healthy of course-we were low carb then and always trying new low carb/high protein recipes), and working in the garden which provided many of our vegetables. I like to do some yoga on my no-exercise days to keep me stretched out and burn a few calories, although that was one thing I could never talk the ex into trying...he was just too tight and wouldn't even try. Does your gym have a pool? That is one exercise I don't ever mind and in fact enjoy. We have a public pool in the summer that our family goes to for a few laps once a week in the evening and then watches movies in the park afterwards.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like walking around the mall. Even if I'm not going to buy anything its sometimes good to window shop. Reading is a good one too. I can watch fitness YT videos without having to munch on anything.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cook a nice meal together - no reason a pro athlete cannot have a healthy meal too, and something like steak, baked potato, veggies, isn't too bad. Also no reason you cannot simply have smaller portions or save some calories during the other 6 days to give yourself more leeway. Homemade popcorn is a pretty healthy snack if watching a film or tv or somesuch.

Or, you could get into games, whether that be console games or board games ... lots of gaming options out there.
    Personally, I have a meal out once a week, Saturday usually, with my boyfriend and I just fast the rest of the day so I have plenty spare.
  • DewGracen
    DewGracen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Adult coloring books
    1191818 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Polish your nails. Smell is not delicious so not appetite affecting, can not snack with wet nails ,looks pretty which makes looking pretty elsewhere too, pretty color also serves as a goal reminder when you do go to eat.

This is so true.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    what if you have a games day ? Break out the board games, crokinole, cards - whatever you prefer... you could actually prepare various dips that are low cal and dip veggies while you play . Walking or moderate bikes rides are nice as well. Its also fun to go to a place like 'dave and busters' also games but different types